Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been done on Wheelbase21 car
No special tools are required for this.
Make sure you put the windows all the way down
Remove the battery ( in the book it state to remove + first but on wis they start with - ) just pull strait out the terminals and try not to wiggle them.
Remove the covers
Remove ecu PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY RIGHT CABLE MAST BE DISCONNECTED DO NOT DISCONNECT LEFT ONE. Just pull out the ecu and sit it in one side
Remove maf
Remove brake line ( pump the brake pedal a few times to realise pressure)
Remove ecu support
Remove all the electric line on top of the manifold, take care at the plastic clips
Take out fuel cap and the realise pressure on the fuel ramp with a screw drive ( remove the black cap )
Remove injectors ( pull up the ramp )
Remove 8 bolts form the manifold ( pdf attached with the right order )
Remove old plastic and replace with new one
Gaskets will go only one way so you can miss that.
Install all back and you are done.

Picture attached from beginning to end.
Manifold r171 350 - Album on Imgur

Attachments

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We start at 10.30 am and we finish at 13.30. It was first time so i took my time, also making pictures. Now i if i had to do it again i will need 2 h with some help.
What i will sugest for sitting the gaskets is sourcing 8 long metal wire to make the job easier when sitting the manifold on the gaskets.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Well, I have to take my hat off to Razvan (Ross i860) he is definitely a guy that knows what he's doing. A very, very big thank you for all your help in changing the tumbler flap thingy. When put back together the car even started first time! You should have seen the smile on my face - I think I still have that same smile 24 hrs later lol...Thanks again...:grin: Terence....

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks. As I suspected, one of the plastic clips broke during removal. Will I now have to replace the MAF?

Also had the upper right plastic hose bib break off in the manifold as I was lifting it out. How do I remove and repair? Do they have replacement plastic pieces?

·
**Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
446 Posts
I took mine down to 15 ft-lb.

Please disregard this post and use the information provided in the next post by i860. While 15 ft-lbs (20 Nm) isn't much force, it is over twice the torque provided in i860's post. I found my value in BenzWorld and another internet source, but now I suspect this torque spec applies to the R170.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
660 Posts
To bring the thread back to life. Mine manifold tumble is still good, but Im going to replace it with the metal part for precaution. Do I need a new manifold gaskets? or can I reuse the old ones? and where is the best place to buy the gasket?? thank you

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
270 Posts
To bring the thread back to life. Mine manifold tumble is still good, but Im going to replace it with the metal part for precaution. Do I need a new manifold gaskets? or can I reuse the old ones? and where is the best place to buy the gasket?? thank you
Not recommended using old one since new one is less than $10 for both on eBay.

Make sure u got the updated metal part with the cup socket on the end or else u have to file the socket off the metal link.

Hope that answer ur question

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
32 Posts
Replacing intake tumbler flap

I just ordered the parts from Uro parts to fix the cheap intake manifold from mb. Any words of wisdom from those who have already tackled this job? Can the intake be disassembled and cleaned of carbon build up of internal parts that may have contributed to the failure? Any info is appreciated ?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.