Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently changed the grill on my R172. In that connection, I had to mount over the two radar sensors to the new grill. The aftermarket grill had a slightly different bracket for the box that holds the radar sensors, so a little modification to the boxes where needed, but I got both fixed in position.
After the first longer test trip, I discovered that Distronic Plus did not work properly. At higher speeds than about 70 km/hour it worked, but at lower speeds it does not work, and Driving Assistance where notifying too short distance to the car in front, without any car in front of me.
My theory is that when one moves over the radar sensors they will never get exactly the same position as they had, and that the system detects that deviation. If so, it may be for security reasons that the system disables Ditronic Plus. Then why does it work at higher speeds? As I understand it, the two satellite sensors in the grill work at a lower speed. among other things, they will catch obstacles as pedestrians and when approaching a car in front of them (the last meters).
At a higher speed I have understood that it is a sensor in the radar itself. The radar that sits directly behind the star in the grill. It is not stuck in the grill, so I have not made any changes to its position.
I wonder if anyone knows if the error may be that the radar sensors must be calibrated against the radar because they may have changed position? Or could it be that when disconnecting and reconnecting the radar sensors, something has to be reset in the brain of the car? I do not receive any error messages from the dashboard after starting the car. Only a message that the system disconnects from Distronic Plus, after trying to use it at a speed lower than about 70 km per hour.
I called Mercedes and asked, but they were very unsure and just want me to book an hour (or five 馃槪) for troubleshooting. Thats why I try here in the forums before letting the stealer 馃槷sorry, the dealer try to fix the problem.

Registered
The dealer is going to tell you to put the original front end back on. How much were the sensors moved? Are they still aimed exactly the same? Is the radar patch blocked more now than it was on the original? My guess is that it is hitting something on the new bumper and it thinks it is an object.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer is going to tell you to put the original front end back on. How much were the sensors moved? Are they still aimed exactly the same? Is the radar patch blocked more now than it was on the original? My guess is that it is hitting something on the new bumper and it thinks it is an object.
Initially, the radar sensors are positioned just like the original, because there is a molded field in the new grille, with clamps where you squeeze the box with the radar sensor into. Of course, it may be a few millimeters different because it is jammed inside the grill and the grill is fixed to the bumper. In addition, an isopore piece is added to the entire same field on the inside of the grill. When the bumper with the entire assembled "choir" 馃槻馃槻馃槻is to be mounted, it will end up with the difference of millimeters each time one disassembles and reassembles the bumper. These two "satellite" sensors cannot be physically / manually calibrated when the bumper is screwed into place. It may be possible to electronically calibrate them against the "mother control" / radar in the middle, behind the star (which also has its own sensor). The radar itself has not been changed on the fact that it is screwed straight into the body of the car behind the grill and bumper. That part is untouched by my hands. As for whether the grill itself is in a material that the sensors capture as an object, I have been thinking about it. Therefore, I asked the supplier if other customers have experienced problems with this grill when mounting on SLK with Ditronic Plus. This is the answer I got. Of course, I know nothing about the reliability of those who responded:
Thank you for your e-mail.
We have not experienced any issues whatsoever with mounting of these grilles to models with Distronic / Plus. Therefore, we cannot fathom why you would experience any problems.
No other customers have expressed any issues either.
Regards,
CKS Performance

Maybe in xentry you can recalibrate the system.
As I wrote above here, you cannot physically / manually adjust the two "satellite sensors" because they are on the inside of the grill and bumper. No access or adjustment options when in position. They are fixed.
Thats why your input is one of my hopes, that a diagnosis and possible electronic calibration, or a reset in the brain of the car will fix it馃檪

Super Moderator
In regards to re-calibration, it appears that your MB dealer can do it.

This is in regards to an E-class wheel alignment issue but it address's your re-calib issue

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
In regards to re-calibration, it appears that your MB dealer can do it.

This is in regards to an E-class wheel alignment issue but it address's your re-calib issue
Thanks. Looks like this most likely will be the next step 馃檪

I am taking about xentry adaptation. You need sd connect c4
I do not have such equipment, so it is most likely a trip to the dealer that will be the next step. Thanks :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
I have received many good suggestions. I appreciate that. Have decided to "crawl to the cross" 馃ゴ. Time is booked at the Mercedes dealer on Monday. They will start with a check of "the brain of the car". I'm excited about the outcome. I will come back with a possible answer or result after this meeting :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have been to my Mercedes dealer today, who I know very well and who is very reliable. They did not find any errors in the diagnosis, but they found the same errors as I have pointed out as a reason why Distronic Plus does not work. They checked and saw that the radar sensors were at the wrong angle due to partially detached (sensor box) from one of their fasteners on either side. After dismantling the bumper, they/I registered that it is not possible to mount the parking sensors in any other way. They saw that the end of the parking sensors was causing interference to the radar sensors and that it made it very tight to depress the radar sensors. The clamps to hold the radar sensors are not strong enough and the placement of the tendons partially over portions of the parking sensors works poorly. Compared to what the supplier has claimed, this is no "plug and play" grill when you have Distronic Plus. My Mercedes dealer said they were willing to try to modify, but they could not guarantee either the result or the durability. With so many unsafe cards, I made the decision that they could reinstall the original grill so everything could work properly, and it also did so, after retrofitting the original grill. I have sent a complaint about this to the supplier and I wonder if they take responsibility for selling something that does not work. There have been about 800 euros in total (grill, shipping, VAT about 300 euros and work about 500 euros) out of the window so far, with the price of the grill and for the mounting jobs :mad:
I will return with the result in relation to whether the supplier takes responsibility or not so others can learn from my experience :giggle:
The good news is that the car works with all the radar features again (after retrofitting the original grill). Function takes precedence over aesthetics 馃槉

Premium Member
Awww... sad to see the outcome of this new grill on your Distronic Plus feature. But you made the right decision to revert back to stock grill.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Awww... sad to see the outcome of this new grill on your Distronic Plus feature. But you made the right decision to revert back to stock grill.
Appreciate the support. It seemed so raw with that grill. I'm disappointed, but the original is classical nice in its own way. It does not help to have a beautiful partner, if all the "aftermarket products" ruin her for her healthy and good functional capabilities. Without comparison 馃榾

Registered
thanks for flagging this and sorry you had problems but you have helped me make my mind up. I was going to swap to a new CKS grill but couldn't work out which one. I now won't, my car remains original !!! :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for flagging this and sorry you had problems but you have helped me make my mind up. I was going to swap to a new CKS grill but couldn't work out which one. I now won't, my car remains original !!! :)
That's good my warning works. Do not want others to have the same problems and lose as much money and time as me. So you also have Distronic Plus?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
I do have distronic plus
I did not think AMG had Distronic Plus, because I read that the first editions of R172 AMG did not came with this. So that means they were delivered with Distronic at a later point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts