Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered 2008 SLK350
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to go from a much loved SLK350 2008 with standard suspension and parametric steering, to an AMG55 for a while, and have found two lovely low mileage cars in the UK with full MB service history in white (which is our preferred colour due to the sunshine here). The first is an R171 year 2010 with standard suspension, and the other is a 2012 R172 with sports suspension and LSD. Both cars have 18" wheels. My wallet says go for the less expensive 2010 car,which I am told is likely not to depreciate, and some kind advice on here suggested that the R172 rides and handles better. I can't test either, and sadly have not driven one. I just love V8's.....
The roads here are almost empty, but can be VERY bumpy. The 350 rides and handles superbly. Would the 2010 55 feel similar, or would it seem nose heavy please? Is the R172 noticeably better balanced, or having never driven one, should I be happy with the R171? Out of interest, Do both 55's sound similar - I believe the R172 blips the throttle on down changes.... I know that both will be lovely, but any thoughts much appreciated. I used to be decisive....but now I'm not so sure...:rolleyes:

Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
I went from a R171 350 (2005) to a R171 55 AMG (2005). The 350 had sport suspension and 18" rims. The 55 is with standard AMG suspension with 19" rims. The AMG is a lot stiffer.....

When it comes to nose heavy, I would say not a big difference. The 55 handles beautifully and takes turns better, but might need some more turning of the steering wheel. That doesn't bother me at all and can be compensated with the right pedal馃槀

Never regretted going from the 350 to the 55馃榿 馃憣

I have been looking to go from a much loved SLK350 2008 with standard suspension and parametric steering, to an AMG55 for a while, and have found two lovely low mileage cars in the UK with full MB service history in white (which is our preferred colour due to the sunshine here). The first is an R171 year 2010 with standard suspension, and the other is a 2012 R172 with sports suspension and LSD. Both cars have 18" wheels. My wallet says go for the less expensive 2010 car,which I am told is likely not to depreciate, and some kind advice on here suggested that the R172 rides and handles better. I can't test either, and sadly have not driven one. I just love V8's.....
The roads here are almost empty, but can be VERY bumpy. The 350 rides and handles superbly. Would the 2010 55 feel similar, or would it seem nose heavy please? Is the R172 noticeably better balanced, or having never driven one, should I be happy with the R171? Out of interest, Do both 55's sound similar - I believe the R172 blips the throttle on down changes.... I know that both will be lovely, but any thoughts much appreciated. I used to be decisive....but now I'm not so sure...:rolleyes:

Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
I originally owned a 2010 SLK350 with the AMG Sports Package. It was a great car but had firm suspension and the seats on a long journey were not that comfortable. As it happens I test drove a white 2010 SLK55 in April 2017 ( registration number YT10 MWG Picture I took back in 2017 attached ) At that time it had 23,000 miles on the clock and was in pristine condition. It drove very nicely , was sure footed, and the steering precise. The suspension was firm but not uncomfortably so. The burble from the exhaust was great. However I finally purchased my R172 SLK55 the reasons being that the seller of the R171 SLK55 wanted 拢23,000. For a newer R172 I paid at the time 拢27,000 with 28,000 miles on the clock. The seats in the R172 are much more comfortable than my 350 and the 55 I test drove. The R172 handles very well and it certainly has plenty of grunt with it 420BHP M152 engine. The car is also cheaper to run ( with cylinder deactivation on a motorway cruise mine returns 35mpg ) and the road fund licence is also cheaper. In terms of rarity just over 9,000 of the R171 SLK55 were produced worldwide. The R172 SLK55 is a rarer car with just over 3,600 cars produced worldwide.

With regard to noise the exhaust does blip on the R172. It is however quieter than the R171 because of the exhaust flaps on the inboard tips which progressively open as the revs build up to 3,000 when they are fully open.

