Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK280
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As above:
Tools required. 16mm socket or 🔧 for removal
T30 torx bit.
(+ a suitable puller).
First jack and support car then remove wheel.

Drive rear pin out of caliper that holds the brake pads and spring plate in place(make a note of how spring plate goes back on,to save confusion when refitting ;)

Remove brake pads.

(at this point you can use a suitable tool to push pistons back in on caliper) better to do it against old disc before replacing,be careful not to damage the piston seal.
(You may require another tool to hold opposite piston ,stop you playing ping pong!)

2 x 16mm bolts hold rear caliper in place,have a block of wood handy or something to rest caliper on once removed.
You may need to back the handbrake adjuster off inside the drum if its worn or difficult to remove disc, this is accessed through a wheel bolt hole.

Adjuster with disc(rotor) removed.

Remove the T30 torx screw that holds disc in place and remove disc

Depending how worn your discs/drums are ,you may require a suitable puller to remove them(as I found out!)

Check your handbrake shoes and mating surface, give everything a good clean with brake cleaner..clean your new discs as most will be covered in a packing fluid.
Your good to reassemble!

remember to adjust the handbrake adjuster back up till it bites,then back it off slightly so it's free to rotate.
Use thread lock on your 16mm caliper bolts( use correct torque setting)and the T30 torx screw that holds disc in place.
Give your brake pedal a couple of pumps until it feels solid ,check that it still rotates fine.
Refit your wheels,torque bolts correctly.
On to the next side!

Wheel bolt torque setting for 16 and 17 inch
80ft-lb /110 Nm
Caliper mounting bolts 40 ft-lb/55 Nm

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350
1,047 Posts
Thanks for a great write up and clear pictures. Are you able to edit and add in the correct torque settings for the caliper and wheel bolts so others don’t need to go hunting ;)

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,228 Posts
Thanks for a great write up and clear pictures. Are you able to edit and add in the correct torque settings for the caliper and wheel bolts so others don’t need to go hunting ;)
@i860 I think you have the torque settings.
I can remember wheel bolts are 80lb/ft but not the others.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
13 Posts
Great guide.

Just a quick question though, did you have any problems removing the caliper bolts? Access to mine are blocked by a suspension bar (the black one you can see behind the heatshield at the 12 o'clock position in your last photo.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,228 Posts
Great guide.

Just a quick question though, did you have any problems removing the caliper bolts? Access to mine are blocked by a suspension bar (the black one you can see behind the heatshield at the 12 o'clock position in your last photo.
Best to quote (as I have with your reply) or mention (as I will for you now) the member that you hope will reply.

@Slik hot

Note that there are several other brake diys that may contain the answer to your question.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK280
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great guide.

Hi
Caliper bolts are simple to get to,you may require a small wobble bar to make it easier for yourself (y)

·
*Registered
2005 SLK280
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said, mine are blocked by a bar so it's impossible to get a socket onto them so I will have to find another way
Use a spanner if you can't get a socket on them,or undo the anti roll bar if that makes it easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts