Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The upper trim on my R171 350 was in a poor state and I couldn't find anything specific on this site for replacing it.
Part number is MB-A1716710030
Bought a new trim from local MB dealer for A$42.07
Removed the old trim with a plastic trim lever (don't use metal)
Its held in by 5 metal clips evenly spaced across the top of the windshield. Took a little bit of wiggling but once the first one was out the rest were easy. The metal clips are firmly fixed in the channel between the windshield and the roof and are pretty robust. I was concerned about damaging the clips when I removed the trim but with hindsight I didn't need to worry.
The new trim pressed in fairly easily. Be careful not to bend it when pressing it in as it has a metal core that will kink and set you back to square one.
I tapped it in using a short length of wood to spread the load and a nylon mallet.
The result is very satisfying!
I hope the photos below help and encourage anyone out there with this issue to have a go.
Hand Watch Car Hood Automotive lighting
Hood Vehicle World Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350
148 Posts
The upper trim on my R171 350 was in a poor state and I couldn't find anything specific on this site for replacing it.
Part number is MB-A1716710030
Bought a new trim from local MB dealer for A$42.07
Removed the old trim with a plastic trim lever (don't use metal)
Its held in by 5 metal clips evenly spaced across the top of the windshield. Took a little bit of wiggling but once the first one was out the rest were easy. The metal clips are firmly fixed in the channel between the windshield and the roof and are pretty robust. I was concerned about damaging the clips when I removed the trim but with hindsight I didn't need to worry.
The new trim pressed in fairly easily. Be careful not to bend it when pressing it in as it has a metal core that will kink and set you back to square one.
I tapped it in using a short length of wood to spread the load and a nylon mallet.
The result is very satisfying!
I hope the photos below help and encourage anyone out there with this issue to have a go.
I've started this, but haven't been able to pop the first clip. Did you use a wide trim lever? Mine are on the narrow side and are just bending. Also, from your photo of the old trim piece, it looks like you started on the side, a couple of inches (7 - 10 cm) in from the edge. Thanks for the write-up! Safelite told me they might need to remove the windshield to do this, and I'm like back to doing this myself.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've started this, but haven't been able to pop the first clip. Did you use a wide trim lever? Mine are on the narrow side and are just bending. Also, from your photo of the old trim piece, it looks like you started on the side, a couple of inches (7 - 10 cm) in from the edge. Thanks for the write-up! Safelite told me they might need to remove the windshield to do this, and I'm like back to doing this myself.
The plastic trim lever I used was 2cm wide and yes - quite stiff. The first clip is situated a few cm in. I started right at the end of the trim piece and you can then get a hold of that and apply upward pressure while using the lever to ease up the trim a bit at a time. Once you have the first section out of the clip the rest will be easier. The clips themselves were pretty sturdy so as long as you are pulling the trim up vertically and not twisting it I don't think you will damage them.
Good luck

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
32 Posts
Very nice! I went the alternate route - a dremel with a sanding drum removed the rest of the black down to shiny metal. Some tape and flat black paint and it looks new again.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,882 Posts
Very nice! I went the alternate route - a dremel with a sanding drum removed the rest of the black down to shiny metal. Some tape and flat black paint and it looks new again.
I did similar 3 years back, but has started flaking this year.
Next time I will add an undercoat. Doh.

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,425 Posts
Read that paint has a hard time sticking to aluminum (needed to paint a shed) so I used rustoleum (no primer), Still good after 4 yr (y) Don't think it would be easy to match though :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts