Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was Designo who posted a DIY on changing differntial fluid. I'll be darned if I can find it now. It was a great post. Anybody help me find it?

·
Registered
843 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
If you can find one of these from the ponton days, they really are nice.

Len

Mercedes-Benz Ponton Tool Kits © www.mbzponton.org
Original style 14 mm hex (Allen) wrench:
The original Mercedes-Benz Ponton 14 mm hex (Allen) wrench (120 581 06 65) is used for the following drain plugs:​

• differential (both drain and filler plugs)
  • gas tank
  • oil pan
  • transmission (both drain and filler plugs)

Attachments

·
Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can find one of these from the ponton days, they really are nice.

Len

Mercedes-Benz Ponton Tool Kits © www.mbzponton.org

Original style 14 mm hex (Allen) wrench:

The original Mercedes-Benz Ponton 14 mm hex (Allen) wrench (120 581 06 65) is used for the following drain plugs:​

• differential (both drain and filler plugs)
  • gas tank
  • oil pan
  • transmission (both drain and filler plugs)
Now THOSE are cool!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would using Castrol C Hypoid 80w-90 be okay for use on the diff? It is also GL-5 rated gear oil however I don't think it is synthetic.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just did this today. Whole process took about an hour. I had to raise the back of the car a little because I couldn't get enough clearance to swing the rachet to break the plugs free.

Like the pdf author says; Make sure you use a hammer to make sure you've got the hex bit well seated into the plug. They seem pretty easy to strip

I had to order a 14mm hex...cost me $15, and a lot of screwing around, but at least I have it now.

I used a 75W90 full synthetic gear oil.

I didn't have a fluid pump...So I stuck a piece of rubber fuel line on the end of the bottle (similar bottle to the one pictured above) and fastened it there with a hose clamp. Worked like a charm, there is a good space just in front of the diff you can use to position the bottle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.