Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
1998 SLK 230.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1998 SLK 230. The little car runs great, But has some issues. No engine light on. My local Mercedes dealer charges $125.00 just to run a diagnostic. I think I could purchase a code reader for a little more and pull the codes myself. Seems to be a lot of folks on here that could assist me in identifying codes in case I couldn't figure it out myself. Looking for recommendations on which code reader to purchase for this particular vehicle. Like to have quality, But I don't have deep pockets. Must be capable of scanning transmission codes. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
390 Posts
@Littleperk, you are probably on a steep learning curve. I'm still on it.
Here we go:
Once upon a time Mercedes had Light Blink testers. You'll find them on YouTube. Then came Hands Held Testers HHT. After that came Windows based testers SDS, which fortunately could also pretend they were HHT's.
The early r170 had a 38 pin diagnostic port sitting near the battery. Yours quite possibly has this. These look for HHT. Later ones had the more normal OBDII port under the steering wheel. If you can afford it get SDS as already suggested.
If you can't afford it, there are alternatives which may be adequate for your needs. Others will advise. It is important to note that as far as I know, a simple 38 pin to OBD adaptor will do very little indeed. What you would need for these alternatives is their own multiplexers which may be sold separately at extra cost.
Hope that helps and that it more or less makes sense.
My car has the 38 pin and for the record, I've got SDS and a Foxwell scanner with multiplexer. I've only ever had one significant issue and both popped up the same code.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
390 Posts
This is worth a read, primarily because it highlights how inadequate most scanners are.
www.mercedesmedic.com/best-obd-2-can-scanners-for-car-diagnostics/

The only one worth having is probably the most expensive one. The list is also not comprehensive. For example it doesn't cover the Foxwell that I have, nor does it cover SDS. And SDS comes in a lot cheaper. This is the sort of kit I'm talking about.

I paid a lot less for mine but I bought it from a private seller. Mine is also an earlier version, a C3 which is more than adequate for an early r170. This is essentially my set up

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
19 Posts
Kcan is still selling Star SDS C3 (these are chinese clones of the system the dealers use) for cheap at aliexpress, $183.30 for C3 plus cables (free DHL which is helpful). ECU KCAN CO LIMITED - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress .
Its a lower quality unit, but mine has been working for 5 months now. You could get a Dell D630 off ebay for $35 with shipping with some haggeling on best offers. You can get the software from any helpful member (like me) for free. The most annoying aspect is that the DAS software comes in at around 200 GB, and most of D630 have 160 GB drives in them. So either get a used 256 GB HDD off ebay for a few bucks, or pay $20ish to get a 256 GB SSD. Keep in mind the SSD you get are slightly thinner than a HD, so put some cardboard/paper on the bottom of it to fit in the caddy properly.

So the whole system can be put together for slightly over $200 with some patience.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
3,839 Posts
I do believe that a lot of latest s/w, and perhaps any Mux after C4 SD Connect (i.e C5 and forwards) does not support HHT -WIN program, which is definitely required for many modules on the R170 ;)

Speak with @i860 on here ;)

Anything that costs less than £2000 will not access all modules nor all codes, and certainly doesn't do all the other functions you will need, which the £200 - £500 SDS will do, SDS with HHT-Win is the only machine to buy, it will pay for itself in very short order, and if you are canny, and move away from MB Cars, you can likely sell a fully working system for more than you paid for it ;)

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,057 Posts
@
stevio99

I will not touch the software from china, just had one of your our [moderator edit per post 12, 13 &14] members who bought a full system and the HDD/SSD was corrupted.
Also, I will not buy a c3 or c5, only an sd connect c4. With this, you can install the full main dealer system on any laptop, newer the better i3/i5/i7 processors.
Send me a private message for more info.

·
3,839 Posts
I can thoroughly recommend @i860 and his Software is faultless ;)

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,382 Posts
Also, I will not buy a c3 or c5, only an sd connect c4. With this, you can install the full main dealer system on any laptop, newer the better i3/i5/i7 processors.
Now that's interesting as I find that the Dell 630 to be very dated slow old tech

Thanks for that snippet of info @i860 (y)

·
3,839 Posts
Here's a tip for your D630, hopefully its 2Ghz plus processor, if so update the bios to latest they did from Dell site, then stuff in two times 4Gb RAM that wakes them up a bit ;)

BTW if you do upgrade RAM etc you will likely need the Key Gens in SDS re doing ;)

Note that only works on D630 and D830's, not D620 and D820, because the 630 and 830 have a different South Bridge so they can actually make use of the 8Gb RAM, also might not work with 32 bit Windows, which of course is needed for HHT, unless @i860 has gotten round that now, cos HHT never used to work on 64 bit Windows .....................

