Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make sure and buy canbus error free led bulb
Usually interior lights do are not canbus error free, but the trunk interior bulb is not considered 'interior' and will flash once and will not light. Trust me, i tried without an error free one. bulb should be 42mm long
use a small flathead at the bottom of the holder and lift out
remove power feed - pulls out after you depress a small clip
remove silver cover
pop out old
pop in new face down
put silver cover back on
connect power
pop into position

old filament bulb

missed the 'hole' but it is 'tight'

much brighter than old

finis!

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are CAN-bus Error Free LED bulbs?
CAN-bus Error Free LED bulbs are LED bulbs that have resistors that are internally/externally attached. European vehicles are the typical candidates for these types of LED bulbs as the electrical system on these European cars have sensors that detect whether the light is working or not. Since LED bulbs draw far less power than the stock filament bulbs, the vehicle’s computer may think that the bulb is out so it'll throw an "error message" or "bulb out" warning the driver that the light is out; thus the name "error free". The resistor’s job is to mimic the power draw of the stock incandescent bulbs to trick the computer to think that the bulbs are drawing the same rate of power so the vehicle does not throw any error messages.

Do I need error free bulbs?
If you own a European vehicle, you will most likely need error free bulbs. Many European vehicles such as Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Range Rover, Jaguar and many more use a CAN-bus (controller area network) systems that monitors the activity of lights on the vehicle to detect if they are operating or not.

Since LED bulbs draw far less power than the stock bulbs, the vehicle’s can-bus system detects the low power draw and determines that the LED bulb is faulty. To stop this from happening, error free LED bulbs have resistors that are built into the light which mimic the power draw of the stock bulb which stops the error message from occurring.

Error free LED bulbs are most commonly used for exterior lights such as the turn signals, head lights, parking lights, license plate lights and more. Interior lights typically do not need error free bulbs, but for certain vehicles, it is required.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a small correction the bulb should 41mm long 'coz the exact type of the original bulb is C10W ;)
tough to find 41mm
usually 36,39, or 42 mm is my experience but I thank you for the correction :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.