Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well I guess I am in for a big shot tomorrow my slk 320 2004 goes in for oil change oil filter Air Filter and also cabin air filter at the
M-B dealership? Any ideas on the cost?

jnc1948

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
A or B service?

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,031 Posts
The wire position looks like it may be for the puddle lights above your feet ..... most don't even realise they are there as they're pretty dim when lit ...

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
about $150 for oil change and cabin filter plus labor so I say $200

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
lights if you have convenience option or lighting option methinks

876 INTERIOR LIGHT ASSEMBLY ?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
hopefully u do with that option
option used to be known as lighting package

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
Lighting only available on AMG for 2009

  l Automatic ambient interior lighting of console and footwells. Entrance
lamps in doors. Illuminated console storage. Illuminated vanity mirrors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Success - Again!

Just completed my annual cabin air filter replacement, again. :)

No matter how many times I do this procedure, from year to year I always forget how to unclip that PITA cig lighter feeder plug,... even when I KNOW it comes off "down" at a 90-degree angle. :soap:

Why do I replace my cabin air filter every year? Because (I'm lucky) my R171 SLK350 over-winters in the garage under its Noah cover. Our field mice remember that, too, so they build a cozy nest in the HVAC blower box using firewall insulation and other bits they find around the garage. So I do more than just replace the cabin air filter every spring, I also have to drop the blower motor and vac out the blower spinning cage and as far up as I can reach.

This year I used a Mann Filter part number CUK 3621, which also has embedded activated charcoal. $35.53 on Amazon.

Thanks, again, to the OP and others who added their experiences to this thread. I couldn't feel confident doing this filter replacement year after year without coming back here to remind myself how to do the deed. You're the best!! Y)

...Karl

(Next up? Waiting for my replacement trunk struts to arrive, so the lid stops dropping onto my head every time I go to get something out of the trunk. Cheers!)

·
*Registered
2006 SLK350
42 Posts
Too funny

(Next up? Waiting for my replacement trunk struts to arrive, so the lid stops dropping onto my head every time I go to get something out of the trunk. Cheers!)[/QUOTE]

This is funny as I have just completed doing that 3-4 weeks ago. I let that dang trunk lid fall on my head so many times, and to think the solution was probably the easiest thing I have ever done to this vehicle. You can actually get to the struts without standing on your head or being a contortionist.:laugh:

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,832 Posts
Do a search as there is post on putting a screen on the engine side of the intake for the air to the fan motor to keep out trash. Remove the pan under the vent on the hood and the battery cover and you will see the intake to the fan.

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
69 Posts
The removal is pretty straightforward and my thanks goes to the OP for posting this procedure!

The aux power outlet wasn't easy nor hard but just a hassle, the only good thing was you didn't need to be upside down to get to it. I found that the key to the reassemble of the housing was in those 2 tabs on the back. If you don't give them some push when inserting then the housing can be a bear to get back together properly. I just made sure they were in the slots and then pushed harder, the cover naturally followed the tabs going into the slots and the whole thing sealed up perfectly on the first try!

I got my filter from Smythe Automotive for $12, it was their house brand. They had a Wix brand version for $80.

When I pulled the old filter out it was a Mann brand filter and looked identical to the Smythe one. At first I thought it had been replaced not too long ago (I've only had the car about a month) however on closer inspection it was indeed dirty. Setting the two filters side by side they looked to be in the exact same condition, I even struck it several times with my hand to see if any dust or debris would come out and virtually nothing came out. The real difference was only when I held a strong light behind them could I see how blocked up the old one was in comparison to the new one. The new one was several times brighter but again without the light behind it you would have sworn it was good to go for several more months.

It seemed like there was a considerable bit more air coming out of the vents on my leak test so I'm glad I did this myself now rather than waiting until the next service interval. I checked the intake side of things and I was surprised on how clean it was in there, even the battery. This car had been babied and kept inside for most of its life and it shows!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Just did mine in half an hour. Thanks for the pictorial tutorial, it made the job much easier. I did have trouble getting my filter in, there didn't seem to be a well-defined slot for it, but I finally figured it out. I bought a $18 after market filter which was near identical to the OEM, it definitely had charcoal in it. About the only difference I could tell was the sides were slightly less rigid, the oem felt like it may have had some aluminum burried in the sides to make it a little more rigid and, perhaps, that is why mine was a bit of a struggle. Also, thanks for mentioning to leak check it, mine was blowing some hot air out the back, I undid the latches and re-positioned the filter and it was leak free on the second attempt. The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the cigarette lighter cable, it looked like you needed to pull it sideways, when all the time, you just tug straight down. You may want to add that to your comments in your tutorial, it would have saved me ten minutes. Thanks again, a great post !

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
Just did mine in half an hour. Thanks for the pictorial tutorial, it made the job much easier. I did have trouble getting my filter in, there didn't seem to be a well-defined slot for it, but I finally figured it out. I bought a $18 after market filter which was near identical to the OEM, it definitely had charcoal in it. About the only difference I could tell was the sides were slightly less rigid, the oem felt like it may have had some aluminum burried in the sides to make it a little more rigid and, perhaps, that is why mine was a bit of a struggle. Also, thanks for mentioning to leak check it, mine was blowing some hot air out the back, I undid the latches and re-positioned the filter and it was leak free on the second attempt. The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the cigarette lighter cable, it looked like you needed to pull it sideways, when all the time, you just tug straight down. You may want to add that to your comments in your tutorial, it would have saved me ten minutes. Thanks again, a great post !
Step 7 amended as you suggested:
The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the cigarette lighter cable, it looked like you needed to pull it sideways, when all the time, you just tug straight down

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
192 Posts
Hope this is helpful

Well I guess I am in for a big shot tomorrow my slk 320 2004 goes in for oil change oil filter Air Filter and also cabin air filter at the
M-B dealership? Any ideas on the cost?

jnc1948
I don't know what the cost would be, however, you could easily do all this yourself in about 2 to 3 hours. The Engine Air Filters are a ten minute job and there are a few youtube videos on how to do it. Even if you're not very mechanical, this may be a fairly easy task to attempt and build some confidence with. Just a friendly suggestion, perhaps your more than capable and are just taking it in for convenience. Best of luck with your car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and haven't done a lot of maintenance on my 171. I have a stupid question... I've read the entire thread, but I still don't know what I am looking at in the Step 4: Remove the three torx screws picture, showing the torx screws? It looks like a metal plate. Sorry, this must sound so dumb - no one else asked.

Thanks for your patience...

Jacques

141 - 160 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.