Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious-

If you're going to have the car in for service like an oil change
or "15k" type check ups do they offer a loaner or do you have to ask?

Does it vary by dealer, relationship? I'm talking about bay area, south bay of California (Smythe, Autobahn, Fletcher, etc.)

Curious...

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
It probably varies from dealers, I know Mercedes of Westminister (aka Glauser0 give out free loaners, even offer to pick your car up at your home and drop off a loaner for you but they are an exception. The other MB dealers doesn't have that kind of service.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Von Housen in Sacramento offers free loaners or free rentals from Hertz. I think they cater to the customer based on their vehicle. For example, I always get a C or ML class. However, I do see them ocassionally give out the Hertz rental instead. I don't know if that's for lesser models or just when they run out of the other MB loaners

D

·
0 Posts
In the UK we are required to supply an MB loner for breakdowns and repair work other than a basic service if the owner requests one.

And it must be of similar spec if somebody arrived in an S we could not give them a smart car loner would need to be something like a C, E or CL.

I know this does not directly help you Doug mate i am just surprised if its not like this in the US also.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
In the UK we are required to supply an MB loner for breakdowns and repair work other than a basic service if the owner requests one.

And it must be of similar spec if somebody arrived in an S we could not give them a smart car loner would need to be something like a C, E or CL.

I know this does not directly help you Doug mate i am just surprised if its not like this in the US also.
Sorry ,so in the UK we dont get a curtesy car when we bring the car in for a scheduled service? not nice.. if this is the case.

P

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got the impression from my dealer that they had them and were willing to let you have one free of charge but I had to request it at the time of appointment. I got a C230 Sport free of charge with the exception that I have to fill it back up when I dropped the SLK55 off today, but as stated had to request it at the time of appointment. Hmm I think that is a run on sentenence.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Just curious-

Does it vary by dealer, relationship? I'm talking about bay area, south bay of California (Smythe, Autobahn, Fletcher, etc.)

Curious...
The one I go to in Laguna Niguel offers MB loaner cars if you have an appointment and ask for it at the time you make the appointment. If you just drive-in (without an appointment), then it's based on availability.

Going in at 2 pm generally works, because that's when most loaner cars are being returned.

I generally make an appointment and 90% with the same service advisor, so loaner cars is not a problem. I try to go on my day off so I can "wait" if it's a quick service like oil and filter change. This allows me to browse the other cars in the showroom and chat with the parts people and sometimes get a free research from their parts computer if they're really quiet with no other customers.

NO CAR WASH is requested as I want to do the wash myself and to be sure they don't scratch up the paintwork, plus I get the car much sooner.

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry ,so in the UK we dont get a curtesy car when we bring the car in for a scheduled service? not nice.. if this is the case.

P
No its not quite like that if you ask for a car when you book a service you will get one but it might take a little longer for you to get an appointment you can't say i will be there at 9am in the morning and i want a car its the dealers call when you are booked in so they can get you a car.

If you car arrives on breakdown and you have to be somewhere you can say hey look i gotta be going fix mine this second or i need a car and you are entitled to one there and then.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
No its not quite like that if you ask for a car when you book a service you will get one but it might take a little longer for you to get an appointment you can't say i will be there at 9am in the morning and i want a car its the dealers call when you are booked in so they can get you a car.

If you car arrives on breakdown and you have to be somewhere you can say hey look i gotta be going fix mine this second or i need a car and you are entitled to one there and then.
Thanks Dan, I am approaching my second service. I will bear this in mind.

P

·
Registered
267 Posts
loaners

Yes there are mercedes C class, M class, E class for loaners. Talk to your SA and request what you need. It will be provided! ;) I've gotten them from Autobahn, Smythe, and Fletcher.

If someone tells you some crap like you didn't buy the car here ... just talk to the SA.

·
Founding Member #5
170 Posts
Yes there are mercedes C class, M class, E class for loaners. Talk to your SA and request what you need. It will be provided! ;) I've gotten them from Autobahn, Smythe, and Fletcher.

If someone tells you some crap like you didn't buy the car here ... just talk to the SA.
Just dropped off my car today. Got a 2007 C230 from South Bay Mercedes in CA.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Just curious-

Curious...
The rule in South Florida is the dealer will only provide you with a loaner if you bought the car there. If you are at a different MB dealer then you bought the car from, they won't do it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well that sucks.

I am bringing the 55 in for rattles and other items that make it crappy to drive and they are giving me a loaner again so I am glad my dealer is willing to do that. I fill it back up with gas when i'm done and they are happy. Oh well maybe they can fix all the rattles, the sometimes squeeling belt, whining ps pump (or whatever it is), oem windscreen that doesn't "click" in on one side that causes it to squeek with the top down, key surface is cracking on the lock button. What a list. Oh and balance the tires and probably over torque them again. Ok, sorry I vented a bit. I can't imaging why my relationship with my SLK is love/hate.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Well that sucks.

I am bringing the 55 in for rattles and other items that make it crappy to drive and they are giving me a loaner again so I am glad my dealer is willing to do that. I fill it back up with gas when i'm done and they are happy. Oh well maybe they can fix all the rattles, the sometimes squeeling belt, whining ps pump (or whatever it is), oem windscreen that doesn't "click" in on one side that causes it to squeek with the top down, key surface is cracking on the lock button. What a list. Oh and balance the tires and probably over torque them again. Ok, sorry I vented a bit. I can't imaging why my relationship with my SLK is love/hate.
Ugh... That **** don't play for non-Italian cars.

I'm having the same feelings with my car, but they have more to do with the ****ty stock suspension and wanting to have the sport suspension and steering again.

It seems like you guys have more things with the 55's then the 350 / 280 guys do. Is it that you pay more and are supposed to be frustrated more?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just curious-

Curious...
I have 4 cars serviced by Autobahn, it seems you will get a free loaner as long as your car is still under warranty, otherwise you get a shuttle ride. Loaners generally are C and sometimes E and ML, they are Enterprise rentals so you have to replace the gas and Enterprise may get you to buy extra insurance, which I normally decline. But if they run out of Mercedes Benz loaners then they may get some other cars from a different site for you, Enterprise has an office there just for Autobahn customers.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mercedes Benz Pleasanton has so far provided a loaner (and I have one now) for me. They have been C230's and that's all they have- also from Enterprise on site. I tell the SA I'm coming from the south bay and don't have a way to get back and they have always been quick to provide one.

I'm off to pick up the 55 this afternoon. We'll see if they tweeked the SW I asked them to.

Guess I ended up answering my own question in the end.

-Doug

·
Registered
87 Posts
Usually all I get are black or beige C240's and C280's. About 7 years ago, The very first loaner I received was a ford focus ZX3 and that was pretty fun to drive.

Nowadays, the only way to get a loaner is if you bought a car from the dealership. If not, then no loaner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts