Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do aftermarket SLK 350 springs fit on AMG models?

Anyone know or have experience with the matter? The representatives at H&R said they should but they can't guarantee it.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,135 Posts
Forgive me, but you have a new r172 and you want to mess with the springs already on an under warranty vehicle?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgive me, but you have a new r172 and you want to mess with the springs already on an under warranty vehicle?
Yes. Springs will not void the entire vehicle's warranty. If anything a dealer could so choose to claim the aftermarket springs voided the warranty on say the stock shocks etc but I am not too worried about that. As far as modifications, my dealer pretty much said just don't touch the ECU.

When I would bring in my modified Infiniti G37 to the dealers I would just get compliments or thumbs ups from the service techs. Dealers get paid by the manufacturers for warranty work so a lot of times it makes no difference to them.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
My expectation is that the springs in a 55 will be shorter and stiffer than those on a 350 as the engine is heavier. Gearbox is probably heavier too. So fitting 350 springs doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I too don't understand why you want to do this mod or what you expect to achieve. If the 55 was a better car with 350 springs, MB would surely fit 350 springs.

All that said, it's your car so whatever makes you happy...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My apologies for not being more specific. Aftermarket springs such as H&R sport or Eibach Pro Kit. There are no listed part numbers for AMG models. So what I am asking is for advice by anyone who has lowered their AMG, any generation, or know others who have, are the set of springs designated for the 350 or such closest engine compatible for installation on the AMG model, etc?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I think you will find several people have gone to coil overs to properly lower the 55. Just springs or sway bars, etc just screw the geometry up and you will sacrifice many other things just to get the car lower. In the long run the coil overs do the job right and in the end you'll be happy with the car and save $$.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you will find several people have gone to coil overs to properly lower the 55. Just springs or sway bars, etc just screw the geometry up and you will sacrifice many other things just to get the car lower. In the long run the coil overs do the job right and in the end you'll be happy with the car and save $$.
Thank you for that input. I was considering coilovers as my first option but then thought maybe just go with springs so as not to completely waste the car's electronic ride control feature with the stock shocks.

I was thinking about it yesterday and the AMG springs are of course a bit shorter and stiffer than the 350's and if aftermarket springs such as the H&R sport I'm looking at lower the car by 1.5" then even using those aftermarket 350 springs vs stock AMG may not show the noticeable difference I am looking to achieve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts