Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quote from another thread says: "...delimited top speed (which is actually now standard on most SLK 55s)"

Anybody know when they started delimiting the SLK55? I own a 2006 model which already has the 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers on the brakes but not the P030 option. Where I live there are few if any places to wring one out to the limit safely and I cannot recall ever going faster than about 125-130ish. However, I have wondered if it is capped at 155 like by previous AMG?

If it is still limited can a MB dealer delimit the car? Short of finding a long straight road how can we tell?

Irish

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts
The 55 is limited by MB with the R171 . I believe the r172 55 is not
You can get an ecu tune through Kleemann and other performance shops
Usually with headers or a Supercharger, it is also done
MB won't do it to my knowledge
Can be done with DAS/STAR so find a member that has it! :D

@Col
@JudgeMing

·
96,615 Posts
If you do get it done, please make sure your tires are speed rated :D

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
The R172 is limited @ 250 kph standard, if you have the P30 AMG package they will set it @ 280 kph. I had it removed but never made it absolute top. Based at the ease it reached 280 and still had rpm enough left I say it'll do 300.

The top speed on the R171 is set with easy to reach parameters in STAR/DAS. Not so on the R172. You'll need direct access to the engine computer without the 'limits' of STAR.

You can forget any proper dealer removing those limits for you. Only indies and other unofficial folks.

OTOH if you drive in the UK or the US, tracks are the only place you MAY reach speeds like that and than only on the long straigh. Is it worth it?

I drive regulary in Germany and have done a few tracks and never had full throttle. There is often too much traffic and even if I'd manage it would propably last a minut or so. I know there is no reasoning with feelings, but at least I tried.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,516 Posts
I have had my car to the limiter a few times. As Roland points out all are limited but with P30 package you get a bit more. I also tend to agree with Roland's comments regarding whether it's worth having the extra top end, after all it is very rare you'll get the opportunity to use it.

·
Registered 2014 SLK55 AMG
96 Posts
My 2014 55 is limited to 155mph as I tested it on a recent trip to the Nurburgring.
I hit the limiter on the final straight before coming in to pit lane and it did it with ease to be fair.
The only down side is that my brakes stank by the time I got into the parking area off track and you could feel the heat of the wheels, brakes ,tyres stood next to it. I also lost a weight off the wheel due to the glue melting on the sticky pad. It was however good fun...!
I then tried it out on the autobahn whilst in convoy with a few other cars and again it sat at 155 mph with what felt like a bit left if limiter was removed. A little bit hairy on them there autobahns though as it was a two lane road with trucks on and other dawdling traffic so care needed to be taken. But again much fun was had in a sensible fashion.
I have thought about removing the limiter if I get some exhaust work and a tune done on my car in the near future as its nice to have in the right place, ie a track or autobahn, no use whatsoever on British roads.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
In the UK a dealer wouldn't take the limiter of your 55, but a decent indie would after checking out your brakes tyres etc.

When I had my 32 worked on at MSL they offered to remove the limiter, but I declined.
It's set at 155 and I'll never do that on UK roads. I don't track her and I'm not going to Germany :grin:

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,319 Posts
My data card says P030 and "Increased speed limit for NAFTA". Doesn't say what that limit is though. Is this any help?

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
FWIW in the US a car must be limited to the maximum speed of the tires fitted. For example a tire with a V rating is limited to 149 mph max and a car supplied with those as OEM must have the speed limiter set to that.

Here "H" tires are common (130 mph).

Personally am not expecting to drive "over the ton" any more so is not really important.

·
96,615 Posts
Mine is zr18 y94 That means at least 149 mph up to 186 mph :D

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
De-limiting the 55

Thanks to all for the input. It is true that opportunities to take one to the limit are few and far between. We have a group who locally organize a variety of motorsports charity events for fun. We sometimes have access to a local air strip runway which is about 6500 ft long. On occasion it has been used to top out a variety of fast cars including a supercharge Vette and Camero. Would be fun to take the SLK out on that but past experience with previous AMG's tell me that hitting 155 happens fast. No point in bouncing it off the limiter.

Irish

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.