Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
by eshahwan

Oil Replacement Method:
Siphoning oil using Vacuum Pump - I choose this method because:

1. SLK 280 is too low to drive it over ramps. I felt that the steel ramps will hit fenders and may damage them in their way up. So I did not want to take this risk
2. Looking under the car, it is completely covered with plastic panels (splash shields / belly pans).
3. I bought a Multi-Purpose vacuum pump from Amazon. The pump is simple to use, holds 2 gallons of oil and is shown below.

Materials Needed:
8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 (0W-40) synthetic oil
MB Oil Filter Element (Part# A100 180 26 09, you can buy WIX # 57078 from O’Reilly Auto parts or Amazon.

Tools Needed:
1. 75mm socket/oil filter Wrench & ratchet. You can buy the wrench on ebay or Amazon for $5 – $6.

Instructions:
A. Removing the old oil filter cartridge
1. Warm up the oil by starting the engine for few minutes.
2. Open the hood via the hood release found on the lower left side of the driver’s console.
3. Remove the oil filler cap.
4. Remove the engine cover.

5. Locate the oil filter cartridge. The top of the filter cartridge is black.

6. Place the 75 mm oil filter Wrench & ratchet on the top of the black oil filter cartridge and unscrew it.

7. Remove the old filter cartridge from the oil filter housing and look at the seals & their locations on the cartridge for next step new seal placement in the new cartridge.

8. Places the new seals and insert the new oil filter cartridge in place and then back in the oil filter housing. Tighten slightly with the 75mm socket. Caution: Do not over tight!

B. Siphoning old oil from engine

1. Remove the oil dip stick.
2. Follow instructions included with the pump to properly siphon the old oil.
3. Start siphoning the old oil. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully to get all the dirty oil from the engine.

4. Now pour the 8.5 quarts of synthetic Mobile 1 into the oil filler. When finished, start the engine. Allow for the oil to cycle through the system for a few minutes. Shut off the engine and check the oil level. Add more oil as necessary and fill to the MAX line as indicated on the dip stick. Properly dispose of all waste oil and filters according to your local and state laws. Reset the FSS service indicator using the instructions below.

C. Resetting FSS Service Indicator
I used the following instructions found in the forum.
There is more than one key sequence to get to the service menus.

1) Turn key to position 1
2) With the display in the "default" normal driving position, (this should be speed or temperature)
3) Press the reset button quickly three times.
4) The display will now read the battery voltage
5) Press down arrow once to get to service menu
6) Press "-" (minus) three times until you highlight "confirmation"
7) Page Down (key next to arrow down) to advance to the next menu
8) You should see Confirm Full, Cancel Full, Cancel Items.
9) Turn ignition key to position 2 (I think you could do this anytime after step 4 above)
10) Press Page Down while Confirm Full Service is highlighted
11) You should get a message confirming success
12) Repeat Page Up (key next to up arrow) until you reach the standard display
13) Start the engine
14) Page up to the screen that normally says Service "X" in "NNNN" miles. It should read "Reading Data Please Wait".
15) After 30 seconds or so it will read "Service "X" in 13000 miles.

You can also get to the service menu by holding the reset button down while the "Service "X" in "NNNN" miles" is displayed. But this seems to be a reduced function menu.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
lkchris
Went to see WIX # 57078 from O’Reilly Auto parts. Looking at it and per them it is not fleece. It is a replacement filter, but paper.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,403 Posts
lkchris
Went to see WIX # 57078 from O’Reilly Auto parts. Looking at it and per them it is not fleece. It is a replacement filter, but paper.
Vern,

lkchris has not been on since:
Last Activity: 01-04-2012

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,403 Posts
Someone has to keep you straight :D

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,257 Posts
Am I the only one that is not able to see the photos?

Nope.

Sometimes this is 3rd party host refusing to share (eg photobucket),
or users no longer having the photo in the place from which they posted.

That's why we encourage attaching photos, then they are hosted on the forum's servers.
ie safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.