I do look at SLK55 adverts and saw the one I testdrove recently advertised so would not be surprised if that is the one you are interested in. It was certainly a very nice car 3 years ago. Good luck.
DSC_0422.JPG

Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
I went from 350 r171 to 55 r171
12 happy years now

look at my driving story section videos for the fun I am having! :D

Registered 2008 SLK350
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much to you all. Yes, Martin that's the very same car. It still looks superb with only about 38k miles on it. I know I will love either of them. The 2010 is way under half the price to register here - about 450 Euros as over 10 yeqrs old, whereas the R172 will be about 1400 Euros. Also, there is a rumour that the French government is going to hugely increase the registration tax for high CV cars. This could happen in January, and although I can apply for French registration as soon as the car arives, it can take months to process. Knowing them, they will charge the new rate regardless. Whatever it goes up to, the 2010 car should be half price. The 171 is about 拢19k to buy privately with an 18 month warranty (not sure if valid in France), and the 172 is 拢24.8k from a very helpful dealer with 33k miles on the clock and a 3 month warranty. I always preferred the look of the R171, but the R172 has really grown on me. I adore a loud V8 rumble, and must concentrate on the driving experience, and not my wallet or depreciation. Thanks again, Paul.

you said:

I always preferred the look of the R171

That is your heart speaking...listen to it :D

This vid before Supercharger....
With Kleemann ECU tune and headers only

Either way
here is pickup checklist and r171 buying guide link

I have a 2012 R172 55 with p30 pack (sport suspension, LSD etc) and my wife has a 2004 R171 350 with sport suspension and the 172 is certainly a lot smoother ride as it soaks up the bumps better. I also find the seats more comfortable in the 172.

Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
You already own(ed) an R171 350. Your next step up should be the newer, more modern, more HP, more comfortable, and certainly better-looking model - R172... As a deal-closer for you, the R172 55 you are considering is equipped with the upgraded AMG sports suspension and LSD. What is their not to like?

You know it is the one you want, you are just arguing with yourself... Just. Do. It.

ps: not an apple-to-apple comparison, but I went from a R171 05 55 to a R172 13 350. The newer car is a more modern version of the SLK with better/more comfortable seats, newer COMAND system, newer technology, newer everything... Period. And here it is in white color as you like it (y) just add the V8 motor and you are good to go..

-57-.jpg

Reactions: savcom and Trev5

Sorry to tell you those SLS wheels are horrible and make your car look stupid......now do yourself a favour and take them off, box them up and send them to me, I鈥檒l dispose of them for you (on my SLK)馃ぃ

Seriously......looking great mate, I need a set of those in my life(y)

Sorry to tell you those SLS wheels are horrible and make your car look stupid......now do yourself a favour and take them off, box them up and send them to me, I鈥檒l dispose of them for you (on my SLK)馃ぃ

Seriously......looking great mate, I need a set of those in my life(y)
Hi @Mugs I was just about to proceed to my garage to begin the task of taking off those rims until I got to the end of your post... hehehe... Thanks for those nice compliments. Took me almost 4 years to finally find a set worth keeping and gotta thank Trev (@Trev5) for his help on making it possible.

Registered 2008 SLK350
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all your help, which has been absolutely fantastic!!! I really loved the white R171, but In the end I went for the R172, and have to wait until mid October until it arrives here, due to the lack of car transport companies going across the English Channel at the moment......but it's on it's way soon. (y)(y)Mercedes Benz Slk 55 Amg - Magari Automotive

Excellent choice... And CONGRATS!!!!!

ps: front passenger tire needs replacement.
pps: calcite white = polar white (really bright white) =/= diamond white (creamy-white)

Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
Nice car @madmaninshed SO you can either wait till you get your new car to update your profile OR

Update your profile now
Top right, click on Account Details, then Account Settings,
In About you: model and year like: 2012 SLK55 AMG

Really good choice, you won鈥檛 be disappointed.
Looks like it has p30 pack and lots of optional extras.
Mine is calcite white too and it鈥檚 a really nice white.
Get yourself some exhaust flap simulators to unleash the great v8 sound or the Chrometec flap controller so you have them open or as factory intended at a push of a remote control button.
I鈥檝e yet to fit my Chrometec but at the moment I鈥檓 enjoying flaps open 100% of the time.

Registered 2008 SLK350
Discussion Starter #16
Hi b82012, I believe all tyres have about 4 - 5mm of tread.....did you spot a defect on the front passenger tyre please? If so, I'll ask them to replace it.
Hi MUGS, exhaust flap simulators?? I've looked at the Chrometec system, which looks good. How do you have flaps open all the time please? (probably a silly question) :unsure:

Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
see attached thread on the exhaust flaps - there are a few more threads on here about these.
regards
neil

Hi b82012, I believe all tyres have about 4 - 5mm of tread.....did you spot a defect on the front passenger tyre please? If so, I'll ask them to replace it.
Here is the picture of the tire as in the dealer pics. It could well be due simply to a low pressure, but better to be sure the tire itself is not defective.

AMG_tires_low.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts