Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SoCal,
Join us for our road trip to visit the natural splendor of Death Valley April 5-6, 2014. This is a reschedule of the December trip that was cancelled due to rain/cold/snow.

We did a similar trip in late 2011 and it was a great success. This is for those that couldn't go, or that just can't get enough of the beauty of Death Valley!

Waypoints:
Pick a place to meet up with the caravan to Death Valley:

San Diego Secondary Waypoint, Call Time 7:30 am Sharp
North County Fair shopping mall, 272 E Via Rancho Pkwy, Escondido, CA. This mall is also called Westfield North County Mall. This linked picture (CLICK!!) shows a general area to meet at. As you can see the parking lot is enormous, so we'll be on the look out for you. There's two gas stations (Chevron and Shell) across the street from the parking area. It's best to fill up the tanks before meeting in the parking area.

Orange County Secondary Waypoint, Call Time 7:30 am, Depart 8:00 am
REI at Tustin Marketplace
2962 El Camino Real Tustin, CA 92782
This is a large parking lot, meet in the area closest to Jamboree. Easy right turns out of the lot to I-5 North. This is for our OC members.

Adelanto Primary Waypoint, Call Time 9:30 am, Depart ASAP
Richardson Park
11500 Air Base Road, Adelanto, CA 92301
Turning off 395, there is a large parking lot on the right side past Adelanto City Hall. This is a large park parking lot, so it should be empty. If not, City Hall is next door with even more parking. This is a catch all for North LA / San Diego members since it is on our route out of the LA basin.

Itinerary:
4/5 - 8:00AM - Leave secondary waypoints with full tanks.

4/5 - 12:30PM - Lunch and fuel stop in Trona, at
Esparza Family Restuarant 13223 Main St Trona, CA 93562.
Gas is at: 82264 TRONA RD, TRONA, CALIFORNIA, 93562
It's either a Shell, Chevron or Texaco depending on the source of the information.
It's helpful to get gas here and avoid the famously high prices in the park.

4/5 - Afternoon - Enter Death Valley National Park, see Mesquite Sand dunes and Mosaic Canyon (time permitting). If there is something you want to see in particular we can adjust itinerary accordingly.

4/5 - Late afternoon/Evening - drive to Beatty to stay overnight.
Death Valley Inn
651 South Highway 95, Beatty, NV

4/6 - 9:00 am - Drive from Beatty back into the park, stop for gas in Furnace Creek if need be, see Golden Canyon, do Artists Drive, check out Badwater.

4/6 - Afternoon - Have lunch at somewhere, depending on when everyone is hungry (suggest bringing snacks just in case). Some possibilities:
Mad Greek
72112 Baker Boulevard, Baker, CA
or
Crowbar Cafe & Saloon
California 127, Shoshone, CA 92384

4/6 - Afternoon - Hit the 15 at Baker, gas up and drive home.

Guaranteed to be a fun trip for all involved. Sign up in the thread below if you plan on coming, and please declare the waypoint you plan to initially meet the others at. If there are lots of folks coming from a particular direction, we can put in additional waypoints as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting the list:
1. ponia003 (OC Waypoint)

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,919 Posts
2. Durkatlon (SD Waypoint)

Dan, thanks for getting this out. I've been super-swamped at work and don't seem to do much besides work and sleep for the past few weeks... :(

Looking forward to this trip!! Hopefully this time it will not be too warm, and not too cold, and not too wet or snowy lol, but JUST right! :tu:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
3. Etyu (OC Waypoint)

Let us know when we need to make reservations for Death Valley Inn
651 South Highway 95, Beatty, NV.

Got link?

·
4,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reservations made by phone, check-in April 5, check-out April 6. Cost was $70.78.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Reservations made by phone, check-in April 5, check-out April 6. Cost was $70.78.
Just called and made reservation. Cost $70.79.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Just called and made reservations also. 70.79.

·
1,295 Posts
3. Etyu (OC Waypoint)
4. Pwslk (SD Waypoint)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Tempting. Just arrived from a skiing trip to Mammoth. I have to get the car serviced before so until then cannot confirm. Definitely cannot drive to the middle of the desert before then.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Just confirmed for $78.43. I asked why the price was higher, she said those are single room rates ($70.49). So...am I the only one bringing my wife? She won't like being the only gal much. :confused:

Also, haven't decided on a waypoint yet. We're in Moreno Valley. What route will you OC guys be taking? Are you planning to converge somewhere before Adelanto? Or can we hookup on the 215?

·
4,919 Posts
Just confirmed for $78.43. I asked why the price was higher, she said those are single room rates ($70.49). So...am I the only one bringing my wife? She won't like being the only gal much. :confused:

Also, haven't decided on a waypoint yet. We're in Moreno Valley. What route will you OC guys be taking? Are you planning to converge somewhere before Adelanto? Or can we hookup on the 215?
Perhaps people are lying when asked how many people are going to be showing up :D. I am planning to go solo for this trip though, but bringing the wife to the Tahoe trip in May.

Regarding meeting up. I think the OC folks will be joining the 15 at the 91. San Diego folks are coming up 15 all the way. We have the option of taking 215, but in the past that hasn't always worked out so well. Is it 3 lanes most of the way now, or can a single wayward 18-wheeler still cause a nice back-up? If you think 15 to 215 back to 15 would be a good option, the San Diego group can go that way and meet up with you somewhere around Moreno Valley.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Perhaps people are lying when asked how many people are going to be showing up :D. I am planning to go solo for this trip though, but bringing the wife to the Tahoe trip in May.

Regarding meeting up. I think the OC folks will be joining the 15 at the 91. San Diego folks are coming up 15 all the way. We have the option of taking 215, but in the past that hasn't always worked out so well. Is it 3 lanes most of the way now, or can a single wayward 18-wheeler still cause a nice back-up? If you think 15 to 215 back to 15 would be a good option, the San Diego group can go that way and meet up with you somewhere around Moreno Valley.
I could have lied and saved $8?? :p

My bad, I think I got my OC and SD groups confused. I meant to ask if the SD group was going to come up the 215, but you answered it. :tu:

The 91 can get ugly, so maybe I'll make a 60/15 connection. I'll give it more thought tomorrow. 5am comes real early, so I'm a bit wiped out to even think it through right now...heading to bed.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Updated list:

3. Etyu (OC Waypoint)
4. Pwslk (SD Waypoint)
5. mbpaul (SD Waypoint)
6. DesignoSLK ( ? Waypoint)

·