Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REPLACEMENT OF ENGINE MOUNTS (2002 MERCEDES SLK230)

This procedure (both front engine mounts) is based on my recent DIY experience only. It is for reference only. And yes, I used both SAE and Metric tools.

Tools:

Ratchet, extension, sockets (5/16”, ¼”, 13mm, 16mm), 5/8” wrench, pry bar (such as handle from a floor jack), 2x4 wood block, Blue thread lock.

Procedure (start with passenger side engine mount):

1. Put front of car on jack stands.
2. Remove bottom engine shield using 5/16” socket.
3. Open hood and remove front engine cover.
4. Remove and plug small radiator over-flow hose from top front of engine using ¼” socket.
5. Disconnect MAF pipe from intercooler elbow.
6. Disconnect air intake hose of air filter housing from resonator (oil separator).
7. Remove top screw from passenger side engine mount with 5/8” wrench. (Use pry bar for leverage if necessary)
8. Remove bottom engine mount screw using 13mm socket.
9. Remove screw from metal flange near the engine mount (see picture) using 5/16” socket. Move flange out of the way to make room for removing the engine mount.
10. Use a suitable piece of 2x4 wood block and jack up the engine at the bottom of oil pan.
Jack up engine enough to remove the passenger side engine mount.
11. Remove engine mount.
12. Install new engine mount. Note key position of engine mount.
13. Apply thread lock and replace top mount screw. Tighten screw.
14. Lower engine enough to align bottom screw hole.
15. Apply thread lock and replace bottom mount screw. Tighten screw lightly.
16. Lower engine all the way and tighten bottom mount screw.
17. Replace metal flange screw.
Next, to the driver side…
18. Remove top screw from driver side engine mount using 14mm socket and extension.
19. Remove bottom screw from drive side engine mount using 13mm socket.
20. Use a suitable piece of 2x4 wood block and jack up the engine at the bottom of oil pan.
21. Jack up engine enough to remove the passenger side engine mount. May need to jack up 2~3” in order to remove the mount.
22. Remove mount.
23. Install new mount. Note the key position of the mount.
24. Apply thread lock and replace top mount screw. Tighten screw.
25. Lower engine enough to align bottom screw hole.
26. Apply thread lock and replace bottom mount screw. Tighten lightly.
27. Lower engine all the way and tighten bottom mount screw.
28. Clear bottom of car.
29. Lower the car and reconnect all hoses and MAF pipe previously disconnected.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just got my engine and transmission mounts a week ago. Noticed some weird resonance shaking at certain rpms, and engine became a bit louder at 80 mph. Also when the hood was open when turning off the engine it shook more than a little while ago. The total for all 3 was $200. They are Lemfoerder brand. Look sturdy. They do lack MB logo on it :) and the box says "Lemfoerder is a brand of ZF". Forgot to take pictures. Will post them later! When spring break comes I'll go ahead and install them!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Here are my new engine mounts from Lemfoerder!
The only thing that I need is to locate the third (aka transmission mount). Does anyone know where exactly this one located?

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Expecting another good write up. :)

Tranny mount ought to be easy to find - look at the back end of the transmission. Never did one on an SLK yet, but they are typically an easy job on other Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Advice is needed!!!! I tried to replace my engine mounts today and was just partially successful... I couldn't get the driver's side out... I unscrew it, jacked up the engine about 3 inches high and there's just not enough space to squeeze this mount in between the engine pan and the "gear assembly". (It's the main assembly where the hydraulic steering fluid go in and out). How did you folks manage to get it out??? I did remove the steering damper to get more room but this mount wouldn't squeeze...
The passenger's side took me literally 7 minutes. Unscrew, jack up, take old out and put new one in, screw back in. That's it!!! But I was trying to jiggle the driver's side mount and in vain... For tonight I just put screw it back in...
F):soap:

Please help me!!!!

P.S. the old mounts seem OK on the outside. No visible damage or leak :D

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,201 Posts
have you checked out any youtube videos on replacing engine mounts to give you some ideas?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
have you checked out any youtube videos on replacing engine mounts to give you some ideas?
Darn... where have you been earlier Jeff?! :D I just watched a series of youtube videos with the guy named "fupabox".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxPK1VcKOo
He's done an awesome video review with his MB W202 (C-class).
The thing that was interesting is that he turned his wheels all the way to the right. Now I'm starting to think if that does the trick... Will try it tomorrow =)
He also showed hot to replace the transmission mount. So as soon as I'm done with the driver's side (hopefully) I'll do the back. Seems pretty easy too!
Thanks for a hint Jeff! You rock!!! :rb:rockon:

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Jayson - never did the job on my SLK yet. However, the guys with the same engine in the 210 chassis have to remove/disconnect more than I had to on my diesel 210. If you want to do some reading about their experiences, check out the 210 chassis forum on BenzWorld. It's a "dot org" site.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I finally managed to replace the driver's side! The trick is to turn your wheels all the way to the right. This way the steering arm moves to the left and gives you a little bit more space! It took me 7 minutes as with the other side! Was very easy as soon as I watched this video:

This guy did an amazing job videotaping the process!
And here's for the passenger side:

I also replaced the transmission mount. Really similar to the one in the video. Just 2 more bolts and that's it.

Btw, mine didn't look bad at all... No leaks, nothing...

·
Registered
319 Posts
SLK 1999 Engine Mounts

Hi guys,

Some pics for the engine mounts for the PRE face lift 1999 230 we (he) has just done today.

First pic is of the right hand side (new versus old) of a LHD German 1999 230. You can see the difference in wear.

2nd pic of signs of leaking on the old one. Right side.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts