Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally dove into my seat heater repair. The seat cushion (bottom, not back) quit heating last year, seat back was heating fine still. I finally ordered the part today. Thanks UK-200 for guidance on this.

This involves disconnecting the airbag and belt tensioner, if you don't know the proper safety procedures don't try this at home -- an airbag deployment is dangerous and expensive.

1. Disconnect battery negative, wait 30 mins.
  2. Remove the seat from the car.
  3. Remove the seat cushion from the seat.
  4. Unhook the leather from the seat cushion -- at least enough to expose the two hidden electrical connections at the rear of the seat cushion.
  5. Disconnect the three heater elements (center and two sides) from each other by separating the two hidden electrical connectors.
  6. Test each with an ohmmeter. The failed element in my case (outboard side element) showed open circuit -- probably broken wire.
In my case, I had to replace one side element. The element is a pad -- a piece of wire sandwiched between a piece of felt and a piece of muslin. This pad is then glued to the top of the seat foam (muslin side down).

I used a heat gun set to 380F and took my time heating the glue and removing the pad.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102612...&authkey=Gv1sRgCKeY-qXb6J-cEg&feat=directlink

Important facts:
  • My seats are the basic leather ones.
  • The leather has y-shaped seams and wires underneath those seams.
  • The leather is held in place from underneath the cushion by plastic clips.
  • To remove the leather you have to unhook the clips from those wires. This is done from above. Wedge your fingers down into the gaps in the foam and examine along the entire gap -- you'll see the little plastic hooks in there. You'll need to push down on the wire while freeing the hook.
  • The leather has a hard plastic edging sewn around the perimeter -- in the pictures it's the blue stitching. This little edging is what secures the leather around the edge of the cushion.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Thanks! Great Info!
Now I have questions:
Why disconnect the battery? Why not just pull the associated fuse?
Where did you get the part?

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK350/YEAR? SLK55 AMG
13,013 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, and glad it was one of the side elements rather than the center one!

PropDr - I'm paranoid - when I'm playing with the airbags, I pull the battery as well. The side bolster heaters are standard parts, it's the damned center one that is integrated into the seat leather.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
PropDr - I'm paranoid - when I'm playing with the airbags, I pull the battery as well. The side bolster heaters are standard parts, it's the damned center one that is integrated into the seat leather.
I respect that!
I guess I’m less paranoid; to me: no power = no trigger.
If you lose the center, could you just add one or two side units?

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK350/YEAR? SLK55 AMG
13,013 Posts
I respect that!
I guess I’m less paranoid; to me: no power = no trigger.
If you lose the center, could you just add one or two side units?
I have a piece of CF heater element I was going to cut to shape to repair mine before I got new bottoms under warranty. I think that would be as good as if not better than trying to use the side units.

The biggest pain is there does not seem to be any easy way to remove the "dead" center element, so you end up with some extra padding - which may not be that bad a deal I guess! :)

·
*Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well -- it's not fixed yet, the broken side element is out, and the replacement is on order from getmercedesparts.com. The seat's disassembled on the kitchen table and I'm getting lots of dirty looks for that :(

·
*Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well -- it took 12 days to receive the replacement left-side bolster pad from getmercedesparts.com -- not sure why the delay but it seemed rather long. The new pad has an adhesive applied to the bottom with a peel-off protector, I peeled and stuck it onto the seat foam -- connected it back up -- hooked the leather back onto the cushion, the perimeter of the leather cover went back on with a little fiddling... and 20 minutes later the seat was back in -- and I've got toasty buns for the first time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well -- it took 12 days to receive the replacement left-side bolster pad from getmercedesparts.com -- not sure why the delay but it seemed rather long. The new pad has an adhesive applied to the bottom with a peel-off protector, I peeled and stuck it onto the seat foam -- connected it back up -- hooked the leather back onto the cushion, the perimeter of the leather cover went back on with a little fiddling... and 20 minutes later the seat was back in -- and I've got toasty buns for the first time!
if the problem is on the base element of seat how we can to repair this???is there a part number??

