Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2007 slk 280. I just had the check engin light come on. Not sure what the cause might be, I would like to get the right diagnostic tool to be able to read what code it is. I saw some units on eBay but not sure which would better suit my needs. Any help would be much appreciated thanks in a advance ?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Hi I have the I carsoft i910 and also coincidentally the same car. This version is mercedes specific and will read all error codes and also clear them. It also does a whole lot more and is very informative about your own vehicle. Bought it on ebay. Hope that helps.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,236 Posts
Hi I have the I carsoft i910 and also coincidentally the same car. This version is mercedes specific and will read all error codes and also clear them. It also does a whole lot more and is very informative about your own vehicle. Bought it on ebay. Hope that helps.
Sure you mean the i910? Over her that one is specific for BMW, the i980 is specific for Mercedes.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Sorry away from home at the moment but will post tomorrow if no one else does. It's very powerful for what it is. I used it to clear all the codes that had been left on my car before I bought it and to identify a cel that threw because of the the thermostat. (Dealer wanted a fortune just to diagnose) I will plug it in tomorrow and list all the features it has.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,162 Posts
I did, but it was hard to tell what it could do. The language was not very specific.

Is it a "read only" tool, or can it also perform active tests/actuations and adaptions?

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,236 Posts
As far as I can see it is a "read only" tool, but more advanced the the ordinary OBD readers. It also reads ECU and TCU error codes.
The EU website of icarsoft iCarsoft i980 is a bit more informative.
In the download section you can download a manual for i910. That's the one for the BMW but gives you a rather good idea of it' capabilities.
Nice piece of kit. Not cheap, 119 euro, but better than the one I have. Wish I'd seen this one before I bought it.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Thanks sneakypete saves me trying to list all of it's capabilities. It has a lot of features I will never use but it has got me out of hole a couple of times. It will not only read a fault code but identify the cause. I would certainly recommend it as long as no one thinks it's designed as an alternative to Das/Star.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've just bought the i980, I had the SRS error appear and a message telling me to go immediately
to the nearest Mercedes garage and hand over £45 to have the error message removed.
I was pretty sure that the error had arisen due to a bad connection, so I decided to spend £80
and clear the code myself, "result"
Now I've got the scanner I can investigate future issues and learn more about the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Errmm....
There might be reason for it when the error returns. Problem with the airbag(s)?
It might not go off when you need it most.......

Verstuurd van mijn GT-S7500 met Tapatalk
I get your drift Pete, I would be investigating further if I were to get the same fault twice,
I'm totally new to tracking down faults this way but I'm quite interested in learning how to
use the i980 to its full potential.
Start of rant :- (clears throat) I really, really, really, don't like being ripped off by garages.
So 'effing often do they book your car in, tell you they'll ring when it's ready then four hours or so later ask you to pick it up saying it's just cost ££££ to replace the foo foo valve, when in fact it took them five' effing minutes to reset the fault. Well not any more !!
End of rant.
>:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.