Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've been reading up here for a few days now. I've been wanting an SLK for a bit and i feel like i've found a decent one.

I don't want to start a trend about care buying in the General Discussion forum (i know there is a forum specifically for selling cars)

But i was hoping to start a thread here for the discussion for ME BUYING a car instead. I have a few that i'm looking at.

Here are my requirements:

Black exterior, Automatic Transmission, decent miles (as i feel i will keep it for a while), My biggest concern is quality, I really want to make sure there isn't any mechanical problems that could cost me down the road. (obv willing to pay a little more for the security)

I also plan to stealth it out (black out everything look), so if anyone can help with any considerations that i should have before buying the car, let me know.

I am located in Texas, but if i find the right car i am not afraid to go the distance to pick it up (I've got a lot of time before school starts)

2005 SLK350 ~10k miles (2 owners )

as mentioned, my most pressing concern is the quality (mainly mechanical aspects) of the car. I have been doing my research here and i've found this thread

2005 SLK problems

how do i make sure if i buy a 2005 car, it's not one of the mentioned oil-problem engines?

Therefore, i feel like i prefer this one even though it's a year older and more miles.

2006 SLK350 ~17k miles (no remote entry, problem with smarttop's remote operations?)

btw, could someone get me a carfax or vin lookup on this 2006 SLK350 that i'm looking at? (WDBWK56F36F124104)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,560 Posts
someone will get that vin lookup shortly. look at your other thread and i included an slk buying checklist for you

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
someone will get that vin lookup shortly. look at your other thread and i included an slk buying checklist for you
yeah i definitely saw that (read it a few times to make sure i got it all :)) thanks a lot man, i really feel like this is a great forum.

·
96,560 Posts
we appreciate all our members! good luck!

there are just sooo many threads to read!

·
96,560 Posts
read the smarttop diy by etyu (eddy). you'll go buy one immediately! best mod evah!

oh and here is link for slkstore

slkstore.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
read the smarttop diy by etyu (eddy). you'll go buy one immediately! best mod evah!

oh and here is link for slkstore

slkstore.com
i do'nt know how you do this, must be the US army training, i was LITERALLY about to make a post about this, the 2006 i'm looking at DOES NOT have remote keyless entry, does that make smarttop's remote function un-operable?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
2005 probably falls in the engine serial number range of bad-balancer-shaft-sprocket-means-$5K-repair-bill. Search the forum for this.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
i do'nt know how you do this, must be the US army training, i was LITERALLY about to make a post about this, the 2006 i'm looking at DOES NOT have remote keyless entry, does that make smarttop's remote function un-operable?
If it does NOT have remote keyless entry, it DOES have a problem. All SLKs - R170s & R171s should have it.

·
96,560 Posts
Woolly is always right!

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a guy who sells cars on Ebay and he's always got some SLK's. Interesting because they are always priced right, not inflated like regular car dealers. I think he's called Texas Auto Liquidators or something like that. You might check Ebay out, I saw a lot of cars listed in Texas before I bought my car. I ended up finding one in CA.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a guy who sells cars on Ebay and he's always got some SLK's. Interesting because they are always priced right, not inflated like regular car dealers. I think he's called Texas Auto Liquidators or something like that. You might check Ebay out, I saw a lot of cars listed in Texas before I bought my car. I ended up finding one in CA.
thanks man, i looked it up, no SLKs in Stock, it would have been nice if they did have one in stock, because that place is literally 20 mins drive from my house :(

but i want a specific black/black car so i can stealth it out, i think the stealthed out SLK looks SOO sick... (i know my immaturity is coming through :p)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did look on Ebay motors,

I saw some similar ones but i don't think any would be a better buy than the 2006 SLK350 listed above,

I'm just gonna keep looking an check out this SLK 350 when i head down to houston next/this week.

on side note, i tried to bid a 2007 SLK55AMG for 27k :laugh:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One last question (for today):

i am thinking of having a mechanic check out the car before I buy it, will the local MB dealer do? or is there a better alternative?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
One last question (for today):

i am thinking of having a mechanic check out the car before I buy it, will the local MB dealer do? or is there a better alternative?
Check with DaytonaJae on who he used for the pre-purchase inspection.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Any MB dealer will check the car over for you - happy to take your money. That doesn't guarantee anything though. If you want a warranty then stick to the CPO program; but that's no guarantee of being problem free either.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,285 Posts
3120, have you checked out the Mb link i posted? i be shure if you don,t mind and travel for the right Slk from a Dealer you get a piece of mind at the right price. The last time i checked cars.com and the Mb link there are plenty of good Slks in Tx.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.