Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been discussed, and i have read many threads but i can't get my specific question answered.

My 2005 UK SLK 350 came with just about every options apart from shift buttons on the steering wheel.

I bought and fitted a shift button steering wheel following directions on the thread but they don't shift the gears, i half hoped they would work but realised they probably wouldn't.

I believe i need to have the code 428 added to allow manual mode, can i do this myself using STAR ?

Or does anyone know of an Indy in the north west UK that will do the work for me?

Also, is there a software change i can do on the 7G transmission to speed up shifts?

Thanks in advance

klunk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,592 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.

I have read that the button is merely cosmetic once the steering wheel and software update is done.

Anyone know if i can DIY the coding?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,395 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
You need to have a account to Daimler mercedes to perform scn coding, a lot of people will do that via team viewer. But you need a c3 or c4 multiplexer with login credentials...
The paddle will not work unless you have the gear shift stick with c/s/m, in there is the module which need to be enabled and scn codding to be performed.
Call this company they can do the paddle for you but they are not cheap....

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/home.php

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Evening all ...

Long day in the 'office' today - still alive as the students didn't get the better of me ..!!

Quick Q to the OP (I've just got your PM by the way)

Can you shift gears using the left / right action on the gear shift ..? You can't really change the speed of the shifts with the 7G box, though resetting the adaptive stuff does make it feel lively again .... depending on where your car has been serviced, it may have had the gearbox software update done (I seem to remember reading that there was one for the 7g boxes, but not sure for what models / years it was for)

The CSM button is purely cosmetic, once the coding has been carried out, and the coding needs to be changed in the Central Gateway (CGW) & Electronic Selector Module (ESM) to enable the shift buttons / paddles on the steering wheel.

The main dealer probably won't touch this, so your local Indy will be your best bet - it's about a 15 minute job at the most to hook up to DAS and change / save the settings ...

It's not a DIY job though ....unless you have access to DAS

Anyone in the Northants area that can recommend an good Indy thats local ..?

·
4,592 Posts
@Seanhump
In order to activate the paddle you need the hardware c/m/s button.
I developer mode i have the option to activate the paddle shift but i can't i don't have the hardware to activate.
After you put the hardware c/m/s then you activated and perform scn codding

·
4,024 Posts
The CS and CSM button assemblies are the same - I have one of each here !!

Paddles can be activated in standard mode too (possibly depends on the DAS version) - that may help you Indy ...

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The CS and CSM button assemblies are the same - I have one of each here !!

Paddles can be activated in standard mode too (possibly depends on the DAS version) - that may help you Indy ...
Hi all,

I have got a quote of £90 from an Indy nearby who seemed to know his onions

I will post back when it is done and let you know the outcome, at least I know its not a DIY option and that Indys should be able to do it, although two said MB only..

K

·
4,024 Posts
Seems a little pricey, but they charge what they charge!!

Let us know how you get on ...

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems a little pricey, but they charge what they charge!!

Let us know how you get on ...
Yes i thought it was a touch pricey.

Just got bback paid my money and have my functioning buttons....

To confirm, i still only have the C-S button and yet when you press it, it cycles through C-S- M as i'd hoped.

Really happy with the results an especially with M mode so i can actually choose what gear i am in!

Great experience with MB tech warrington. They even washed the car and cleaned inside and out

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and as a side note, before i installed the new wheel i swapped the shift wire over, so now the left changes down when i pull towards me and the right changes up, kind of a cool workaround to the two function button

·
4,024 Posts
Yes i thought it was a touch pricey.

Just got bback paid my money and have my functioning buttons....

To confirm, i still only have the C-S button and yet when you press it, it cycles through C-S- M as i'd hoped.

Really happy with the results an especially with M mode so i can actually choose what gear i am in!

Great experience with MB tech warrington. They even washed the car and cleaned inside and out
You got the desired result!!

The CS or CSM button is just a cover - there's a few silver buttons on shift surrounds on ebay (check .com and .co.uk) - it's a few minutes to swap them over.

If you can find me a black one, you can have my silver one!!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You got the desired result!!

The CS or CSM button is just a cover - there's a few silver buttons on shift surrounds on ebay (check .com and .co.uk) - it's a few minutes to swap them over.

If you can find me a black one, you can have my silver one!!
Yes made up with it, especially having rewired the left button/.

I will look, do blkack ones exist?

K

·
4,024 Posts

·
4,592 Posts
So i was told by that company that i need a c/s/m button which is not true...
Now you car had/ still has only c/s button and when you press it in dash will show S C or M ?
You car had a standard steering wheel with no paddle ?
You change the steering wheel and did the codding and now you can change the gears from paddle shift?
If you use the paddle shift the car will change the gears as you want ( is it fast the change ?).

@Seanhump
Sorry for my post i was mislead.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So i was told by that company that i need a c/s/m button which is not true...
Now you car had/ still has only c/s button and when you press it in dash will show S C or M ?
You car had a standard steering wheel with no paddle ?
You change the steering wheel and did the codding and now you can change the gears from paddle shift?
If you use the paddle shift the car will change the gears as you want ( is it fast the change ?).

@Seanhump
Sorry for my post i was mislead.
Now you car had/ still has only c/s button and when you press it in dash will show S C or M ? YES

You car had a standard steering wheel with no paddle ? YES

You change the steering wheel and did the codding and now you can change the gears from paddle shift? YES

If you use the paddle shift the car will change the gears as you want ? YES

( is it fast the change ?) Don't think its faster, i did the throttle reset too and it all feels livlier and smoother now.

·
4,592 Posts
I will post here also not only on pm as im sure other members will benefit from this.
Today i purchase a slk 55 amg steering wheel with plus and minus sign on it.
Do you have a picture where to plug the wire from my new steering wheel?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts