Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my paint is peeling, it was like that when I got the car. After reading a lot on here and Benzworld, I decided to get a vinyl interior paint to try and tackle this project myself.

As you can see, the interior looked like this... with the infamous peeling paint that the R170s are so well known for ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After taking the dash apart, I finally got to the center console removal...
A lot of steps to get to this point, guys...

I followed the website at http://ryououki.no-ip.com/r170/ for instructions. Still a lot of guess work and some careful elbow grease to do a lot of these.

I'm not looking forward to putting this back together...:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Center console:

I found one on eBay a while ago while the car was being painted... it's brand new, never installed, and I got it for $145, which I think was a good deal.

I used the old console after I managed to remove it, for practicing my vinyl painting. As with anything, prep is key. And if you rush it, you'll have to start all over. Allow plenty of time between coats, and don't rush the dry time. My 2nd attempt after stripping the first attempt off.

Can you tell which one is the new console and which one is the old one, repainted?

Answer: Photo 1 and 2: Left - Brand new OE, Right - Repainted.
Photo 3: Far: Brand New OE, Near, Repainted.
Photo 4: Interior door handles stripped and repainted.
Photo 5: SRS badges from doors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the paint I used:

I found a monster thread on this peeling paint problem on Benzword and read every single post (slow day at work) and decided to follow the suggestion of one of the individuals who used this company's products.

Here is the website: http://www.bryndana.com/
Cost was around $50.

I got the paint stripper from Lowe's for under $10. Pretty straightforward painting process. I found in my tests that if you don't strip the paint first, it simply scrapes right off with your fingernail. Lesson learnt: Do it right the first time with some patience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are my HID blub and ballasts (well, one side of it) I got them from www.ddmtuning.com

Total price is under $60 shipped with express shipping, I wanted them to arrive before the weekend to mess with them.

Like SLKRabbit's experience, except I went with the 5000k color in a 35w bulb and a slim ballast version. I figured what the heck.

Wired one up and looks good, although the beam pattern is sort of ... uh weird. Will try to get those in tonight or tomorrow and post some pics of the pattern.

Oops sorry, a little off topic from the painting but since they were right next to me I thought I'd snap a "work in progress" pic.

As you can see my kitchen is full of SLK parts... haha die hard fan here!

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,082 Posts
Great job!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for posting on both the interior paint and HID lights. Your repaint work looks great! And I am in the group that thinks the projector headlights nicely update the look of R170's.

I need to do both projects, although I will probably limit the interior repainting to the lower center console piece as it the most scratched up by far and takes the least effort of remove and re-install compared to the other dash pieces.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a guy in Australia called Adam Viponds who custom makes the interior paints to match - I used it on the red interior of mine and it did a good job. I'm sure he has a sight if you google him

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey Wendy - I've seen R170's touched up and ones than have been stripped and re-painted. As you can imagine, the repaints look a lot better than the touch-up's - but both do look better than leaving it as is.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I soaked the console in warm water for 1/2 hour and it came off with a scotchbrite pad - as shown in another post. It worked like a charm and I am leaving it black with no paint.
Hope that it was my post that you found useful. :biglaugh: I'm about to try something to resolve my front console's paint problem so I've been revisiting some of my posts and trying to rethink the whole painting issue. Durability wise, I would love to leave the plastic in its stock finish. (I would have really loved it if it were anything but the dead black that it is, if it were a grey perhaps!) But the black plastic tends to get a bit hotter in the summer time and then there is still the question of matching it to the other dash components. (Or as I would like, the door and seat inserts as well as the floor mats.)

The 2 consoles get the most of the wear and then there is the glove box face . . . but the rest of the dash really doesn't show much wear at all. These include the lower covers, the inner and outer "V" cover under the steering column, the cover for the instrument cluster face as well as the steering wheel and the shift knob. I had the covers under the steering column crack out so I've already purchased brand new ones in the charcoal color, and the remaining parts look very nice. (No peeling.)

So that leaves the consoles and the glove box. I could either leave them different, (as is currently shown in the one "sticky") or paint/re-paint everything to some lighter shade of grey, which is what I'd really like to do. Lastly I could just buy or paint the consoles in the charcoal color and be done with it. The rear console is a bit steep at nearly $500 (don't think that's with much assembled (except perhaps the carpet) versus $300 for the front. I've been thinking about getting a leather wrap for the steering wheel since the wood is cracking and one can buy a number of different types of shift knobs.

I might consider buying a front console and swaping it out (I have a project that I'd want to try out on the old one) and then maybe repainting the rear console since it's easier to get out, and driving the car without it is not a problem.

I'll probably try it on some of my broken pieces first with paint from the folks that DJ found . . . http://www.bryndana.com/

Those are few of my thoughts anyway.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,082 Posts
simmonshor,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice taking all the chipped paint off is what I should have done ,instead I tried to paint over it looks a lot better but wished I had done the same as you no patience 

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.