Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, pump dried and temporarily refitted.

Got almost all the electrics back except I now have an esp warning light. Could possibly still be a pse issue, or could be esp motion solenoid under centre console. (irony that we watched Quests Wheeler Dealer on the SLK with that very problem, only last night).

Need to find the source of this leak. Definitely offside and at least half way up.

Gummied seals around boot, probed drain holes and still some ingress.

Just dreading the thought of dismantling the internal covers. Too much stuff goes on around and through them.

Thanks for the help guys, especially Bazzles thread on Benzworld. Made it much more manageable.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,819 Posts
sometimes driving for a bit resets that light.

·
37,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the source of the leaks, hopefully.

Both of the corners beneath the rear window show signs of water passing.

May end up buying new seals, but of tricks first.
They look ok, no signs of them perishing and no nicks/creases.

Need some dry weather then will clean and regummi all the seals around the tail end as a start.
I doubt that will do it, but it's an easy starting point.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320 Wizard of ID
595 Posts
I found the source of the leaks, hopefully.

Both of the corners beneath the rear window show signs of water passing.

May end up buying new seals, but of tricks first.
They look ok, no signs of them perishing and no nicks/creases.

Need some dry weather then will clean and regummi all the seals around the tail end as a start.
I doubt that will do it, but it's an easy starting point.
Gummi Pfledge can't hurt!

·
*Registered
2001 SLK230K
26 Posts
I know it's a 4-year-old post but age should not get in the way of learning?

My alarm decided to go off at 3 am, on more than one occasion, so I took my PSE off to inspect it. It was dry but I decided to go deeper and opened it up and it looked good inside, too. I hope it is just the white connector being naughty? I was going to extend the air-lines and mount the PSE upside down but I could not persuade it to fit that way due to the wires being a bit too short and did not want to tug on the harness to see if it would come further out. I put it back together as it was it works for now.

A tip for opening the PSE box: I stuck a flat blade screwdriver into the gap next to each of the retaining tabs... I needed around 5 prys (screwdrivers or wood or plastic wedges). I then stuck plastic pry tool into the slot and the bottom came out leaving the tabs on the other side to pry open before it came apart. as always, I forgot to take a picture of the procedure so sorry about that.

Maybe I should check the relays next? I found a post somewhere that said that the alarm unit has a battery that dies with age so I will investigate that as well.

However, I have pictures that might help others, hence adding to this post. Now it's back to the "Rattle on Startup after standing for 3 days" problem, for me.

Roger and out

Attachments

·
*Registered
2002 SLK320
28 Posts
My2002 SLK 320 had the Tow Away light stuck on and random flashing lights when locked and parked. Killed the battery twice and neighbors coming over telling me about lights flashing - I told them it was taken over by aliens....

So I pulled the PSE and noticed all was clean and dry but perhaps the roof pump had leaked on it at some point. I had rebuilt roof cylinders a few years ago. I may have spilled some then when re-filling it. I noticed some one else had already drilled holes in the bottom of the case so maybe it was old water intrusion. The black and white plugs and pins were both corroded so I sprayed heavily with electronics cleaner and brushed them with nylon mini brush. BE FORWARNED! Do NOT brush hard and BEND PINS like I did! the plug fits on very tightly and is a cam type locking set up. If pins are miss aligned it will smash or break pins! I noticed I bent some and painstakingly straitened them all before assembling plug and pushing cam lock.

Tow Away light is off, hopefully lights from the aliens will stop going on and MAYBE my BAS light will stay out too. It did at first but it has always been random. It goes on when cold and off when weather is hot or car is parked in the sun?? My door dome lights still does not time off in the dome mode but all else (glove compartment etc) work fine. Acually I didn't check the trunk light that has been out. Will check and update.

MANY Thanks to everyone for there insights on the many PSE threads etc for helping me figure this stuff out.

·
*Registered
2002 SLK320
28 Posts
UPDATE: My BAS ESP light are still random. The trunk and glove box light DO both work now but...I still have an alien in my car! I do have a jacked up key fob with a loose panic switch floating around. I just ordered a new Crossfire fob so I can rebuild that. Yes I have the long thinner type fob so I am hoping the Crossfire one is correct for my 320. I am not seeing my tow away light blink when locking either. My car battery tests fine is only 4 years old with clean terminals. I am wondering if my alarm horn battery dies? I will research that next.

Side note: it appears to occur in the evening and early morning when we get dew with temperature change. We live in beautiful Ventura California - so temperate, some humidity, 1 mile to Pacific and a moderate diurnal temperature variation in case someone has input on that.

·
37,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My BAS ESP light are still random. The trunk and glove box light DO both work now but...I still have an alien in my car! I do have a jacked up key fob with a loose panic switch floating around. I just ordered a new Crossfire fob so I can rebuild that. Yes I have the long thinner type fob so I am hoping the Crossfire one is correct for my 320. I am not seeing my tow away light blink when locking either. My car battery tests fine is only 4 years old with clean terminals. I am wondering if my alarm horn battery dies? I will research that next.

Side note: it appears to occur in the evening and early morning when we get dew with temperature change. We live in beautiful Ventura California - so temperate, some humidity, 1 mile to Pacific and a moderate diurnal temperature variation in case someone has input on that.

Try a search on BAS ESP issues.
I know speed sensors and such can impact.

The quickest route to an answer is to get the car scanned with merc scanner.
This not only IDs codes but which item specifically is failing.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK230K
26 Posts
I know it's a 4-year-old post but age should not get in the way of learning?
My alarm decided to go off at 3 am, on more than one occasion, so I took my PSE off to inspect it. It was dry but I decided to go deeper and opened it up and it looked good inside, too. I hope it is just the white connector being naughty? I was going to extend the air-lines and mount the PSE upside down but I could not persuade it to fit that way due to the wires being a bit too short and did not want to tug on the harness to see if it would come further out. I put it back together as it was it works for now.
Roger and out
Update: it's been a few weeks since I removed the PSE and put it back after fooling around with it. I am pleased to say that I have had no more issues so draw your own conclusions. I now keep a close check on the boot seal and the two water drain pipes, just in case. I feel that the BUS connector may have been the culprit... a poor connection would cause havoc with the signals being sent and received by the PSE. Or, maybe, just taking the PSE apart and poking around looking for dry joint or some damage fixed the problem? I took a close look at all of the solder joints and poked them with a probe, as I would do with the HiFi amps that I work on. I recall that the BUS connector is bottom-right in my photo?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.