Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zetros’ 2733 Mercedes 6×6 provides luxury in any environment … even a zombie apocalypse

The engine alone is a torque monster of a 7.2-liter diesel inline six-cylinder. It pumps out 326 horsepower and a thumping 959 pound-feet of torque. Frankly, with that much torque, the Zetros should come with a warning sticker not to make full-throttle runs too often, as you might cause earthquakes on the other side of the globe.

You can either send that tectonic level of torque through a sturdy Allison-sourced six-speed automatic or a hydraulically shifted nine-speed. The nine-speed uses eight forward gears and a gear for crawling. All three differentials can – of course – be mechanically locked.

Now here is where the really cool part comes in. Two Mongolian businessmen hired Mercedes to build two copies of these brilliant trucks with a whole host of extra features.

These one-off versions include an RV like living space styled in a very luxurious fashion. This means two flat screen TVs, heated marble floors, Bose sound system, shower, and everything but the kitchen sink in order to survive whatever life throws your way. Oh, and it’ll be a life of pure extravagance, if you couldn’t tell.

Everything in the RV section is powered by a diesel generator or by battery. If those fail, the Zetros can use solar panels installed on the roof. If that isn’t enough, the owners can even bring an ATV inside of the cargo space as well.

Although the businessmen claim to be using it for “fox hunting” in the deserts and forests of Mongolia, it sounds to me like they are actually testing it out for the end of the world. I might just have to request one myself, just in case the Zombies really do come.

What would you fit your custom, end-of-the-world 6×6 with? Consider going over to our Home section to see what extra toys you could stock up on.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,891 Posts
Needs a g u n turret or two!

Reactions: Seanhump

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Needs a g u n turret or two!
Exactly! Something like the OTO Melara/IMI 60mm hypervelocity gun with a couple of hundred rounds would be nice to have, along with that good ol' standby M2 .50cal Browning. It needs a comprehensive suite of thermal imagers, laser rangefinders, the IDF's new antimissile system, and a box launcher for a pair of Stingers to keep aircraft at bay.

Pretty sure that with all the luxury goodies that there isn't nearly enough armor fitted, though...:)

·
14,891 Posts
We're talking the zombie apocalypse not WWIII!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
We're talking the zombie apocalypse not WWIII!:biglaugh:
Wouldn't the two scenarios be about the same?:rb I must admit that the zombies would generally be slower and easier to engage. What with being mostly dead and all... Anyway, the 60mm cannon might not be the correct choice for anti-zombie use. It has a good HE round, but zombies do tend to swarm in their thousands to tens of thousands. Engaging that threat places a premium on firepower. So, one center turret with four M2 Brownings, like the WW2 M16 halftrack. Make it armored all around for gunner protection, and ensure that each gun can be reloaded under armor. On each corner of the rig, a remotely operated M134 7.62mm Minigun gatling. All this will make the roof solar option less effective, but that's the price of survival. Oh, and it will need a pretty big trailer to carry extra ammunition. All those automatic weapons burn through it pretty fast.

Which brings up some other design criteria: Spent shell casing chutes have to be fitted to keep it from piling up inside the rig, though that might mar the loveliness of the interior. And a couple of serious blowers to clear the propellant fumes. The bathroom fan ain't gonna cut it when you start putting the hurt downrange.

·
14,891 Posts
:biglaugh:OMG who ARE you?:biglaugh: Ahhh, ex military, no wonder the wild imagination!:usa:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
:biglaugh:OMG who ARE you?:biglaugh: Ahhh, ex military, no wonder the wild imagination!:usa:
Almost. I've been a military history geek all my life. I was Army ROTC back in college before I got massively distracted by a girl. She's still around (29 years married end of this month); never got the officer's commission but did get a BS in History. Worked out for the best for both myself and the country, I think; I'm a better scholar than soldier. So I retain the keen interest in military hardware and operations, which feeds into my scale modeling hobby. And when somebody throws pitches to me about something like a zombie apocalypse and a Mercedes uber-RV, I can't help but try to knock 'em out of the park and let the imagination spin out of control. If I succeed, everyone's amused. If I don't, they think I don't belong in polite society!:biglaugh:

·
14,891 Posts
You definitely succeeded! :tu:

·
Registered
350 Posts
you don't need all those gnus!!! just doink those zombies with a shovel. cheaper, less working parts to go wrong, and a bonus , it keeps you fit. just don't over-do it to start with. just doink a few a day untill you have built up your stamina.
:Beer:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Outstanding Jeff. I think Daniel would defnitely be jealous of that ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts