Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY Servicing Auto Trans . . . Penny wise, pound foolish?

So I took Mickey to the Dealer in Arrowhead, AZ to schedule him to have the Camshaft Solenoid replaced. This was discovered when I picked up my new Smart Key at Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach. The Service Adviser noticed that Mickey had an outstanding Campaign Item, the Camshaft Solenoid was needing replacement. I was thrilled to learn that Mercedes was picking up the tab for this, and on an eleven year old car with a fourth owner!

When I went into Arrowhead, AZ Mercedes today, unfortunately, there seems to be no record, whatsoever, of Mickey ever paying a visit to any dealer since new. Mickey has an unusual owner history. The first owner only had the car about 1 year and a few months, the 2nd, was a Lease and he had the car about 2 years. The third, the Airline Captain I bought Mickey from, had the car about 7 years and had never done anything more than oil changes. The Serpentine Belt appears near new, so I'm left wondering if the first two owners had done some maintenance on the vehicle.

So here's my question, Mickey now has 83,000 miles and I'm wanting to service the Automatic Transmission. Mickey is a 2005 SLK 350. I did a little research here on the threads, it seemed that people suggest this is not a DYI item. Is it feasible or practical to attempt to service these transmissions yourself? I understand that a special tool is required to fill them, and I wouldn't mind purchasing it if it is available, it would probably pay for itself after one use. OR AM I JUST BEING PENNY WISE BUT POUND FOOLISH. Is this one of those items where you just bite the Dealer Bullet and pay the man. I very rarely pay anyone to do things for me, I'm an Aircraft Mechanic by profession, but am also very new to Mercedes ownership. Real honest to goodness information would be greatly appreciated. :nerd: I was quoted around $450 to have the AT Serviced. :|

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have changed almost all the fluids on my 2005 with 84,000 miles. I was not comfortable doing the transmission fluid and had a dealership do it. I am glad I did. I noticed an immediate improvement in the transmission. My advice is to bite the bullet and pay the man. I don't think the transmission is worth messing up to save a few bucks. The procedure is slightly more complicated and awkward than I was willing to handle.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
I changed the trans oil on my 1999 SLK230 myself at 40K miles. It was supposed to be lifetime fluid. The fluid was very dirty and nasty. So glad I changed it.

It was pretty easy on the 5 speed transmission. Just drop pan and replace the filter and pan gasket. I was lucky that mine had the torque converter drain bolt on it. Some don't. So I was able to drain the torque converter and get all the trans fluid out. Then just replace all fluid recommended except one quart. This is where you need to buy the special transmission dip stick. It's cheap. Then check level with dipstick and add till you have correct level. Then put cap on dipstick tube. If yours is the same on your 2005 SLK 350 and I think it may be, It's a pretty simple job.

Now on my new to me 2013 SLK250, that is a different story. I have all the parts and fluid to do the the job, except for the special fill line connecter that you add fluid through the drain bolt( on order). This 7 speed transmission is completely different. Car has only 31K miles but I feel better knowing that I have all new fluids everywhere on the car. Changed rear differential fluid last week.

I'd rather do it myself, since I really don't trust a line mechanic to take the time to make sure it is perfect as I do.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need to know for sure

If yours is the same on your 2005 SLK 350 and I think it may be, It's a pretty simple job.

Thanks Steve for your detailed and kind reply, I surely appreciate it. However, I really need to know for sure if in fact my 2005 SLK 350 uses the same procedure as your SLK 320's procedure. The Service Adviser stated that a special tool is needed to refill the AT. Could you or anyone else shed some light on this? And where does one purchase the Special Dipstick and any other tools required to perform this job? How many quarts of ATF would I need to purchase from MB? Many, many thanks :smile:

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
If yours is the same on your 2005 SLK 350 and I think it may be, It's a pretty simple job.

Thanks Steve for your detailed and kind reply, I surely appreciate it. However, I really need to know for sure if in fact my 2005 SLK 350 uses the same procedure as your SLK 320's procedure. The Service Adviser stated that a special tool is needed to refill the AT. Could you or anyone else shed some light on this? And where does one purchase the Special Dipstick and any other tools required to perform this job? How many quarts of ATF would I need to purchase from MB? Many, many thanks :smile:
I was just searching and so far I haven't found the answer yet. Will let you know when I do.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this is correct it looks like you have style transmission as mine newer 2013 SLK250, a little different.
Is yours 7 speed?

Hi Steve: Wow!!! Thanks for the great info, I think I finally have the correct answer, yes I can easily do this myself and yes, I believe I now have the correct information. I checked my Data Card and it only states: I have Transmission Code Version 6. That may be referring to a software code, I'm really not sure, however, if my memory serves me right, I seem to recall that I do have a 7 speed transmission. Anyway, the main reason why I believe you have given me the correct information is for two reasons. 1. The ECS Tuning Tranny Kit you referenced includes a Standpipe. 2. And after looking at my Tranny under the engine hood, I see no hole where a purchased dipstick could go into, so the fill and check the dipstick method clearly doesn't apply to my Tranny. So, mine must use the overfill about a quart, run the engine and cycle all the gears, then pull the drain plug and spill excess oil to the level of the standpipe. This is the same method we use on servicing aircraft IDG Generators on Airbus and Boeing aircraft.

