Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
The 3D printer that I have access to cannot use metals, and even if it could that would be a bad idea as it is mounted on a plastic cylinder. Over time the metal would rub down the plastic mounting due to it being harder and eventually it would break. If the mounting broke you would have no choice but to replace the whole shelf.

The best material I could use to make this in theory would be a fiberglass and carbon mixture. Using that would triple the material cost to make it not to mention the time cost to manually add in the carbon layers at the appropriate coordinates and angles. I would need to see if the printer I have access to can use this material as it is relatively new and may require specific hardware to use.

it is not too difficult to place a plastic washer between the metal bracket and the plastic mounting... If some one know how to work on aluminum, it will be much simplier than the printing machine....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
it is not too difficult to place a plastic washer between the metal bracket and the plastic mounting... If some one know how to work on aluminum, it will be much simplier than the printing machine....
Printing would be easier to produce multiple precise replicas whereas hand fabrication when dealing with something that is precise to the micron is impossible.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have some good news and some bad news...

The good news: I printed a prototype for the trunk divider peg in faaaabulous pink!

The bad news: I accidentally used the default scale of mm > Inches (did not watch it print so I did not realize it until it was too late) and it resulted in a slight... complication. :grin: (original part for comparison)

Going to re-print it soon in mm > cm so hopefully I can report back on fitment and if all goes well do some durability testing!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got around to printing it at the proper size!

It turns out I made the main cylinder a little too thick and as a result I had to modify it's design a bit more along with one or two other minor tweaks. Aside from being too thick (which I solved on the current model with a dremel) it fit perfectly!

Feeling confident that the next iteration will be close... stay tuned!

·
Registered
39 Posts
These are excellent instructions. I decided to investigate this morning and found that sure enough one of the pegs needs repair. Unfortunately I also found that the right hand side one has been repaired previously and that whoever did it had tightened the retaining screw so tight the spigot it screws into has broken away from the divider. Not sure if araldite will be up to that but I guess it is worth a shot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! This is Robertgp I am new in this forum, I am an user from the spanish mb forum.

In my case I had the same problem both parts broke and the mechasism did not work and I had to force the shelf to open the roof. Because of that I made the same as the last posts making the part using a 3D printer. The result was excellent and I actually replaced both psrts for my 3D printed ones and it works perfectly.

Best regards.

Robert

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,506 Posts
Hello! This is Robertgp I am new in this forum, I am an user from the spanish mb forum.

In my case I had the same problem both parts broke and the mechasism did not work and I had to force the shelf to open the roof. Because of that I made the same as the last posts making the part using a 3D printer. The result was excellent and I actually replaced both psrts for my 3D printed ones and it works perfectly.

Best regards.

Robert

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2017, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank you for this! The trunk partition closed is an intermittent error for me, but this will help in trying to located the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading this thread I have also 3D printed my own parts for my 2009 200 Kompressor. They turned out ok and work well, however durability is yet to be proven.

I have posted the 3D files on a community 3D printer file sharing site if anyone wants to try them.
Go to: Thingiverse (website)
Search: Mercedes SLK Boot Separator Catch
This will supply you the base .stl printer file which, to my understanding, is fully editable if you want to tweek it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,779 Posts
After reading this thread I have also 3D printed my own parts for my 2009 200 Kompressor. They turned out ok and work well, however durability is yet to be proven.

I have posted the 3D files on a community 3D printer file sharing site if anyone wants to try them.
This will supply you the base .stl printer file which, to my understanding, is fully editable if you want to tweek it.
Thanks for the share. :tu:

Welcome to SLKWorld.com

Join the gang! Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

On a smartphone: http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/330737-how-update-your-profile-post-intro-smartphone.html

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
My left pegs broke and a guy from work has offered to print me one if I have an stil file, so I'll be taking a look tonight after work.

Thanks for sharing :smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
to NGUYENPHANANH
(I cannot send private message)
I did not print myself.
I did that through a pro 3D shop in PARIS
Stereoleapâ„¢ - Impression 3D à Paris
they have the files - let me know if they print and send you. or if they print and I can send you in case.
I order the print 2 days ago. this are my reference in the shop : Vous trouverez ci-jont votre devis 18020449, d’un montant total de 17,00€,euros
pour l’impression 3D de x2 pièces symétriques en PLA blanc.

you can order the same

Let me know.
stereoleap.com

·
Super Moderator
24,779 Posts
Hi,
to NGUYENPHANANH
(I cannot send private message)
I did not print myself.
I did that through a pro 3D shop in PARIS
Stereoleapâ„¢ - Impression 3D à Paris
they have the files - let me know if they print and send you. or if they print and I can send you in case.
I order the print 2 days ago. this are my reference in the shop : Vous trouverez ci-jont votre devis 18020449, d’un montant total de 17,00€,euros
pour l’impression 3D de x2 pièces symétriques en PLA blanc.

you can order the same

Let me know.
stereoleap.com

Once you have 15 posts you will be able to message all members.
Until then you can only message Admin and Mods.

7 to go :tu:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Both of mine broke, repaired with super glue before reading this (durr). Lets hope it holds. Great idea to 3D print part. Got some clever people on here. Did they ever get made?
Just listening to Tina Turner singing Proud Mary on Spotify. Wow. Seen her twice. Once in Boston UK about 1980 (Got shake her) and again at Birmingham, again uk, NEC about 1986. Guess what going see the Tina Turner musical in London in July, can't wait

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have same issue and plan to fix it as first entry but unfortunately i cant see the pictures. Is there anyone who can help me to see pictures on first entry?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,506 Posts
I have same issue and plan to fix it as first entry but unfortunately i cant see the pictures. Is there anyone who can help me to see pictures on first entry?
are you on a phone?
if so, get out of enhanced mode
or get off phone on to a pc or tablet

21 - 39 of 39 Posts