Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all ,
i have a 250 cdi and want to swap over the tail pipes and diffuser for a 55 style look .
from what i gather the last exhaust boxes just behind the bumper/fender are just empty chambers ??? i have been told that by removing these last boxes and using straight thru pipes it will only make it slightly louder and a little deeper and have no other effect ?? that would be great if so but i am concerned if that's the truth ,,ie do the last boxes provide any other function as in back pressure for the engine ,cats ? emissions etc etc ..

there is not a aftermarket exhaust for the diesel i can find so my options are limited a bit as in having my own chopped ...

while searching for exhausts for a diesel slk i came across some for sale on ebay ,,
both for the same year car ,same diesel 250cdi engine ,, but 1 has a box before the Y split and the other dont .. see pics in links... even though both are advertised as coming off a 250cdi with AMG sports package i suspect 1 did and the other may of come off a standard 250cdi ??????????

any help would be great ..............

MERCEDES SLK EXHAUST FROM 2013 W172 SLK 250 CDI AMG MODEL - A 172 491 08 01 | eBay

MERCEDES SLK EXHAUST FROM 2013 W172 SLK 250 CDI AMG MODEL - A 172 491 36 01 | eBay

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I think you can just swap over the end trims (tips) for the AMG SLK55 ones and you have the look you want. But they're very expensive new from Mercedes.

The exhaust itself makes almost no difference to the noise the car makes. You can take the whole exhaust off after the turbo and the car won't be much louder. Diesels are inherently very quiet which is why they are great cruisers. Do a search for the Audi Le Mans TDi cars on YouTube and you'll be shocked how quiet they are compared to the petrol cars around them.

I've had several custom exhausts made for TDi cars by Pipewerx in Ormskirk and they always just swap the back boxes for either straight pipes or "cherry bomb" through silencers. If you're in the Northwest I heartily recommend them. It should be £400-ish for a cat-back system, fabricated in stainless steel, on the car.

Although the ad claims both cars were 2013 I suspect one was a MY2012 and one was a MY2013 and it's quite possible Mercedes added or deleted a central box for some reason or other.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
If you look on the boxes themselves you note that one was made in April 2012 and one was made in August 2011 so I'd say the April 2012 part with the central silencer is the one off the MY2013 car.

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks wja96 .
i feel a bit more confident now that i wont end up with a car that sounds like a dump truck lol .
i am in Birmingham and have been quoted £425 by torque flow part of MSL i believe to replace the back boxes with straight thru pipes with stamped "amg" tips and to add caps to the old back boxes so i can refit them again if i need to ..

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
That sounds like a very reasonable price. I'm surprised about the exhaust tips having AMG stamped on them. At that price I'd be tempted myself if they look the part.

As for the noise - have you seen/heard the Maxhaust kit for the SLK?

Komplett-Set Active Sound Mercedes SLK R172 inkl. Soundbooster - SLK R172 - SLK - MB

I have asked them some questions but not had a response yet. I'm particularly interested in whether you need to drill a hole in the boot floor or if the speaker vibrates the boot floor to give the burble.

On my A6 (same system) the speaker is outside in the wheel arch and it's quite loud enough but there is one on each side so I think you might need the full €1600 double speaker system to get the noise like a '55.

From the pictures it may be they are using the holes already there (blocked by the blanking grommets in the pictures) to get the sound outside the car.

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
" maxhaust" thats just crazy lol ,, i never knew such a thing existed .. i like but the price is a bit ott

i have booked the car in for Saturday week for the amg tips and straight thru pipes ,they are going to fit the 55 diffuser i have .. fast running out of mods i can have .
i was thinking about getting some tuning work done but there is still 11months warranty on the car and i dont want to lose that just in case ...maybe some lowering springs and black 10 spoke alloys ???/

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I'd be very grateful if you'd post up some photographs when it's done. As I say, I'm keen to get that look myself.

I'm very close to pushing the button on the Maxhaust but the fact they haven't replied to my e-mails bothers me.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
That looks pretty darn nice. Does it sound any different?

And I like the badging. When I saw the first picture I thought "the sad bar-steward has badged it SLK55" but I think SLK25 is a very clever take on the AMG badging.

I like it. Sadly I think I'm going to have one the same ;)

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has a slight burbles on tick over and that's about as loud as it gets lol ... The 25 has caused a few smiles and second looks . All in a bit of fun and I like it ...

·
Registered--SLK is no more
352 Posts
HAHAHAHA the badging is GENIUS!!!!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
I. Can only add 1 pic at a time ????
If you're attaching pics from an iPhone (or iPad), then it will only allow you to attach 1 pic to a post, as iOS uses the same default filename each time you try to upload another pic.

If you want multiple, then either attach them from a computer (Mac or Windows should work fine), or upload them to some other hosting service and link to them from their (I use Photobucket)... basically, you would upload to the hosting service, and then use the 'Insert image' icon above the text entry field to link to each pic. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks Great

I really like this look, could you give details of the rear diffuser and also a contact name at the exhaust company that did the work please.

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really like this look, could you give details of the rear diffuser and also a contact name at the exhaust company that did the work please.
hi ,
the diffuser is a genuine mercedes slk55amg part , only £70ish from the main dealers ,
and the exhaust was done by torque flow exhausts (part of MSL) .
ibby is the chap to speak to and the number is 07814650322 or 0121 771 4000. the work they done is fantastic and i fully recommend them ......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.