·
*Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The "seat bottom" has three separate heating pads in it. Two are smaller (about 6cm x 60cm) and are on the "side bolsters" or the outside edges; the third pad is larger (about 40cm x 60cm) and in the middle. If you're asking about this larger pad -- I've read here that this pad is not available separately from MB but must be purchased as part of an entirely new seat skin. There are some web sites that sell replacement parts for this purpose, I have no idea how well they work or how easy to install they are.

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
The "seat bottom" has three separate heating pads in it. Two are smaller (about 6cm x 60cm) and are on the "side bolsters" or the outside edges; the third pad is larger (about 40cm x 60cm) and in the middle. If you're asking about this larger pad -- I've read here that this pad is not available separately from MB but must be purchased as part of an entirely new seat skin. There are some web sites that sell replacement parts for this purpose, I have no idea how well they work or how easy to install they are.
Regarding to this post some owners - like me: 2006 R171 SLK 200 Komp. from the German market - maybe got different seat heating.
I suggest an OEM problem-solving which is working for me from 10th of january 2015.

Problem: the main problem is mentioned earlier in this thread (driver side bottom heating not works) but my seat heating is - as I seen efair's post and attached pictures here - different. Remark: back heating is functioned normally.
When we looked for the fault and took the leather seat bottom to pieces, we realized that: I have no "Two are smaller (about 6cm x 60cm) and are on the "side bolsters" or the outside edges; the third pad is larger (about 40cm x 60cm) and in the middle." My seat heating bottom is one whole related heating (with many heat wires everywhere in the whole bottom) in the middle of a thick whoof material.
What should I do if I don't like aftermarket solutions only OEM but "pad is not available separately from MB but must be purchased as part of an entirely new seat skin" and I don't want to pay unreasoning much for repair?!
Plus the leather seat bottom have strong stitching trough the whole bottom pad and these separates the pad to smaller spaces.

Alternative solution: The dealer's MB service brings only two components (exept the whole pad must be purchased as part of an entirely new seat skin), the two smaller (about 6cm x 60cm) "side bolsters" (left and right are different) for about 90 USD/piece.
Left: A171820 01 9828
Right: A171820 00 9828

I bought 2x left and 2x right (I will write later why) and we put it on the original thick whoof material bottom (under the leather of course) as you can see the attachment.
Two of part which are goes to the middle places are has to be shorter because there isn't enough prolonged space, we turned in the ends of them. The turned ends are short enough not to sit on these, they are goes after your bottom when you sit in the leather seat so it won't do any damage not to the heating parts nor to the wires.

After that the electrical part comes the wires separatly comes for the bottom and the back heating of the seat, we tied them up to the wire which appertains to the bottom.
You have to cascade them electrically because your whole heating of the bottom have to be the correct resistance! Otherwise your heating switch on your board panel will be swithes itself off in 3-5 secs! (I think this is why: "Raiky 2006 SLK200 drives seat on, 5 seconds then off" on the list)
First time we try to solve the problem with 2 piece of heating panel (only the sides) and the result was the same, resistance was too less, so the panels are warm up in seconds then the switch goes off them automatically.

Controll: I check together both seat heating, with this method they properly works, the swithes come 1 level lower in the same time (3 levels you have when you turn it on, and after ~5 mins it gets 1 lever lower until it will off)
The only difference is: driver's seat bottom is a little warmer than the other because the heating panel is closer to the leather surface but it won't burn it. I use it approximately 2,5 months and no problem at all.
We do electric measuring and checked the original seat's resistance (passenger side) and the repaired seat (driver's side), both of them were equal.

Costs: 4 x 90 USD for the heating parts and ~55 USD for repair cost = ~415 USD total. (and 3 times I have to go to the service until we found out the solution)

I hope it will help someone, excuse me for my bad english or some term which are not correct, admins feel free to correct these.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do I have to detach the battery?

Question. - Seeing as I already have an SRS error code I need to pay to get cleared. Do I still have to / should disconnect the battery before starting if there is no power going to the seat anyways?

I knelt on my seat to do the Gummi Phlegi and sure enough, 5 secs and the heated seat is off. :(
I bought a couple of generic carbon fibre heating pads. I can't remember if it was here or on another forum that said they worked fine if you cut the holes for the plastic connectors from leather to seat correctly.
So I will try.
I had the seat disconnected but of course didn't read the threads so I now an SRS error code. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.