Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week or so, I've had trouble starting the car. Each time, instead of crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, crank, like a dying battery that can't spark enough to start, it just did crank and that was it. Just one anemic try.

But if I held that button in and tried 3 or 4 times, then it would start.

Does this sound like a dying battery or something with the starter or something else?

Unfortunately, the shop won't be able to get me in there until Jan 3 so by then the battery may really be dead. In the mean time, I don't want to drive someplace because I'm afraid to get stuck.

Does this sound like anything different than just a dying battery?

p.s. I tried both my fob which recently had its battery replaced and my wife's, but they worked the same way.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,402 Posts
Cold in NY, age of battery would be high on my suspicion list.

Even fully charged, if any cells are duff, it won't play nicely.

Seeing as it is the holidays, do you have a neighbour with an identical battery that you could try?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that cold this year. I think the first time there was a problem it was about 50 f.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,471 Posts
You have two choices, battery or starter. I would put a voltmeter on the battery when it starts and see how far down it drops as you start. If it drops below about 8 V, it is probably the battery.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
13 Posts
Hi

Is it a push button start? If so just pull the button out and it will start with the key. I have the same issue with mine, had it back into the dealer who replaced batteries and the button which seemed to work for a couple of months but then the problem came back. It seems to happen mainly when to car is left for a day or two. If you start the car with the key, run it for a couple of hours then replace the button, the push button start seems to start working again. Might pop mine back to the dealers for a couple of days to see whether they can have another go at fixing it.

·
Registered 2017 SLC300
2 Posts
I have been experiencing the same issue. The starter battery tests fine (over 50 months of life left), the keyfob battery is fresh, but on very cold (<-10C) starts, the push button start will provide about one crank, then nothing. I need to repeat the cycle of pushing the starter multiple time, or use the key.

No problem starting with the key.

I‘m suspicious that a sensor doesn't like being cold, either the key sensor, or a sensor that tells the MCU that the engine is running.

if anyone has gotten a fix for this, please let me know.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
13 Posts
Hi

Had mine in today to have them look at this. They've experienced the fault but apparently it's not storing any fault codes. Rebooked in a couple of weeks for a few days and they'll consult with Mercedes Technical.

I'll report back if it ever gets fixed.

Wardy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts