·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
For inquiring minds...

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree...nice job. Question? I personally do oil changes by the old fashion way, thru the oil pan drain plug. Just feel more comfortable knowing I got it all out. Yes, I understand that the way it is shown in the pics above is the way the dealer and the manual says to do....but still, anything wrong with that?

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree...nice job. Question? I personally do oil changes by the old fashion way, thru the oil pan drain plug. Just feel more comfortable knowing I got it all out. Yes, I understand that the way it is shown in the pics above is the way the dealer and the manual says to do....but still, anything wrong with that?
I certainly don't see anything wrong with it, other than having to crawl under the car to remove all the coverings and such. That and I've heard mention of crossthreading the oil plug(s).

In all this would have taken about fifteen minutes(without the photojournalism:usa:)

It should be noted that the car should be brought up to operating temperature to suspend particulates before using the suction technique.

Glad I could help. It really IS pretty simple.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,081 Posts
google it my friend

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never seen one of those suction vessels are they easy to get hold of?
Hi Ken,

You might try looking into "marine" oil changes. That's typically where these are used.

I've got the Mityvac 7300 (see pics) which holds about 8.8 liters. It runs about $96US at amazon.com

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I picked up a Pela PL-14 to chage the oil in my 320. This unit holds 14 Liters. With shipping it was about $120. I can change the oil in my car, and my girl friends car without having to go by the recycler. off the internet... Below is a link to the site I ordered it from.

Pela Oil Pump: PL-14

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
29 Posts
I picked up a Pela PL-14 to chage the oil in my 320. This unit holds 14 Liters. With shipping it was about $120. I can change the oil in my car, and my girl friends car without having to go by the recycler. off the internet... Below is a link to the site I ordered it from.

Pela Oil Pump: PL-14
Ausgezeichnet! Thanks for the recommendation on the Pela PL-14! The hard part as others pointed out was finding a receptacle capable of containing the 8.5 qts from the SLK320. I've been doing the changes the old fashioned way (and will probably continue to do so as it gives me a chance to inspect the undercarriage), but this could give me a head start by draining most of the oil.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MilesofSmiles......

Reckon you could do a similar post for your technique.
I'm inclined to do things the hard way....eg:
put car on ramps/lift....where to remove shroud bolts...etc.
prefered type of oil....climate (Im in Australia)

you can add photos next time you change it....

b22b

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm using my Android phone, and I'm not able to find a posting with the start to finish link to changing the oil for my SLK 230. Ie: Tools we'll need to remove the cover, step by step pictures etc...
Q
thanks,

Jonathan m

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,506 Posts
I did not know that my SLK took 8 quarts to change the oil? Mobil 1 oil should last 10-14k between oil changes per service adviser at MB. DON
From Sacramento Valley SlK Enthusiasts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for this thread and posting the photos. I recently started changing my oil in my SLK.

Question: how often should I change my oil filter?

(My SLK has 88,000 miles, mostly driven on highways. The last time I changed my oil, I used full synthetic-Royal Purple Oil and a K&N oil filter. I noticed that my engine temp was cooler on the really hot days here in Texas.)

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for this thread and posting the photos. I recently started changing my oil in my SLK.

Question: how often should I change my oil filter?

(My SLK has 88,000 miles, mostly driven on highways. The last time I changed my oil, I used full synthetic-Royal Purple Oil and a K&N oil filter. I noticed that my engine temp was cooler on the really hot days here in Texas.)
Since they're not that expensive I'd suggest every oilchange (10,000 miles).

BTW, Welcome Aboard!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also use a Mityvac oil evac unit similar to the one shown for oil changes on my 2002 SLK320 and love it. I was initially skeptical about it getting all the old oil out. But even after driving it a few days the new oil is still as clear and clean as when I put it in.

Numerous family members and friends have used the Mityvac since I bought it (it holds 8 US Qts and was $75 on Amazon) and 3 friends have bought Mityvacs for themselves. One of my sons used it on his Corolla a couple weeks ago and the oil was drained out literally in less than 3 min. Another son has used it on his Corvette with no hesitation.

No more jacking the car and crawling underneath for me. The only issue is none of them I saw held as much oil as my SLK so I do have to stop part way thru and empty the Mityvac. Small price to pay though compared to the oil sloshing around draining into a pan, emptying that, etc. :tu:

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also use a Mityvac oil evac unit similar to the one shown for oil changes on my 2002 SLK320 and love it. I was initially skeptical about it getting all the old oil out. But even after driving it a few days the new oil is still as clear and clean as when I put it in.

Numerous family members and friends have used the Mityvac since I bought it (it holds 8 US Qts and was $75 on Amazon) and 3 friends have bought Mityvacs for themselves. One of my sons used it on his Corolla a couple weeks ago and the oil was drained out literally in less than 3 min. Another son has used it on his Corvette with no hesitation.

No more jacking the car and crawling underneath for me. The only issue is none of them I saw held as much oil as my SLK so I do have to stop part way thru and empty the Mityvac. Small price to pay though compared to the oil sloshing around draining into a pan, emptying that, etc. :tu:
Not to mention not having to take off the cover or worrying about cross-threading the plug!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts