Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Jeff,

Sorry, yes I updated my profile with car info.

I joined this in 2008, and I thought I already did that intro, excuses if it's not the case, but it is so long time ago.

Regards.

Ray

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,105 Posts
No problem
:D
I will remove my welcome here and please post a welcome thread
You did not have one earlier :D

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,105 Posts
They will when they wake up

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
How much do they weigh? And is that more than the weight of the factory wheel? Any additional kilograms added by the wheels is unsprung weight, the enemy of good handling, braking, and acceleration. Since your SLK200 is the most power-limited of the breed, I would advise tossing style considerations into the rubbish tip and finding the lightest wheel possible which meets the TUV quality standards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I have no idea about the weight, that's something to find out. I searched and nothing so far...

But respect the style tip, I can understand from your words that the SLK200 is so power-limited car that does not deserve nice rims? All those rims meet the TUV.

Sure if I really wanted a fast car I would buy another car. But a SLK, whatever the model, is pure style, so I would not buy ugly light rims to go faster.

Regards.

How much do they weigh? And is that more than the weight of the factory wheel? Any additional kilograms added by the wheels is unsprung weight, the enemy of good handling, braking, and acceleration. Since your SLK200 is the most power-limited of the breed, I would advise tossing style considerations into the rubbish tip and finding the lightest wheel possible which meets the TUV quality standards.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
In normal use I think the difference in weight you're going to encounter , isn't going to affect performance considerably ....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Raiky;2067889 But respect the style tip said:
No, was not implying that at all. Merely that if you add unsprung weight, you will feel that the car is more sluggish in it's response. with wider rubber, it may have higher ultimate grip in corners, so you can take those slightly faster but the additional mass affects how quickly you accelerate and brake from that speed. And lower-power cars are more obvious about that since you can't just pin the accelerator to overcome the greater rolling inertia. I love the color-matched 17s on my '04 Jetta TDI, but the difference in acceleration is dramatic with those rims on instead of the factory 15s...because they are significantly heavier. I'll accept the tradeoff on my daily driver, but not on my SLK.

·
Banned
801 Posts
The MB OEM wheels are always quite tasteful, and I'd choose a used set assuming they fit. BTW, fit is a long story in itself. Don't buy anything unless you are really sure it fits. In the case of used, I'd drive to the seller and check the fit in person.

Weight is another issue. I wouldn't buy any wheel heavier than the OEM. Also I wouldn't go any bigger than 18". Wheels are easily damaged with a short shoulder height and tires get expensive when you plus 1 or 2.

There are an awful lot of junk wheels on the market, but you can find a lot of used quality ones too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.