Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DIY - Instrument cluster and light bulb R&R for R170 without telescoping steering

In order to replace the instrument light bulbs the cluster has to be removed.

This is a procedure for removing the instrument cluster from a left hand drive R170 w/o telescoping steering. Removing the steering wheel is not required. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,940 Posts
Roger and Out,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
94,940 Posts
curro101,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to add my appreciation for the very well written and documented .pdf instructions. I doubt I would have tackled this job without it, and paid the $240 to replace the instrument lamps. One note of caution to those attempting this procedure. I discovered that the dash plastic was painted (grey, over light primer, over black plastic) and easily damaged if hard tools are used. If you are temped to pry, do so with much caution. Damaged areas really stand out. Happily mine ended well.:bannana:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I followed these instruction to change one bulb from my panel and it worked very fine, problem was when i mount it back my fuel gauge didn´t came up. NOw i dont know how mutch fuel i have on deposit.
Anyone know any solution plx
Thx

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is there a DIY for the r171 for this? I searched but can't find anything...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anyone tried this with an adjustable steering column?
Does it make it easier as it gives more space between binnacle and back of steering wheel?
I have 1 bulb out so wa thinking about changing the 3 main pods to blue leds.
Opinions please, I have already changed the interior bulbs to blue leds and looks good refelcting off of the metal centre console.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our SLK320 has an adjustable steering wheel and I had no issues with clearance when performing this job. I can only assume that this is easier than attempting it without the ability to telescope the wheel away from the cluster. My biggest issue was some very stubborn clips that required persistence. Again be careful of using anything that might scratch the thin layer of paint. I wound up purchasing special dash paint to touch up my mistake. Still very happy that I did the job myself. Would have given up without the great instructions here.:hail:

·
94,940 Posts
dpresser,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks dpresser,

It's good to know that it was easier, I have been putting it off for a year, but I may be moving on to a 171 sowant to get bulb sorted before I sell it.

Cheers and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but I on my 230, the plastic cylinder (not sure what it's called) that sits right behind the steering wheel and holding the lights and cruise control switches has become loose. It moves right and left whenever I want to activate the turn signal. I'm clueless as what I can do to fix it. Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
62 Posts
finally got around to changing the blown bulb. Used instructions very good but did not seem to remove as many parts to gain access. had all the blue leds ready and then found that generic type doesn't fit. warning do not buy off of ebay you'l just be wasting time and money. any how luckily I had a spare for the blown bulb, first time in 18 months that I've had a fully lit dash. Changed the 501's again in interior light now to bright white smd leds and looks less boy racery as the wife puts it.
Moral of the story Merc knows best and makes it difficult to mess with perfection. On the upside got loads of leds to spec up brothers jap crap car

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.