Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,657 Posts
Just did the brake bleeding on my slk 350
Tools:

Sealey VS820 Brake and Clutch Bleeding System ( mb recommends 2 bar pressure )
In my case the rear bleeders where rusty so I use a deep 9 mm socket to realise them.
Something to remove old fluid from reservoir, I use a pela oil extractor.
1.5l of Dot 4 plus A0009890807
Bleeding order in attachment.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Click on thumbnail to open pdf

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
Just did the brake bleeding on my slk 350
Tools:

Sealey VS820 Brake and Clutch Bleeding System ( mb recommends 2 bar pressure )
In my case the rear bleeders where rusty so I use a deep 9 mm socket to realise them.
Somthing to remove old fluid from reservoir, I use a pela oil extractor.
1.5l of Dot 4 plus A0009890807
Bleeding order in attachment.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
To add to i860 post:

The master cylinder reservoir is easy to remove to facilitate dumping the old fluid and cleaning. It has two plastic nipples out of the bottom of the reservoir that lock (bottom of the nipple has a ridge) into rubber grommets at the top master cylinder.

With the reservoir cap in place, unplug the electrical connector and roll the reservoir toward you to pop the nipple ridge up and out of the grommets. Once the reservoir is at about a 40-50* angle, it is free and with some swiftness pull it up and use a finger from each hand to put over the open nipples to keep brake fluid from coming out (brake fluid is extremely caustic and can eat the paint off any surface it comes in contact with so use caution when working with it). With the cap on and focused movement the reservoir can be removed without fluid loss.

Once removed, dump the old fluid and clean with new fluid by pouring some in and shaking to help dislodge any crud in the crevices of the reservoir. Do not use brake clean on the inside of the reservoir. It can be used on the outside but not where it might mix with brake fluid on the inside of the braking system. The grommets should stay with the master cylinder and should not be removed unless it is obvious they need to be replaced due to a split in the rubber.

To reinstall simply press the nipples into the rubber grommets and refill with fresh brake fluid. This method will not introduce air into the system as long as the brake pedal is not touched while the reservoir is off or empty.

Note: If there is a build up of crud on the outside of the reservoir, before you remove the reservoir use brake clean to thoroughly wash down the outside of the reservoir (cap on). Use rags to wipe up including around the lower side of the reservoir. Make sure the brake clean is completely dry before you proceed to remove the reservoir as you do not want to have brake clean mix with in the brake fluid inside the system.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK350
447 Posts
2012 slk 350 On my second bleed since new. I use a home made vacuum system. I use my air condition vacuum pump on a old freon tank. Pull it down and then suck out the brake fluid from the brake reservoir . I use a 1/4 inch hose. Refill and then start on the RR and then LR, RF and LF. Ensure you keep the reservoir full as you go. Top off at the correct level. Open the freon tank valve and let equalize. Fill will 20 lbs of air from air compressor. Install old freon hose to tank, turn upside down . Put end of hose back into brake fluid can, Turn on tank valve and fill brake fluid can back up with old fluid. Take to center for brake fluid recycling. Good for two more years. I have used this method for many years on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is there any difference between brake fluid and transmission fluid? Reason I ask is since it is shared by brake and manual transmission. I am planning to flush my system, and wondered if I should get brake fluid or redline or similar manual transmission oil.

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes is a big difference between transmission fluid and brake fluid. In you case, manual transmission, you use brake fluid for the clutch so when you do your brakes you need to bleed your clutch. Transmission oil you will put in your gear box only.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,860 Posts
Yes is a big difference between transmission fluid and brake fluid. In you case, manual transmission, you use brake fluid for the clutch so when you do your brakes you need to bleed your clutch. Transmission oil you will put in your gear box only.
Sometimes people scare me what they have in mind to do to there cars . :surprise:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.