Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a busy week for the 55. After the track, I had new tires put on. Decided to do the brakes and spark plugs myself.
Surprisingly, the brakes are super simple. 4 piston rears and 6 piston fronts. I went with a carbon fiber ceramic performance brake pad. There are many types to choose from, but make sure to get the right size the first time. It took the boys at the parts store 3 tries to get the right pads ordered for the fronts.

Punch out the two pins, remove the spring clip, decompress the calipers, grease up the new pads and put back together. The front passenger side takes a single break wear sensor, which only ran $17. 1 hour total to do all 4 sets of pads.

The spark plugs were a 2 hour job. Bosch iridium were the plugs of choice for me. Remove front engine cover, airbox, and the two air intake tubes connecting to the airbox from the front on each side. I used a long 3/4’ wrench to assist pulling the plug wires off front to back, then unscrewed the coil packs & flipped them up onto the intake so they’d be out of the way.
you’ll need a deep-well spark plug socket, a swivel joint, and a 6” extension for your ratchet. I started at the rear driver side and replaced them one by one. Put the plug wires back on and screw down the coil packs. Repeat for the passenger side. It’s a little tighter on the passenger side rear, but I have big sausage fingers and was still able to feel around & reach/grasp back there.

It just turned 57,000 miles and all of the plugs I pulled out were looking tired. Took it out for a spin afterward and it definitely makes a difference. Next on the list is an oil change.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
do you have any pictures to go with this 'diy' thread? :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts
our diy spark plug threads are here:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,293 Posts

·
*Registered
2009 SLK200 2Look
309 Posts
It’s been a busy week for the 55. After the track, I had new tires put on. Decided to do the brakes and spark plugs myself.
Surprisingly, the brakes are super simple. 4 piston rears and 6 piston fronts. I went with a carbon fiber ceramic performance brake pad. There are many types to choose from, but make sure to get the right size the first time. It took the boys at the parts store 3 tries to get the right pads ordered for the fronts.

Punch out the two pins, remove the spring clip, decompress the calipers, grease up the new pads and put back together. The front passenger side takes a single break wear sensor, which only ran $17. 1 hour total to do all 4 sets of pads.

The spark plugs were a 2 hour job. Bosch iridium were the plugs of choice for me. Remove front engine cover, airbox, and the two air intake tubes connecting to the airbox from the front on each side. I used a long 3/4’ wrench to assist pulling the plug wires off front to back, then unscrewed the coil packs & flipped them up onto the intake so they’d be out of the way.
you’ll need a deep-well spark plug socket, a swivel joint, and a 6” extension for your ratchet. I started at the rear driver side and replaced them one by one. Put the plug wires back on and screw down the coil packs. Repeat for the passenger side. It’s a little tighter on the passenger side rear, but I have big sausage fingers and was still able to feel around & reach/grasp back there.

It just turned 57,000 miles and all of the plugs I pulled out were looking tired. Took it out for a spin afterward and it definitely makes a difference. Next on the list is an oil change.
Nice job done! ? Did you check the new plug gaps or presume that that they were ok from factory and thus not necessary to?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts