Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be my first time changing oil using an oil extractor, the result was impressive and better than what I expected. The following will be the step by step procedures, please feel free to correct me if anything wrong!:tu:

Tool needed:
12mm Allen Wrench
Oil extractor
Shop towel
Oil Container (optional, can hold more than 8.5qt)
8.5qt Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40 European formula

Step.1 Find the location of oil dipstick and filter element

Step.2 Using 12mm Allen wrench to remove filter cap

Step.3 Clean oil filter and put the "O-Ring" on place indicated

Step.4 Extract oil from oil dipstick

The oil extractor I have is a 6 liter, in this case I'll need to remove some of the oil in the middle.
While doing the tube removal be careful the oil will leak on the car or floor, use microfiber towel cover the fender so the tube won't scratch the paint.

Step.5 Replace oil filter element

I'm not sure which side is correct but both end are identical besides the line marked inside, I placed it in with AMG(or part number) label facing out. (The other side is "blank" just so you know) ---> correct me here if wrong!

Place it back in here!

Step.6 Refill new/clean synthetic oil 0W-40

After all these steps, start the engine and let it run for 5-10 minutes (or drive around your choice)

Quick tip:
* It will be better to warm up the engine before getting the oil change, I let it run for about 5 minutes, once the temperature reach around 90C I continue the job.

* Put a towel or something soft on the fender where the oil extractor tube lay, the tube does scratch the clear cost and might cause light swirl (from my previous experience)

* While removing the oil filter make sure you don't touch the metal part surround, it's hot, don't burn yourself.

* When finished, check if you put the oil dipstick (red Cap for AMG) back.

* Using a transparent oil container so you know how much oil already extracted, then you'll know how much new oil to put back in(might not be possible to extract 100% of the old oil, that's why you need to know how much to put in so you won't overfill)

* For non-AMG models, it is pretty much the same procedures as above besides you will need to remove front engine cover to get access to oil filter, also use different filter element, and dipstick instead of a red cap!;)

Conclusion:
It's a 30 minutes job, using oil extractor will make life a lot easier. It won't save you tons of money but will give you a piece of mind since you know what oil and filter you put in.

At the end, I extracted about 7.7 liter (8.13 qt) of old oil out of 8 liter (8.5 qt), result is good, no issue so far. You won't have a complete oil drain by extracting it, but sacrificing the 0.4qt will save you a lot of time, pick your favorite way to do an oil change!!

Happy DIY!! :Beer:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,460 Posts
cool! when done, place it in the diy section.

·
96,460 Posts

·
96,460 Posts
Thanks! that is the one. i just wanted to show we did have a diy oil change but it was not 'sticky'ed' in the diy section and some might have had to hunt for it.

·
96,460 Posts
mb dealer extracts mine every time

·
Registered
382 Posts
oh ok, I was just thinking if the dipstick is on the back and you extract it the oil in the front of the engine would be pulled out. But it will probably be ok

·
Registered 2012 SLK250-gone
1,211 Posts
what's the purpose of changing it through the oil dipstick entrance? I thought that was an insert only hole - no outgoing hole... unless it's bi-directional. don't you have to change the oil filter as well?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Been doing this for a few years now. Very easy process. Make sure you measure the amount sucked out. It usually takes a second round of pumping after you think there can't be anymore left.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
There have been several discussions about the “best” way to drain the oil on the SLK55. As Jeff said his MB dealer uses the extraction method, while my MB dealer said they always drain from the bottom using the two drain plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
what's the purpose of changing it through the oil dipstick entrance?

I thought that was an insert only hole - no outgoing hole... unless it's bi-directional.

don't you have to change the oil filter as well?
One needn't get under the car and remove various bits and pieces.

Uh, "bi-directional"? It's a tube, that runs from the top of the engine to the oil pan/sump, that allows the dip stick to get into the oil so the volume can be determined.

And yes, the filter is usually changed along with the oil, but some people change the filter every other o/c.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
846 Posts
what's the advantage to sucking instead of draining?
Lots of discussion on this but basics:
Extract:
No jacks / lifts necessary
No panels or drain plug to remove
Leaves a few ounces oil
You quickly know how much you drained
You need extractor

Drain:
Completely drains (edit: apparently not)
You get to inspect undercarriage
You need edit: 2 sockets
You need lifts / jacks or someway to get under car

I already had extractor for boat engine oil change so use that method.

G.

Spolier Alert: I am about to describe the process:
Remove dipstick or dipstick tube cap
Remove oil filler cap (better flow)
feed extractor tube through dipstick tube till it touches bottom
Pump the extractor 10 times creating a vacuum
About 4 quarts come out. Pump again to replenish vacuum.
Put in new oil (same amount as you took out)
Pour old oil into containers for recycle
Replace dipstick and oil filter cap.

Of course you should replace filter and that has been discussed also.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Drain:
1. Completely drains
You get to inspect undercarriage
You need socket and
2.torx driver
You need lifts / jacks or someway to get under car

I already had extractor for boat engine oil change so use that method.

G.
1. Not if only the front of the car is raised, i.e. driven onto ramps(at least not my 350); it leaves ~1/2 qt of oil in the "back" of the pan.
2. I just need 2 sockets; 1 for the diaper and 1 for the drain plug...no torx driver.

·
1,211 Posts
thanks guys - on the pros and cons of going through the dipstick or the regular way. bi-directional... meaning - when you put fluids in, it goes one way for entrance only but if it's bi, it goes both ways (in or out).

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
The dip stick tube is NOT for putting oil into the engine; there is an "oil cap" for that. Now, one could put the oil in that way, but it's not designed for that.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
846 Posts
thanks guys - on the pros and cons of going through the dipstick or the regular way. bi-directional... meaning - when you put fluids in, it goes one way for entrance only but if it's bi, it goes both ways (in or out).
I think you are referring to the oil filler cap rather than the dipstick tube that you don't put oil into. You cannot use an extrator in the oil filler.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
846 Posts
The dip stick tube is NOT for putting oil into the engine; there is an "oil cap" for that. Now, one could put the oil in that way, but it's not designed for that.
Galo, Sorry to be overiding/duplicating your posts. My typing is slower and my editing for spellin is slower bso I will back off :)

·
1,211 Posts
must have gotten my holes confused - one's only an entrance hole and one's and entrance and exit hole.

I think you are referring to the oil filler cap rather than the dipstick tube that you don't put oil into. You cannot use an extrator in the oil filler.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.