Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 280 with the factory Comand (A40/3) head unit. I'd really like to use a Bluetooth "puck" to connect my phone but I have no connector in the phone compartment or anywhere in the console. Should I assume there's pre-existing wiring buried in the console somewhere which I could tap into? If so, can anyone help me find them. If not, how do I add them? Sidebar: To recapture space in the glove box, I have removed the CD changer and simply bypassed the fiber optic MOST connector. If the phone connected through the MOST system, I could use the available connector there. (And if you want a changer, this one would be a bargain. I don't use it.)

Datacard, BTW, says "MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS) USA / CANADA" Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,379 Posts

·
103,379 Posts
your datacard says:
387 MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS) USA / CANADA

i would say yes then

I also took -5 points for your spelling Comand...command. Comand has 1 'm' :D

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,751 Posts

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the response. I've been exploring since my first post and found (though full of dust as I expect the photo will show) the connectors in the bottom of the upper compartment. I also noted the apparent location of the cutout in the floor of the compartment which would hold the contact plate. It would appear now all I need is the plate itself and the bluetooth dongle. eBay appears to have both (parts A2158200611 and B67875878). I also came across a Star Bulletin pertaining to cell phones which is attached; it might help others, as well. It was a photo in this document which helped me find the connectors.

And I want my 5 points back...it WAS spelled with one "m" in the original post.

Please redirect me if I'm driving off a cliff.

Attachments

·
103,379 Posts
I fixed your original post and removed the extra 'm' :D

I fix misspelled (misspelt) Comand and other grammar spelling when I catch it.

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yer a clever fella. I never noticed, nor did I know you could edit it. Thank you. Where were you when I had a career in journalism? Am I moving in the right direction on this?

·
103,379 Posts
:D I was your editor, remember? Mercedes just decided to call their thing Comand with 1 'm'. The golden rule. those that have the gold, make the rules :D

·
2,751 Posts
Please redirect me if I'm driving off a cliff.
No you're not, but I'm a surprised that allthough you have option 387 the connector is not there. Mine came with option 386 (the European version, no idea what the difference is with the USA/Canada version) and here the connector is always already present.

And btw COMAND is short for Cockpit Management and Data system, hence the 1 'M'.

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the definition of COMAND. Didn't think there even needed to be one. As for the quest, I've ordered both the connector and puck. Will hope for the best when they arrive.

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,472 Posts

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Thought I had it licked. Identified the car is pre-wired and found the magic plugs in the console. So I bought (both on eBay) a contact plate and a 5878 "puck" adapter. Both arrived today. Contact plate installed find; plugs matched perfectly. But when I attached the adapter, no lights, no indication of any activity. Checked all the vehicle fuses that might make a difference (even the 7.5 amp in the truck "equipment carrier"). Nuthin' Ok, so eBay is always a crapshoot but very discouraging. Can anyone tell me how to test these things? Is there a way to determine whether power is reaching the contact plate; or how to figure out if the adapter is good? Any help would be terrific. Thanks.

·
2,751 Posts
Maybe it's only pre-wired and needs STAR coding to have the interface activated?
When you scroll through the different options in the MFD is there a Telephone menu? If not it needs to be coded with STAR.
Does anything happen when you press the pair button on the puck? Do you see the SSID of the puck on your phone? (MB PhoneSystem)
Other than that I know no other way to test these pucks than to connect them in car that has a working telephonesystem.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I installed a Visseo puck in my car. I removed the connector cover and the puck slid in without any other adapter. The puck appears in Com(m)and as Visseo. I then paired my phone with the puck. The puck will pair with multiple phones but each one has to be selected on the puck as required. HTH.

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I started this thread three years ago and never finished it. After noting the 387 MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS) USA / CANADA on the datacard but not finding a puck or connector plate in my console, I ordered both from eBay, wired them in and got nowhere. I think I tried to confirm that the hardware was in the trunk and finding nothing that looked right, I gave up. I didn't try the STAR diagnosis which Jeff suggested (which is ALWAYS a bad thing -- ignoring his advice) and returned the puck.

Three years later I'm back at it again. After seeing the 389 code on a 2007 SL550 with the same note (plus COMPL.) and a puck plate installed I wanna try again. If there's a chance, I'll buy another puck and connector. Any advice?

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the never-ending story BUT thee may be a conclusion. After fighting with the puck and getting nowhere to install Bluetooth I have again concluded the pre-wiring on my datacard really just means I need a completer kit and a physics degree...and a lot of cash. So I've placed an order for the FISCON Mercedes Pro BT kit (thanks, as always, to threads Jeff found for me).

I'll try installing it when it arrives; maybe that can help me address the issue for others but in the meantime, who can tell me how to access the factory overhead mic locations? I suspect there never was a mic in there if I only had the pre-wiring option but if there is one, I'd like to use that rather than hang one in the cockpit somewhere. Or maybe the FISCON mic can fit into that space. Looking at it, I'm not even sure how I would change the overhead bulbs so there must be access.

Help anyone? Still probably a couple weeks from install so I'll keep looking. Thanks.

·
103,379 Posts

·
2,751 Posts
It's the never-ending story BUT thee may be a conclusion. After fighting with the puck and getting nowhere to install Bluetooth I have again concluded the pre-wiring on my datacard really just means I need a completer kit and a physics degree...and a lot of cash. So I've placed an order for the FISCON Mercedes Pro BT kit (thanks, as always, to threads Jeff found for me).

I'll try installing it when it arrives; maybe that can help me address the issue for others but in the meantime, who can tell me how to access the factory overhead mic locations? I suspect there never was a mic in there if I only had the pre-wiring option but if there is one, I'd like to use that rather than hang one in the cockpit somewhere. Or maybe the FISCON mic can fit into that space. Looking at it, I'm not even sure how I would change the overhead bulbs so there must be access.

Help anyone? Still probably a couple weeks from install so I'll keep looking. Thanks.
Here's some more info.
Btw, had a Fiscon in one of my previous R171's. Works perfect and yes, the microphone fits in the space designed for the original mic. You will have to remove the A-pillar lining for the wire to the Fiscon behind the dash.

Attachments

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank you both Jeff and Pete. Additional question: is it possible -- or advisable -- to wire the FISCON mic line into the two existing mics? I'm making the assumption I have the mics in place but as a "pre-wired" but minimally-ready vehicle I don't think I can assume anything anymore.

And a simple question (I think). Do the reading lamp lenses pop out without removing the console?

Thanks

·
103,379 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.