Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my paint is peeling, it was like that when I got the car. After reading a lot on here and Benzworld, I decided to get a vinyl interior paint to try and tackle this project myself.

As you can see, the interior looked like this... with the infamous peeling paint that the R170s are so well known for ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After taking the dash apart, I finally got to the center console removal...
A lot of steps to get to this point, guys...

I followed the website at http://ryououki.no-ip.com/r170/ for instructions. Still a lot of guess work and some careful elbow grease to do a lot of these.

I'm not looking forward to putting this back together...:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Center console:

I found one on eBay a while ago while the car was being painted... it's brand new, never installed, and I got it for $145, which I think was a good deal.

I used the old console after I managed to remove it, for practicing my vinyl painting. As with anything, prep is key. And if you rush it, you'll have to start all over. Allow plenty of time between coats, and don't rush the dry time. My 2nd attempt after stripping the first attempt off.

Can you tell which one is the new console and which one is the old one, repainted?

Answer: Photo 1 and 2: Left - Brand new OE, Right - Repainted.
Photo 3: Far: Brand New OE, Near, Repainted.
Photo 4: Interior door handles stripped and repainted.
Photo 5: SRS badges from doors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the paint I used:

I found a monster thread on this peeling paint problem on Benzword and read every single post (slow day at work) and decided to follow the suggestion of one of the individuals who used this company's products.

Here is the website: http://www.bryndana.com/
Cost was around $50.

I got the paint stripper from Lowe's for under $10. Pretty straightforward painting process. I found in my tests that if you don't strip the paint first, it simply scrapes right off with your fingernail. Lesson learnt: Do it right the first time with some patience.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Console repaint

Nice work DaytonaJae, My 230 is in need of a center console paint job. Looks like a winter project and a lot of swearing. Thanks for documenting the process.:tu:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi DaytonaJae,

Bit late to respond to your original post. Great job and many thanks for the documentation as I head into this same project, after holding back so long.

Quick question, dd you have to remove the door panel completely before you could remove the second half of the door handle pulls?

Many thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice.

I like the color you chose. I just took on a touch up job myself today. I have a 2000 Black SLK with the oyster and black interior. I bought some touch up paint from Volico in Germany. I used it on the console area. It matched perfectly. I didn't care for the look of the touch up on the glove box though. It looked hand painted because the area is so large. Volico does not ship spray cans to the US so I had to use a brush to apply.I decided since this is the area that seems to get scratched the most. I would clean the paint off and leave it black. I removed the glove box. I used acetone (nail polish remover) soaked rag to lay over the paint. It bubbled up and I peeled it off easily.After I cleaned it with acetone I washed it with soap and water and applied a coat of clear guard to it. I think it turned out pretty nice. Will post pic in my garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts