Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been SOOOO busy, but thought I'd pop in and say hi.

I did a little work on the SLK. The previous owner took it to her mechanic before the sale for an inspection and he had some recommended work. Thought I'd have at it and get it up to snuff. Found a good deal of info on here to help me.

Oil and filter change went well. I did pull the bottom cover and drain it conventionally just because I have access to a lift but not a pump. Was pretty easy, and the Wix filter set I got came with a new o-ring and copper washer for the plug. Easy-peasy.

Air filter was very straightforward as well. Nothing to it.

Fuel filter wasn't hard, but more trouble than I anticipated. Quite a bit of fuel came out when I undid the lines. I didn't find a good solution other than loosening everything up and changing it quickly. Really only one line that dumped a *lot* of fuel, so I undid the other three and then pulled that one and did the quick change-a-roo. Still, lost, oh, probably a cup and a half of gas. Seemed like a lot to me for a fuel filter change. But not a huge problem. Caught most of it in a clean pan and just dumped it back in the tank when I was done. What I didn't catch evaporated quickly. But it did catch me a bit off guard.

Finally, my wife and I got out the manual and figured out how to reset the service mileage counter, so all done and legit. Receipts in a folder with date and mileage noted. Nothing too hard. Actually, pretty nice car to work on. I was taking my time with it, but all told, maybe two hours work. Not too bad. And I figured I saved a few hundred bucks compared to doing it at the dealer. Car sure is in nice shape and I hope to keep it that way.

So, question- how many miles do you figure a well maintained SLK is good for? Everywhere I looked it was evident that this was a really well made car. Everything looked over-engineered. Really neat to look under it. I won't knock any other brands, but compared to some other cars, it was amazing to see the condition of things like the exhaust and suspension bushings at 77,000 miles.

Also, how often do you change shocks on these? The ones on the car look to be original. The fuel filter was certainly original, but that seems reasonable given the mileage.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,444 Posts
Thanks Ed! moving this to the r170 general discussion section.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.