I know my MB Dells that have HHT only see 3Gb of the 4Gb RAM installed, think that's cos 32 bit :poop: 's it's panties when it sees 4Gb, so I keep my 630's and 830's that can handle 8Gb for 64 bit installs ;)

I'll shut up and bog off now lol ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
19 Posts
@
stevio99

I will not touch the software from china, just had one of your members who bought a full system and the HDD/SSD was corrupted.
Send me a private message for more info.
I860:

Please note I don't sell anything. Here or on ebay (or anywhere else). You do, though. It's up to the individual to decide if its worth it, For things like SCN coding on newer cars, I may be consulting you myself. But on older cars just for CEL diagnosis, one has to weigh how much its worth. Really depends on people's experience with computers, and how much they value their time.

If people need Xentry/DAS I'll (and others too) give it away, Basically, because it was frustrating when I did it my self. I could be faulted for recommending Kcan, but once again I'm just putting people in the place I was several months ago, where I weighed the dealer $125 scanning cost with something I could do myself for reasonable price. Can anyone really recommend a China C3 or C4? They all stink, its more a matter of who stinks more. All C3 and C4 come from China, unless the real thing, which is prohibitivly expensive.

I really don't know what you mean by "one of your members". I have no members. Obviously people shouldn't be buying any software for HDD from China folks. The guy who gave me his disk image uses it in his shop.

Of course your right about C4 being better than a C3. But its markedly more expensive, too. Once again an individual judgement.

'

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,272 Posts
I860:

Please note I don't sell anything. Here or on ebay (or anywhere else). You do, though. '
Typo...
"Our member", nothing to do with you.
It was just a recommendation, not a critic, you can but what you like.
Modified post 8 to correct typo (y)

·
3,839 Posts
But on older cars just for CEL diagnosis, one has to weigh how much its worth. Really depends on people's experience with computers, and how much they value their time.

If people need Xentry/DAS I'll (and others too) give it away, Basically, because it was frustrating when I did it my self. I could be faulted for recommending Kcan, but once again I'm just putting people in the place I was several months ago, where I weighed the dealer $125 scanning cost with something I could do myself for reasonable price. Can anyone really recommend a China C3 or C4? They all stink, its more a matter of who stinks more. All C3 and C4 come from China, unless the real thing, which is prohibitivly expensive.

I really don't know what you mean by "one of your members". I have no members. Obviously people shouldn't be buying any software for HDD from China folks. The guy who gave me his disk image uses it in his shop.

Of course your right about C4 being better than a C3. But its markedly more expensive, too. Once again an individual judgement.
This post is IMHO, and in no way intended to be confrontational, it is intended to clarify.

If I wished to I could pick holes in everything line of the above quote :cry:

I don't sell Diagnostic Equipment, nor do I have affiliations with anyone who does :)

I do however run a busy Indie Workshop and have many Dealer Level Kits for most popular Marques on the UK roads, including 4 different versions of SDS s/w and decent C3 and C4 SD Connect Multiplexer / Lead sets ;)

This post highlights to the experienced guys like myself that you are obviously fairly new to SDS and therefore don't know a lot about it !!

Just an example ...............

Even the humble 1997 Pre Facelift SLK requires much Version Coding and Guided Testing to avoid having issues when working on it and avoid just chucking expensive parts at it based upon a guess from a handful of fault codes from another machine .
NO OTHER MACHINE under £2000.00 WILL DO THIS !!
Many machines well over that figure will not do everything SDS does.

SDS is way more than just a Code Reader / Re-setter, SDS is not even in the same ballpark as anything that doesn't cost well north of 4 x the price of the clone SDS.
The decent C4 SD Connects are now cheaper than the decent C3's, and the C4 SD Connect is not reliant on an old and slow Serial Port Laptop, as it works with a LAN Connection and WiFi

My opinion and my advice to membership reading this, and thinking about getting SDS is to ignore most of your fatally flawed information, a little knowledge is dangerous !! :(

I build my own systems and constantly update them being a professional workshop owner.

I do not do my own Software for MB and BMW vehicles it is just way above my s/w knowledge.
So I use 3rd parties. over my years of buying and using this Software @i860 has proved to me that he is one of 2 guys who are the very best in that field.

Anyone who provides a decent service with great after sales back up is entitled to charge for it.
Software that is fettled and developed, and not full of bugs, malware etc etc comes at a price.

If members want advice on what to buy, both myself and @i860 will freely give that advice.

I sincerely hope this clarifies the situation for those thinking of purchasing a machine to use on their SLK's etc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts