Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that one side of my 1999 SLK230 is lower than the other. I prefer the passenger side, which is higher. I never changed the suspension. But I noticed the driver side coil bends more than the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Banned
330 Posts
Springs & Things!

I noticed that one side of my 1999 SLK230 is lower than the other. I prefer the passenger side, which is higher. I never changed the suspension. But I noticed the driver side coil bends more than the passenger side.
For the heck of it, I have measured the ride height of all the cars I have owned over the years. I have found the driver's side is 0.125->0.250" lower than the passenger's. The rears has always had equal measurement.

The difference might be explained by the passenger's seat is often empty and the weight in the engine department probably isn't equally distributed along the centerline of the vehicle biasing the driver's side.

Regarding your car, it's 18 years old which is a long time to support the heaviest end of your car. As far as a bend in your springs, why don't you measure your ride height? More than a 0.250" difference might signal a replacement is due.>:D

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Do you know if your springs have ever been changed? If not, then yes, you might as well replace the springs. Also, it's likely your shocks won't last much longer either so you might as well change them too. How are your rears?

I got an adjustable kit for mine, as in, you can manually adjust the ride height. Think the kit was about £350 and included springs and shocks. Have done a couple of long trips and just got home from a trackday, 1000% better than the old suspension (but then the old suspension was 15 years old lol).

Kit was made by Prosport suspension based in the UK, bought through a seller on ebay

Dez

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
561 Posts

Bottom coil of the "bent" spring looks like is missing :surprise:

New springs :smile:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot. I am thinking on changing the front coils. The rears are fine. I was thinking of buying Bilstein brand. I heard they were good.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
the left side doesn't look seated correctly. I've had this happen on mine after doing some suspension work. It could also be missing a spring-pad on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m going to check it out this weekend. I want to take the wheel off and inspect it closer. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciation

1 - 8 of 8 Posts