Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
I haven't done this yet but I'm thinking the #4 pic is the panel (scuff plate or whatever) that's under the passenger side of the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ahhh thank you! I haven't ventured down there yet. Thank you for all the advise in here. It is a wonderful source of information. Cudos to the leaders and those who help put this WIKI SLK together.

Cheers.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
48 Posts
Original filter?

Since I just changed my oil a couple weekends ago at 77,xxx miles, I decided it as also a good time to replace the cabin filter. Paid $19 on eBay and it arrived today. Since I'd read most of this thread already and had taken the filter out a month ago to check it, I had a good idea what was required. It took maybe 15 minutes.

I believe the filter I removed was the original one installed at the factory. It was dated 09.09.05, which in my American mind is 9 Sept 2005 - just a couple of months prior to the build date of the car. Perhaps it was sitting on a shelf for years after having been manufactured...

Here are some photos of the old filter showing the printed info, the clean side and the dirty side.

Attachments

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
460 Posts
Changed mine this past weekend and yes took me about 15 - 20 minutes thanks to all the good info on this post.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts
you have to be a contortionist :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts
Adding WIS doc from Piet for r171 n R172

Here:.................

Attachments

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
20 Posts
Thank you for posting! I just swapped my cabin filter out this evening. Without your post, I'd probably have cut the stupid 12v plug wires as I would never have guessed to pull the connector DOWN.

Doug

·
Registered
89 Posts
After reading this very helpfull post on how to remove the cabin filter I checked mine today and i've decided to change it.
The pictures below show that it's due for replacement.

The motor factor didn't have it in stock but will have one for collection tomorrow.
I was a bit surprised to only find 1 torx scew holding the trim panel up under the glove box instead of 3 :surprise: But they are only self tappers so i've found two replacements to go back in.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
The first step was taking that huge plastic cover off. It turned out to be a job and a half. Pay close attention to EXACTLY how you wiggle it out of there. Getting it back in was a nightmare because I forgot how I took it out. Big mistake. I ended up removing the 12v. power supply "plug" from that same panel to gain the wiggle room I needed to get that plastic cover back in. By the way, did you know that this plug provides a good deal more amperage than the cigarette lighter plug located elsewhere? Check the owner's manual.

FWIW, it the 12v power supply plug comes out much easier if you separate the inner metal cylinder from the outer plastic cylinder. Remove the metal first, then the plastic sleeve will come out of its hole in the plastic panel without having to use a crowbar. Once I got the filter put in place, I noticed that one of my plastic sliding clips was missing. They come off easily, so I get it. Since I have no idea where to buy one of those sliding clips, I simply drilled a hole through the tongue and groove mating surfaces it was meant to squeeze together, and I cinched them together with a small zip tie. It can be removed quickly and easily in the future. Glad that's done!!!

Gary

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts

·
Registered SLK 280 2007
16 Posts
Just did this too. Thanks for detailed instructions and comments. A couple of hints from me.

The upper plastic panel is somewhat flexible, and the 12v wires in my case were long enough to allow for bending the panel a little bit, and "rotating" it to take its right side out from below the glove box, thus clearing a much easier access to the pita 12v plug:)

I did use the double sticky tape hint, and it's a very clever suggestion. When trying to install the bottom part, make sure you push it all the way toward the engine compartment. The first couple of times I didn't do it and had air leaks.

Another (perhaps obvious, but not for me:) ) thing is that when you check for the leaks, either with the old filter for comparison, or with the new one, be sure to wait for some 10 seconds. I've noticed that when the engine is off, the air flow flaps open automatically regardless of the direction setting on the A/C panel, so right after starting the engine you get a lot of air down there even if everything is assembled correctly.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
87 Posts
I just did this too. Took me about an hour, although half of that was figuring out the cigarette lighter connector. As everyone has said, it comes off easily once you’ve worked out that it just pulls off at 90 deg to the cigarette lighter axis.

Thanks for the great photos.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did mine last night. I got it done, but was way more of a PITA than I thought it was going to be.

The pictures in the first post are great, but it’s not as clear once you get to it. Others already answered the secondary power outlet cable connector issue. The main problem with this job is that there’s just not enough space to work comfortably unless you are a circus contortionist. If you happen to have a large and less flexible body build, you’re in for a world of hurt. I didn’t really have any issues with seating the filter. Once the time to reassemble came, the only annoying part was putting the plastic cover back in (again, compounded by not having enough space to place it back easily).

·
Founding Member 2006
108,292 Posts
That is why I paid mb to do it :D

161 - 180 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.