Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to try and design some parts so that i can build a dual cold air intake similar to the needswings kit, id like to keep it under $200 to build if possible. parts that I will try design and print are the intake Y, the tube connectors that are usually made of silicone, and the ducts in the grill. if anyone would like to help, i could use it lol. Im planning on using a nylon filament that should hold up to 220-230C but im also going to keep researching materials while im designing it. ive never designed anything from scratch, only modified others 3d models, so well see how this goes!

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
19 Posts
Brave new world! I have often eyed the Needs Wings product, but it seems like a lot of money for the modest power gain. If you can come in cheaper, I am very interested.

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m teaching myself to 3d model stuff throughout this project so it may take a while on my own. I know there are some 3d modeling softwares that allow you to test airflow through a part, but it’s a little complex. I’ll update the thread once I finish the very basic 3d design sketch for the Y tubing, I started working on it today. I might have to start out with just a single filter design with a bent tubing that goes over the maf. I’ll update this thread as I figure out designs etc. I know it can be done I’ll link some examples, the only issue is with heat, the filament I want to use can withstand up to 240C but I may need it to hold up to at least 250-260C I’m assuming it gets pretty hot under the hood in air temps over 100F, I’ll have to stick a thermometer in there this summer.

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,782 Posts
(y)

Cool project :)

Get a Dyno reading before, then after, and might also be worth comparing to the proven gain V6 320 W220 Intake / Filter Box mods ;)

Keep us posted ;)

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(y)

Cool project :)

Get a Dyno reading before, then after, and might also be worth comparing to the proven gain V6 320 W220 Intake / Filter Box mods ;)

Keep us posted ;)
That’s a good idea, but I can’t afford much dyno time right now, I’m a student and I already spend too much on my car lol. Best I can do right now is log MAF readings, it should show an increase if it opens it up more. I’ve almost gotten to a point on the bend to the maf where I can print a prototype, and I think I may end up using a flexible material, called PCTPE for the final print

taulman3D PCTPE CoPolymer Filament 1.75mm Black 1lb Amazon.com: taulman3D PCTPE CoPolymer Filament 1.75mm Black 1lb: Industrial & Scientific

·
4,782 Posts
It's far from an idea, it is a basic requirement when Tuning ;)

MAF reading does not indicate more or less engine power, too many variables, at the end of the day the golden rule when modifying any Engine is to establish a base line first and work from that, making one change at a time ;)

I've seen many a modified Engine that has had a whole bunch of Horsepower "Engineered" out of it when actually run on a Dyno ;)

HTH :)

Reactions: M4rCu5

·
* Registered
2009, Mercedes SLK350, R171, auto
60 Posts
If the Needs Wings one is proven to increase power then an exact copy should do the same. But with a single offset bent intake V6 intake airflow direction is critical and technical to design where the bend is influencing flow direction into the throttle body.

·
4,782 Posts
I've discussed this before.

I agree with you re airflow direction into Throttle Body, I've seen many folks overlook that.

Further to that, amongst pro tuners around the world it is a known fact that the "claims" for this and many other performance mods are based on Hood (Bonnet) up testing from a cool engine.
When the Bonnet is closed heat soak takes over and negates any improvement, in fact I'd go so far to say it would actually have a negative effect until one insulated or properly cooled the install.

Just my 10p worth ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5
1 - 8 of 8 Posts