ONE VERY BIG QUESTION I HAVE THOUGH, WHERE IS A GOOD SOURCE FOR BUYING THE FITTING I WILL NEED TO FILL THE TRANNY THROUGH THE DRAIN PLUG HOLE ?

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS INFO, IT WILL SAVE ME $250 DOING THE WORK MYSELF !!! :surprise:0:):smile::wink:

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Eureka, I think I've found it !

ONE VERY BIG QUESTION I HAVE THOUGH, WHERE IS A GOOD SOURCE FOR BUYING THE FITTING I WILL NEED TO FILL THE TRANNY THROUGH THE DRAIN PLUG HOLE ?

I just found a kit on Ebay which I belive is all genuine Mercedes, but I will have to verify this, it is possible only the ATF fluid is genuine. If it is all Genuine Mercedes, then this kit could be the Cat's Pajama's because it includes literally everything you need including the pressure fill adapter and even the infrared thermometer. I would still save over $200 doing this myself, and then have all the tools for the next time :surprise:

Here is the ebay link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Me...ash=item41af5ccde0:g:ElsAAOSwENxXmPyQ&vxp=mtr

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Steve: I think I will order the adapter right away, since it comes from China it will probably take a few weeks to get here. Also, If it turns out the ebay kit is not 100% Mercedes OEM, which I am now questioning, I will order the OEM kit from ECS Tuning. I can get the Thermometer and pump from Harbor Fright. Thanks so much for all this great and accurate info, YOU ARE GIVING SLK WORLD A REALLY GREAT NAME !!! I so much appreciate it, and the fact I will save $200 doing an hour or two of work myself, well that just means I can put that money toward either a Smart Top Mod or a Chinese Radio Head Unit ;)

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
I like the ecs kit over the ebay kit.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Mercedes_B..._Transmission/

you can see the 2 listings from ecs, the all MB including fluid and the approved fluid which is cheaper. As for the infrared temp. 45C is only 113 degrees Fahrenheit. On a hot Texas day that is running the car for only about three minutes. That is the temp I got using a friends scan tool that gave me the internal temperature.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I totally agree with you Steve. The ECS kit also has 9 liters of oil, while the ebay kit has only 8, and after looking more closely, I don't think anything in the ebay kit is genuine Mercedes. I'm definitely going for the ECS kit. Thanks for turing me on to ECS ! ;)

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jackstands and safety.

Michael I always get a sense of satisfaction in doing it myself as I am sure you do too.
Don't forget safety first, the car must be jacked up level, and please be sure you have very secure jack stands before you get under the car.
I'm very glad I could help you with this project.
Steve: I lost both my Father and Brother to work related accidents, SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT. I own two heavy duty jackstands and a brand new 3 ton floor jack. I will be purchasing another set of Jack Stands so I can get Mickey up on all fours ;)

Now . . . the next thing I need to learn about is the best way to change out all the brake fluid. One question though . . . Since Mickey has spent his entire life in Arizona where we have incredibly low humidity, and I think I've read somewhere that humidity (moisture getting into the brake fluid) is the reason to change it out. Would it be overkill for me to change the brake fluid? Perhaps I should really start a new post on this :surprise:

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
278 Posts
Now . . . the next thing I need to learn about is the best way to change out all the brake fluid. One question though . . . Since Mickey has spent his entire life in Arizona where we have incredibly low humidity, and I think I've read somewhere that humidity (moisture getting into the brake fluid) is the reason to change it out. Would it be overkill for me to change the brake fluid? Perhaps I should really start a new post on this :surprise:
I would definitely change brake fluid. Also even though I already ordered the special Transmission Fluid Filling Drive Line Filler Adapter from China, a friend of mine showed me this after I had already ordered it:

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F22-228i-N20_2.0L/Maintenance/ES2774836/

This has the fitting for filling transmission on our Mercedes, and also has the special fitting for changing the brake fluid. Also it is much much quicker to pump in that 9 quarts of transmission fluid with this.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Pressure Fill & Flush

This has the fitting for filling transmission on our Mercedes, and also has the special fitting for changing the brake fluid. Also it is much much quicker to pump in that 9 quarts of transmission fluid with this.[/QUOTE]

Wow Steve! I just ordered my fitting on Ebay last night too, it is probably to late to cancel the order but I just put in a request. Still, this was a metal fitting which could be a nice addition to this pressure filler.

Can you briefly explain to me the process involved is flushing out the brake fluid? Do you need a negative pressure system to flush the Antiskid Module? Many thanks :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.