Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the way home, had the top down, shades on. I couldn't resist the temptation to 'divert' my home journey. Normally it tends to take 5-10 mins coming back from where I had been. But today it took me 2 hours LOL, the petrol gauge wasn't happy either. Defo worth it though!! :D

Is it just me who does this?!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,223 Posts
nope. i always deviate from my normal route so I can get new glances directed at my baby

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I have a "fast" route home as well as a "curvy road" route home. The more fun one takes about 15 minutes longer, but it is the one I always take on a "Top Down" day. I also have one or two "detours" on the slow route that have even more curvy roads on them.

This is the first time in my life I have ever looked for the slowest way to get some where.

I love that car . . :rb

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I'm in mourning today :(

Had a lovely drive into work this morning, top down, had a 250 cdi behind me at some lights so I do a little two handed wave behind - and she waved back! She perhaps thought she needed to humour me :biglaugh:

but then .......................................

on the way back home tonight (and yes I did a bit of a detour too!) across my path at a T junction shoots another pearl beige beastie with top down. I mean how inconsiderate. I expected MB to retire the color. Its just not on. Sulking now. :(

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55
415 Posts
It happened today! Off to the post office and bank, about a 20 minute trip. Weather: clear and 73 deg F. Total time of the “trip”: 90 minutes. And I still can’t figure out how MB designed the SLK55 exhaust to be so quite during cruise and sound so GREAT under hard acceleration. :rb

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
What a great day - did the same - took the full hour I usually spend for lunch burning petrol! Made dinner even better!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It happens a few times a week. The normal 19.5 mile drive home on mostly highway becomes 30 on back roads with some amazing curves.

IF you are in the area the following road was made for a Merc roadster -

Race Road in Howard County MD USA. Start at the Hanover Road end and go to Furncae Avenue.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I often drive aimlessly about town and in the country. 30 miles along the river to breakfast is my favorite trip. Cruising in town is great for watching people, cars, and architecture......I could care less if anybody looks back or waves. Touring in the country is best since we have glass smooth roads some straight for miles....some curvy......so slow to vert fast works well!

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Not as much as I used to, my drive back home is mostly highway now. I used to take it on back country roads all the time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Definitely. My normal 13 mile commute is through some pretty nice scenery. Since I got the car 2 months ago, I think I've done over 2 dozen diversions or extra trips just to take it out and drive it through some nice areas. This time of year in SoCal the weather just screams for top-down cruising.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's good to know that I am not alone in this habit of "lengthening" my drive home, taking insane roads not savvy for the MPG, or just taking the keys on a Weekend afternoon and find out that I was driving for hours without any reason or destination.

In a common car, this could be just stupid... in the SLK is just plain right thing to do.

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are definitely those times where I take a longer ride home because the sun and air are too nice to miss, the top is down, etc.

Then there are the longer rides when I have the car sealed up because I am enjoying the music or a lecture on the stereo.

Then there are the longer rides because traffic home is just too stupid, so I go the other way, end up on the mountain ridge 25 miles in the other direction, and enjoy a bit of conversation or a bit of reading, and a cup of coffee, while the other cars get out of the way.

There are just too many good reasons to enjoy driving this car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
at the beginning of the summer season- All the time. When I get later in summer, quite a bit less. same story in winter (although thats because I drive the 4x4 and love to attack back road snow piles). Either way though once you get over that early season high, less often.

I always wondered, you people in the south US and warmer countries don't get the opportunity to get the season-highs, so I wonder how much that effects driving behavior?

·
Registered
628 Posts
at the beginning of the summer season- All the time. When I get later in summer, quite a bit less. same story in winter (although thats because I drive the 4x4 and love to attack back road snow piles). Either way though once you get over that early season high, less often.

I always wondered, you people in the south US and warmer countries don't get the opportunity to get the season-highs, so I wonder how much that effects driving behavior?
In the San Francisco Bay Area, the weather is such that if I want to I can run summer tires all year round. That's a nice difference from driving in New York (where I lived for my first 28 years). And I use the sports car all year round, and can put the top down through most of the winter, even if only for brief spurts.

I usually put "ultra high performance" all season tires on, however, so as not to go bankrupt on tire life. ;-)

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
This road is literally 30 seconds from home. I make a left turn off the main road to go home, if I go straight at the light, I end up here. YES, absolutely YES, I divert myself all the time.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.