Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be of interest to those of you who have a WindRestrictor or similar type accessory , but miss the headrest parts the OEM Wind Deflector offers .

I used a 6mm diameter perforated steel sheet :

Using a piece of cardboard I made up a template , adjusting it for a perfect fit ( as I have the OEM screen I was able to use my insert for a pattern ) :

Using the template I marked up the metal sheet and cut out the general shape with an angle grinder with a cutting disc , which I then finished off with a bench grinder :

After sanding the metal to remove light scratches and prepare for painting :

I sprayed the inserts with matt black spray :

I used a 8mm soft rubber tube which I sliced along one side to cover the edges to avoid damaging the headrests :

After cutting the tubing to the right length I super glued the ends to make a closed rubber surround :

The finished item looked like this :

If you prefer , instead of spraying black you could also spray the inserts with clear laquer for a result something like this :

Well that's all folks !!

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
102,343 Posts
Good job! Now, just like John's 3rd brake light, you have another business!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Very, very nice! Now, that really looks OEM! Good job Curro101 :Beer:

·
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically yes , as the roll bars aren't actually solid , but do give slightly , the inserts are gripped tightly which is obviously helped by the rubber tubing , which is also to prevent damaging the roll bars themselves .
Tonimccloud will be able to tell us if they're tight enough as I made them for him !

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
1,181 Posts
Very nice.....one question comes to mind...any sound generated at cruising speeds due to part configuration?? I think your mod looks quite classy!

·
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We'll have to wait for Tonimccloud to try them out for that , but some sellers , like Piecha I think it is , sell wind restrictors with similar inserts , but no one sold them seperately !

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
73 Posts
I love it.... Nice DIY. Great Job
Now I want some...

Cheers
Ingen

·
10,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll swap you a set for your wheels , jeje ??

Seriously if you can't make / get a set , drop me a PM and we can sort something out !

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
102,343 Posts
Great job, but something tells me that without the oem holders and plexi which attach to the inserts, they might 'fly' out. thoughts?

·
Banned for no reason !!!
305 Posts
Great job, but something tells me that without the oem holders and plexi which attach to the inserts, they might 'fly' out. thoughts?
Exactly what i was thinking .

brilliant innovation and idea , look good but just answer the long life and what stops them popping out ? just when your about to wheelspin around that old crisp packet laying on the ground ? :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts