Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for the 4 Disc Brake Rotor Set Screws, I noticed that 2 are right-hand threaded, and 2 are left-hand threaded. Can someone tell me which side of the car takes the right-hand threaded screws, and which the left-hand threaded screws.

Thanks!

Bart

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,201 Posts
hope this helps

cars utilize left-handed threads on their left-hand wheels, which, unlike the wheels on the right, rotate anti-clockwise.

so unless i say it wrong

use left handed threads on driver's side and right handed threads on passenger side

but i have never seen those on our slks
mine has bolts anyway and not bolts/nuts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll have to try to find the listing again, but it was a search for brake parts specifically for a 2005 M-B SLK55 AMG, and up popped “4 Disc Brake Rotor Set Screws,” ”Torx” countersunk left-hand thread Brake Rotor Screws with blue threadlocker. It was the first time I’d ever seen such a listing, and I couldn’t see the sense of it, considering that the offset plane of rotation of the set screw in place would put enough centrifugal or centripetal force that thread orientation would make any difference, but you guys know far more than I do.

Bart

Thanks, jbanks — now I know which way to hammer the knock-ons of the pile of MGB wire wheels I have in my midden!

hope this helps

cars utilize left-handed threads on their left-hand wheels, which, unlike the wheels on the right, rotate anti-clockwise.

so unless i say it wrong

use left handed threads on driver's side and right handed threads on passenger side

but i have never seen those on our slks
mine has bolts anyway and not bolts/nuts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, of course I can’t find the listing now; if it pops up again I’ll post it, but if you guys never heard of it, I probably misread it. Sorry.

I’ll have to try to find the listing again, but it was a search for brake parts specifically for a 2005 M-B SLK55 AMG, and up popped “4 Disc Brake Rotor Set Screws,” ”Torx” countersunk left-hand thread Brake Rotor Screws with blue threadlocker. It was the first time I’d ever seen such a listing, and I couldn’t see the sense of it, considering that the offset plane of rotation of the set screw in place would NOT [edit — BB] put enough centrifugal or centripetal force that thread orientation would make any difference, but you guys know far more than I do.

Bart

Thanks, jbanks — now I know which way to hammer the knock-ons of the pile of MGB wire wheels I have in my midden!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts