• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be an interesting poll, just for fun and curiosity. This came about after reading Watson's thread about the windshield wiper arm incident on the R171.

I do read the car Owner's Manual the same evening that I take delivery of the car as far as 20+ years ago. I used to highlight the things that I thought willl be important tips for later but recently stopped as I could always use the index. In the case of the R171, I was able to read the manual ahead of time as it was available as a pdf download (Thanks Taroliw).

A little time invested in reading the manual will avoid some irritating mistakes later, just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
I'd like to say I read the OM through, but honestly, I only read what appeals to me or what I need to do to accomplish something.

I suppose I'd know more about the car if I did, but life has been very complicated and full of other more important things the last few years.

I know...piss poor excuse...but honest. :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well, I usually try to read, at least the important parts, of the whole Owner's Manual. For the SLK Owner's Manual, I have read the softcopy before getting the car... Unfortunately, I missed the point on wipers which seemed to be so obvious and unimportant... Nevertheless, I am wrong this time!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:I wish I had the time to read the owners manuals for my vehicles thoroughly. I tend to use them as a reference as necessary.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Reckon its my aviation training, I read the manual cover to cover before operating the vehicle. Specially new ones with many electronic features. The problem with manuals today is the use of terms that are not interchangeable from make to make. ie: the slk manual talks about the roof luggage rack if installed and the next sentence refers to the luggage cover for roof ops. Not being familiar with the term luggage cover, after the recall tail light replacement, the tech left the cover rolled up. When I tried to retract the top it failed to work. First thought, tech knocked a wire loose when working. Wrong, the dang cover needs to be extended and secure. I looked like an idiot when the service advisor opened the boot, extended the cover and lowered the top. We all got a big laugh and I drove 40 miles back home with the top down. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
294 Posts
One would think reading the manual would be common sense to do
after spending $55K. Problem is, I don't differentiate between
vehicle manuals, cell phone volumnes, a digital camera treatise,
computer software/hardware fixes, and flossing my teeth;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I read mine, but it was tough. I mean I think they could have shortened it by 200+ pages if they had left out the repetitive warnings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.