Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've read a lot of threads that talk about using the bumper / body repair places for scratches on the bottom side of the bumper. I have some really deep scratches unfortunately. I also have a metallic black paint. No tears or cracks though.

Is there anything I can do myself to make this look better? Is this sort of thing easy to get repaired without spending thousands of dollars?

I've attached some pictures.

Thanks

Bill

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
been there. done that. did it on my 1st day I got the car
I just used touch up paint. mine are down there and nobody can see it and i am the only one that knows (but you now) :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
nope. I laid on my back with my 040 touch up paint and went to town :D

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
and I have the same under one corner of my front bumper too... I've already bought the touch up paint, but still need to do it. My plan was to do exactly as Jeff says he's done. I figured the same - that nobody would see or notice it down there.. :D

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nope. I laid on my back with my 040 touch up paint and went to town :D
and I have the same under one corner of my front bumper too... I've already bought the touch up paint, but still need to do it. My plan was to do exactly as Jeff says he's done. I figured the same - that nobody would see or notice it down there.. :D
Are you guys using the Mercedes brand touch up paint?

I was looking at this company who includes touch up style paint, primer, and clear coat.

https://touchupdirect.com

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
yes, but bought oem on amazon or ebay as it is still a little cheaper than at mb service/parts dept
but for where you are touching up, just get a generic black from advance auto/discount/autozone, etc. cheaper and no one will see it

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I bought genuine OEM Obsidian Black, plus clearcoat - a pack with both from local MB dealer. It wasn't particularly expensive, and I'll then have it for stone chips etc too. However, as Jeff has said, given the location of the scratches the match probably doesn't have to be perfect.

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
5,010 Posts
I have an immaculate bumper but that's only because I just got it repainted a few weeks ago and I've been ultra-super-duper-careful since then. However I'm under no illusion that the scratches won't be back in the not-too-distant future. This is a fact of life for R171s that are regularly driven.

I've used black permanent marker to hide scratches in semi-visible spots on the lower bumper cover. Just as you cannot really easily see the scratches in the first place, it's hard to spot poor repair jobs too in this section of the car :D.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
I also use the OEM touch-up, but I don't use the wretched brushes that are installed on the cap. I use a fine-tip hobby brush moistened with lacquer thinner, which thins the paint and allows longer working time. Clean up the hobby brush with the lacquer thinner after use.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
I've got actual cracks, and it will happen again
However I'm under no illusion that the scratches won't be back in the not-too-distant future. This is a fact of life for R171s that are regularly driven.
As these two have pointed out its "a fact of life that.." it will happen again and again and again... Mine is a wreck under there, but no one has seen it except for me, and I know it will be damaged in the future so I just left it as it is. Don't fret over something that will get damaged again, there are other much more important things to concern yourself with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.