Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the likes of Photoracket and others
many of the accompanying photos in DiY threads are now missing.:surprise::crying:

So, if you are looking at doing some diy please take some shots.:wink:

If you add them in a reply then mods can add them to the earlier posts.

There are many of us on here that are not home mechanics (myself included).
The diy threads are so good that they encourage us to have a go.
Photos are an essential part of this.

You're thinking 'why not get the original posters to do this?'.
Simple, many threads are ten years old. You try finding a photo (or several) from that far back.
A handful of members wrote many of the diy threads.
Let's lend a hand and help restore these threads back to the original condition.

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance to those that help out on this project.:smile:

Myk

Note: IF A DiY THREAD IS CLOSED (ie you are unable to add a reply).
Then please post a link to the thread here and add your photos here.
We can sort it on a quiet night (when JB is in Vegas :D )

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
Myk, I have a list of the images that were used in my V8 build thread (that got blocked by photobucket). It contains the post # and which picture (#) goes with it. there's a good 30 images that would need to be replaced. Is there a way to send the list (MS word) with the pictures in a batch folder?

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Myk, I have a list of the images that were used in my V8 build thread (that got blocked by photobucket). It contains the post # and which picture (#) goes with it. there's a good 30 images that would need to be replaced. Is there a way to send the list (MS word) with the pictures in a batch folder?
Tech stuff? Me?! :surprise:

I'll ask the boys.
@jbanks15 @WoZ53 @dbgrn

Sheesh, I only just learned how to light the candle:grin:

·
1,433 Posts
It would also be very nice if we could edit posts over 10 days old ;)

It would save a lot of time in this situation.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,053 Posts
That is a forum management decision across all their forums

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A handy tip from Len.

I've been able to restore photos from threads started by other people that have been photobricked..

What you can try (if you need a pic that's been hijacked) is to copy a phrase from that thread and relevant to that pic (or google a question related to that problem) and then in the google "answer", hit images. You may be able to find a pic that has been archived by google.

You can then link that archived pic to the thread in question on this site.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Do you have any shared online storage where you can upload the photos and Word doc (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)? If so, upload them to a shared folder, PM me the link to it and I'll fix the broken photos for you tomorrow.

Let me know if you don't and I'll find somewhere for you to load them of my own...

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have any shared online storage where you can upload the photos and Word doc (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)? If so, upload them to a shared folder, PM me the link to it and I'll fix the broken photos for you tomorrow.

Let me know if you don't and I'll find somewhere for you to load them of my own...
We can download photos and adobe docs as attachments.
I wonder if this will work for MSword.

Print the document (use the option for 'Microsoft print to pdf').
This saves it to the pc.
Then try attaching that doc as you would a photo.

If I'm preaching to the converted, sorry.
I'm not the most tech savvy guy.

·
11,404 Posts
We can download photos and adobe docs as attachments.
I wonder if this will work for MSword.

Print the document (use the option for 'Microsoft print to pdf').
This saves it to the pc.
Then try attaching that doc as you would a photo.

If I'm preaching to the converted, sorry.
I'm not the most tech savvy guy.
Thanks Myk, although it'll be much easier for me to take them from a regular shared storage location, and then do any potentially needed manipulation and re-upload them as appropriate from there. If Turdo2 has access to his own shared storage location (and knows how to upload stuff to it), that would be my preferred way forward.

If he has the knowledge how to upload, but doesn't have the shared storage, I'll find somewhere of mine that he can upload to.

If neither of the above are any good, then I can make your above suggestion work (assuming Turdo2 has enough space on the forum to upload the docs - given that he's a non-premium member).

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another handy tip from Steve:

Steve P Raper said:
Hi, ties in with Len's tip but you can use Wayback Timemachine to reveal old sites too.

Link ... Wayback Machine

paste the url in there and it can (sometimes) show history going...well...wayback.

hope it helps
Steve

·
1,433 Posts

Let me see what I can get figured out. Probably google drive - but it will have to wait till next week when I have some time. bizzy weekend ahead!

·
1,433 Posts
Thanks Myk, although it'll be much easier for me to take them from a regular shared storage location, and then do any potentially needed manipulation and re-upload them as appropriate from there. If Turdo2 has access to his own shared storage location (and knows how to upload stuff to it), that would be my preferred way forward.

If he has the knowledge how to upload, but doesn't have the shared storage, I'll find somewhere of mine that he can upload to.

If neither of the above are any good, then I can make your above suggestion work (assuming Turdo2 has enough space on the forum to upload the docs - given that he's a non-premium member).
If you give me a couple months to win Ride of the Month, that may be easier :grin:

I forgot my flash drive at home today. I'll try to have them uploaded with a "map" to where they go this weekend. most likely on google drive and I'll get back to everybody.

This, however, will only solve MY problems.. and not everyone elses. wish there was a better option. :frown:

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you give me a couple months to win Ride of the Month, that may be easier :grin:

I forgot my flash drive at home today. I'll try to have them uploaded with a "map" to where they go this weekend. most likely on google drive and I'll get back to everybody.

This, however, will only solve MY problems.. and not everyone elses. wish there was a better option. :frown:
Any progress is welcome.

With time we will get there.

Thanks for responding.

·
11,404 Posts

Thanks... just ping me with details, whenever you've had the time to upload them.

Believe me, I wish there was a better solution too... I still can't believe that PB have done what they've done, effectively (in my own personal opinion) trying to hold their members to ransom by suddenly charging (a large amount of money) for a fundamental capability that they've had in place for people to use for years!

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
Just a word on "the wayback machine " or archive.org.

I checked it out.

And yes you can go back in time to see pages at an ealier date, but they still contain a link to where the picture should be. But as it is the third party site which is the problem, you still dont get the picture.

Hope that made sence

Cheers

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
233 Posts
I just came across this thread, but earlier I happened to add all of my pics back to my project thread: http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/438705-so-i-may-have-gone.html

They are all in the order that they should be in, along with which post they belong in. I don't know if one of our gracious Moderators can work some magic to place them in their proper position, but at least they're in the thread somewhere :grin:

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just came across this thread, but earlier I happened to add all of my pics back to my project thread: http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r170/438705-so-i-may-have-gone.html

They are all in the order that they should be in, along with which post they belong in. I don't know if one of our gracious Moderators can work some magic to place them in their proper position, but at least they're in the thread somewhere :grin:
I'll have a play later on my break.

Thanks for your help. :tu:

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@S/RConcepts
Thanks for the method you have used.

Making it much easier to replace the lost stuff.

Anyone looking to help with this project, please take a look at the thread above.
If you can do something similar, it will be a great help.

·
1,433 Posts
Thanks... just ping me with details, whenever you've had the time to upload them.

Believe me, I wish there was a better solution too... I still can't believe that PB have done what they've done, effectively (in my own personal opinion) trying to hold their members to ransom by suddenly charging (a large amount of money) for a fundamental capability that they've had in place for people to use for years!
I was able to put the images and an excel sheet with where they go on Google Drives. Let me know who I should allow to view it. Thanks

·
26,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was able to put the images and an excel sheet with where they go on Google Drives. Let me know who I should allow to view it. Thanks

Dave @dbgrn will get in touch with you.

He's the clever mod. :tu:

Thanks for making the effort.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts