Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Photobucket pics stink

see these you tube videos

Well my Service E was overdue since I reset the reminder at 26,000 miles. I have been
procrastinating to getting this done, i'm actually glad I didn't do it earlier since the Air
Filter was only about 20% dirty, could have gone another 10,000 miles easy.

edit JBanks15: added doc here also for R171/R172 Thanks Piet

DIY: Service E Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Nevertheless, I decided to do a write-up since there wasn't a good one yet...

Step1:
Tools Needed, Torx Screwdriver T-20.
Supplies: Mann Air Combination Filter (purchased from autowarehouseparts.com)
edit: Filter cost around $50, and free shipping
here's a link to the filter direct... its a genuine mb replacement part...
http://b.tinyurl.com/4k9zmf
don't worry about the pic they display on their site, they send you the correct one...

Step2:
The instructions supplied (pictures only) with the filter are pretty good, but the following
ones should help even more..

Step3:
Best way to have enough room to dive in there, is get the top down and open the passenger
door all the way.

Step4:
Remove the three torx screws using your nifty torx-20 screwdriver.

Step5:
Pull back the padding in the footwell like in the picture below:

Step6:
There is tab holding the left part of the plastic piece, use a flat-head screwdriver to pop

it out.

Step7:
Disconnect the light connector, and the cigarette lighter connection (this is a weird pull
down clip type plug, took some futzing to get it out)
The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the cigarette lighter cable, it looked like you needed to pull it sideways, when all the time, you just tug straight down

Step8:
Once the plastic piece is out, you will see a large white box, the filter is inside this
box. There are two yellow clips that need to be slided to the left/right. The box then pops
out from below and the folded-filter will fall right out.

Pic of the old filter, as you can see its pretty clean after 30,000 miles:

Step9:
Make sure you remember the way the filter was (directionally).

Step10:
That's the base of the filter box, take some time to clean it as well since you have access

it to it right now...

Step11:
Once you put the new filter in and put the under-part of the white box back on, you have to
be very careful to make sure it fits snugly. I read in other member's posts that they had to
remove and replace 2-3 times to ensure a snug fit with no air leaks. I had the exact same
thing happen to me!! You have to turn the A/C on, and then check for leaks with your hand
placed at several sides of the box.

Look at the diagram below to see the points to check.

Step12: Thats it, once you make sure the lower box is snugly fit, you're done!

Total Time : 1 hour , Supplies Cost: $50.00

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Thank you for the pix and narration, slk350ncls63. :tu: This post deserves to be "stickied" IMHO.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Hey, thanks for the info. I had no idea where it was located. What was the cost? MB dealer charges around $185. THANKS!

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
:tu:Hey, thanks for the info. I had no idea where it was located. What was the cost? MB dealer charges around $185. THANKS!
I believe he said $50 (last line on the 1st post, it's easily missed).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow you guys reply fast... was watching a movie...
yes the filter cost around $50, and free shipping
here's a link to the filter direct... its a genuine mb replacement part...

http://tinyurl.com/4k9zmf

don't worry about the pic they display on their site, they send you the correct one...

wow $185 huh ? 185-50 = $135/hr is my new labor rate !! lol

·
*Premium Member Founding member #7
2017 SLC300
2,188 Posts
I want to say the MB price of the filter is $120 so their labor rate may not be quite so bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got mine changed

My filter was over 2 years old and the car was asking for a D service. Filter cost at an MB dealer $167.00 . Was also asking plugs to be changed, I don't think so buddy. I found out during a short visit to the U.S.A. Advance Auto Parts sell the combination fllter. Thanx for the instructions

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Question: do you have to close and engage the lower cover to the cabin air filter before checking for leaks? or can you check for leaks as depicted in the photo (cover not fully closed).

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
To check for leaks, the cover has to be fully closed and the latches set. You need to set the blower on high and try all the ventilation positions (dash, windshield, floor) while feeling all around the filter casing for any air coming out. As stated above it usually takes a 2 -3 trys to get the casing cover seated correctly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has to be closed I think, I didn't get a picture after it was closed so I reused another picture to show where to check for leaks.... the tricky part is getting all the notches (the rim) to line up properly.

G

·
You can also use a rubber or foam strip around the rim to give you some tolerance in aligning them, some of the covers leak from the factory and not much can be done about it.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Looks like the filter is inserted as a V.

Dan, thank you for the tip about using a foam weatherstrip. This is readily available at the local hardware store (in different widths and thickness) with an adhesive on one side.

G

·
Thats the stuff Eddy.

Best way to get that filter in (because the grooves in the removable tray are not enough to hold it stable) is to get some mid strength double sided sticky tape and stick the filter to the roof of the airbox then simply insert the tray below it.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
To check for leaks, the cover has to be fully closed and the latches set. You need to set the blower on high and try all the ventilation positions (dash, windshield, floor) while feeling all around the filter casing for any air coming out. As stated above it usually takes a 2 -3 trys to get the casing cover seated correctly.
I wonder how thorough (if any) the dealer leak check is?

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
I wonder how thorough (if any) the dealer leak check is?
I'd bet that there are many leaking air after a filter replacment.

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
I tried to 'Thank' One of Dan's replies and it does not work for me. The 'Thanks' icon just disappears. Anyone else have that problem today?

1 - 20 of 185 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.