Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horn stopped working and mechanic Hare Repair in Houston diagnosed the problem to the horns, not the wiring or power supply. So I picked up these Hella horns on Amazon.com for $43 including shipping.

2011-07-01 15.22.26.jpg

Included these schematics:
2011-07-01 15.22.35.jpg

My pictures of the old broken horns were too dark so I only have the new horns after installation. But the new horns have the same basic design and layout as the original with the exception that the new horns have the same tone vs high and low. They are loud as hell.

Feel free to post questions and I'll do my best to help.

1#. Open the hood.

2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. (I usually wait 1-2 mins)

2011-07-01 15.21.59.jpg

3. Unscrew the 6 screws at the top and both edges of the front grill and remove grill. Should slide out, but my bumper is bent so I had to yank and be careful not to crack the plastic.

2011-07-01 14.37.47.jpg

4. Unplug connectors from old horn terminals.

2011-07-01 15.22.15.jpg

5.Unscrew bracket from from car chassis (aka where the bracket attaches to the car). Then remove the horn.

2011-07-01 15.21.46.jpg

6. Repeat or other horn.

7. Installation of new horns is reverse working from steps 6-2.

8. Turn ignition to start or on position and test horns.

(These horns came with a relay, but was not necessary to replace as the mechanic confirmed the horns were getting power but still did not work. So I knew this was the only component I would be replacing. He was right.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Sergeant-at-Arms/Moderator

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
no problem my friend! great write-up!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looks great, im thinking about geting those, do they sound grily? Are they loud? My horns don't work and ive tested them and they work fine, checked fuses, come to conclusion i have no power going to the steering wheel and that's where i stopped.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great, im thinking about geting those, do they sound grily? Are they loud? My horns don't work and ive tested them and they work fine, checked fuses, come to conclusion i have no power going to the steering wheel and that's where i stopped.
They are loud and intense. I would not say that sound feminine. Let me know when you find the source of your problem. Tracing the source of an electrical problem can be fun/frustrating adventure.

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
800 Posts
thanks for this excellent thread

I thought the horn on my new baby sounded a bit thin, and I had the same issue with my r107 a few months back. The horns on that were a piece of cake to find, nesting down under the front spoiler, but it would have taken me ages to find the horns in the SLK without this thread. Thanks.
Only one of the horns was u/s, but I plumped for a replacement kit similar to the one you featured. Made in Italy, unbranded, but look a lot like some FIAMM ones I saw a few years ago. I fitted the same set to my SL as well, and they do improve the " audible warning device" effect considerably.

A Mercedes should be heard as well as it is seen...>:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.