Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So on Friday the 27th of Jan I put a deposit down on the 2001 SLK 230 I mentioned in my new members post, around 82,000 miles on it. Delivery will hopefully take place on Friday 3rd Feb. They have a few issues to iron out before I take it;

The mechanical inspection threw up nothing major, (my biggest fear) rust on the underside/chassis was practically non-existent only the little bits of surface rust on the exterior. The seller is going to fix this for me free of charge.

Bar some very small amounts of rust the the body work, there was a strut missing on the back-end which they're replacing for me, also AC is currently not working as it should be which they will hopefully fix for me, the front brake discs needed replacing (well didn't 'need it' but the seller has agreed to do it at cost for me and pads all the way round too).

The only issues which came up in the mechanical which I did not address with the seller was the drivers side door lock; It unlocks on the central locking (car remote) but does not lock, really hoping this is a cheap fix, otherwise I will have to use a key for the short term, given the age of the car it's no hardship really.

This magnificent automobile is an investment for me. I'm looking to keep her for at the very minimum 5 years. I don't do a lot of miles in general and I'm certainly not looking to go touring anytime soon. Need to learn to drive it first :)

I will get it serviced first time through an outfit I've done business with before as long as they confirm all the work etc I may go back to the place I am buying from.

I know some people will say 'search is your friend', but yea I thought I'd ask anyway; (given the fact I was only given proper instruction on how to use the 'search' properly after 3/4 people had said it on my introduction post... :()

The current owner has the best tires on the font end... Anyone ever encountered this before? Is there any advantage to having higher end tyres/tires on the front end of the car?

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the awesome posts before me (all of them) I will go search now.

RLander.

NB: I will be posting pics as soon as it is in my possession, I'm lucky enough to have a few spots locally which will be epic!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,182 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,685 Posts
Congratulations.

Couple of reminders.

The roof goes down summer, winter and night time.

R170 diy link in my signature below.

Enter RoTM after 1st February.
A great way to share your pics (3 limit) and maybe win a prize.

We loved our 230. Great fun and smile maker. :tu:

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
11,276 Posts
:rockon: Congrats !!!!!! :Banane35:

Reactions: RLander

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,063 Posts
There was no shockabsorber on the rear of car ??
As in totally missing ?
Or broken off ?

Or do you mean boot lid strut ?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,194 Posts
The current owner has the best tires on the font end... Anyone ever encountered this before? Is there any advantage to having higher end tyres/tires on the front end of the car?

RLander.
Seeing as no one has touched this yet IMO:

Assuming they are the same size F & R (not on the '55 is why I say that), I'd guess that either:

1)Previous owner rotates front to back and the "better" ones on the front had recently been replaced as they were worn from being on the rear and the ones on the rear (now) didn't warrant being moved to the front yet (based on mileage, observed wear).

or

2)Just needed to be replaced before the rears.

If you feel better doing it, rotate them both front to back on the same side. The fronts take most of the (normal) braking pressure but the rears take all of the "starting" stress. Your choice.

Unless you're talking about Michelins vs "walmart specials" ("best" can be interpreted differently by different people) then the above might apply.

·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations.

Couple of reminders.

The roof goes down summer, winter and night time.

R170 diy link in my signature below.

Enter RoTM after 1st February.
A great way to share your pics (3 limit) and maybe win a prize.

We loved our 230. Great fun and smile maker. :tu:
wow that DIY link is amazing, thank you!

In regards to the roof...uhm???

Store it with the roof down during winter & night-time?

And mine won't be ready to win ROTM yet :D She needs a lot of work I will of course uploads pics as soon as she's in my possession though.

·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seeing as no one has touched this yet IMO:

Assuming they are the same size F & R (not on the '55 is why I say that), I'd guess that either:

1)Previous owner rotates front to back and the "better" ones on the front had recently been replaced as they were worn from being on the rear and the ones on the rear (now) didn't warrant being moved to the front yet (based on mileage, observed wear).

or

2)Just needed to be replaced before the rears.

If you feel better doing it, rotate them both front to back on the same side. The fronts take most of the (normal) braking pressure but the rears take all of the "starting" stress. Your choice.

Unless you're talking about Michelins vs "walmart specials" ("best" can be interpreted differently by different people) then the above might apply.

I think actually they're just cheaper tires on the back and it could be that the current owner just replaced old one with the cheaper version as he's selling it.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,190 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride! Sounds a challenge, but so worth it when it comes good.

Do check your tyres carefully - on Silkie I have wider tyres on the back than I do on the front (assuming your car has standard 16" wheels) so swapping them round may not be an option. Silkie has:
205/55 R16 on the front
225/50 R16 on the rear

Also - and this is a good thing - your next service could well be a Service B, which is a lot more comprehensive than a Service A. As you intend keeping it, this is good, as a lot of the consumables will need changing (mine needed air, cabin, oil and fuel filters, spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, oil) and a lot of the car is checked over thoroughly, so you should get a clean bill of health to your requirements at the start of your ownership. I don't know what the rates are like in Ireland but in England a Service B at a dealer is around £800 (or £4-600 at an independent). Much of the work you can do yourself, if you're willing. It's up to you. Also, if it's not been done, have the oil and filter changed in the transmission. That's well worth while too.

Let's hope this is the start of a wonderful journey for you. Congratulations again.

Savcom

Reactions: RLander

·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Store? No, Sir!

SLK is a year round car.

Built for driving.
So if I park the car overnight, I don't need to put the top down? Sorry man I just don't want to make some rookie mistakes that could end up damaging the car.

I fully intend to use the convertible as much as possible without giving myself hypothermia in the process, well not past stage 1 anyway :)

Going to order the paint at the weekend and start making prep for refurb.....I'm not sure it's worth removing the entire central console to repaint? Seems like a lots of work and I'm thinking if I just whip the seats out and I get at it adequately?

Also took a good look at the tips on lubing seals etc, lots of useful stuff.

Thanks again,

RLander

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi RLander,

CONGRATULATIONS:smile:

I too bought a 2001 230 and really love it ... mind you mine is what is politely called a Project :wink:

I've done all of the work myself so far including the interior, why not watch this video

Best of luck and - enjoy:grin:

·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi RLander,

CONGRATULATIONS:smile:

I too bought a 2001 230 and really love it ... mind you mine is what is politely called a Project :wink:

I've done all of the work myself so far including the interior, why not watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFWtxZK21zw

Best of luck and - enjoy:grin:
Thanks for video man, I thought it was one I had seen before but nope!! Literally such a wealth of information/tutorials here about these cars, it's a wonder professionals get any work at all on these magnificent specimens!

The interior of this one is defo a project, I look forwards to sharing pictures with you all. I'm planning on going over the interior with possibly steel wool because in some places it looks like someone had a go at it and mucked it up, like I said, I'll share pics before, during after maybe even a video or two.

I was thinking of going with the spray can, but most I've seen seem to be going with the liquid.... and I can see how the spray could be more complicated in terms of clean and concise application. I don;t have sound because i'm at work, any experience of applying their clear coat for finishing?

This is gonna be fun!

Cheers

RLander

NB: I'll take a look at starting a new thread or maybe adding to an old one with the before after during posts of the refurb of the interior. Might be helpful to someone along the way in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.