Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread on today's meet and drive to Death Valley.

Many many thanks to Dan (ponia003) for planning the trip and Durk (Durkatlon) for being the pathfinder.
Thanks also to Kevin (DesgnoSLK), Paul (mbpaul) and Peter (PWSLK) for taking time away and coming. So far it has been a very pleasant drive, with some unexpected roads (think 3-4 miles of gravel and dust). Lunch at Esparza Family Restaurant was yummy and tonight's dinner at local Bar and Pizza place was worthwhile especially when we have left SLKWorld's mark on the wall next to the yellow R170 (Durk et al will probably post the photos).

We had some opportunity with some undulating roads. A certain Designo R170 may have went airborne by a few inches under well controlled conditions. ;)

Great hike on the Sand Dunes where someone may have overheated and had to cool down inside an air-conditioned R171. Fine desert sand had to be removed before returning to our respective vehicles, so we sat on the curb removing shoes and socks and clearing the fine powder.

We visited a "Brothel" & a jail, and some entered some abandoned mines.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,919 Posts
Posted entirely from my phone, so keeping it brief.

Meet up in Adelanto

Trona. A very industrial looking mining town (mineral mining)

Shots from the road

At the Sourdough Saloon in Beatty. This place has an R170 AMG nose mounted on the wall! We put a marked up dollar bill on the walk next to it with the SLKWorld calling card. I don't have pictures of this on my phone, but will post from my camera when I get home. In the mean time here's Kevin, Dan and Peter.

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7:30 am, all alone at OC waypoint (Dan shows up close to 8am, as scheduled):

At Adelanto primary waypoint where it was windy and in the upper 40's:

At Esparza Family restaurant in Trona (after a sharp 90-degree turn from northbound 395):
Going clockwise from left: Kevin, Dan (partially obscured), Paul, Peter and Durk.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lunch photos:

At Trona parking lot for lunch:

At entrance to Death Valley National Park:

Taken at parking lot at Stovepipe where we bought National Park tickets (hope the dust is not obvious):

·
Registered
902 Posts
Posted entirely from my phone, so keeping it brief.

Meet up in Adelanto

Trona. A very industrial looking mining town (mineral mining)

Shots from the road

At the Sourdough Saloon in Beatty. This place has an R170 AMG nose mounted on the wall! We put a marked up dollar bill on the walk next to it with the SLKWorld calling card. I don't have pictures of this on my phone, but will post from my camera when I get home. In the mean time here's Kevin, Dan and Peter.

As usual great group and nice pictures just like our last adventure, wish I was there but due to March madness final four lots of parties during and after the games. You know here, we don't sleep at night.:bannana:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,487 Posts
ETYU did you say dirt roads?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Well guys, I just arrived home at 8:30pm...hope the rest of you got back safely.
Thanks to Durk for leading/coordinating this trip..it was fabulous. And also to Dan for setting up the trip.

Great to see Eddy, Durk, Dan and Paul again, and meet Kevin for the first time.

I'll post pictures when I get settled.

Durk and Paul, did you guys take the 15 or 215 back?
I decided to follow the navi and took 215..definitely a lot less congestion than the 15.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
As Eddy mentioned, this is where we parked while we had lunch in Trona.

There was a great moment when we came back out..there was some kids, probably preteens that were in the back seat of a car driven by their mother that was passing in front of our cars.. the kids yell out
"Those cars are SICK!"

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got home close to 8 pm. 15 south was congested around Barstow and again at Victorville. It lightened up after the 10 freeway interchange.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More photos from today:

At parking lot, Harmony Borax Works:

Interpretive trail, Harmony Borax Works

Transport for water tank and for purified Borax:

Another view of transport/caravan:

Look at the size of them brakes, look like AMG with organic brake pads :biglaugh:

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At Golden Canyon parking lot:

At Artists Palette:

Glamour shot (will probably be submitted in ROTM later by Kevin):

Photo op on our way out of Arists Palette

Looking towards Death Valley:

That's all I have for now. Others will be posting theirs soon.

·
4,919 Posts
ETYU did you say dirt roads?
For some reason this always happens when we do a multi-day outing with the SoCal group. There's always off-roading involved. This time we were on our way from Trona to the park, when suddenly there is a sign saying "Pavement Ends", and sure enough it did. After a few miles of tearing through the gravel at about 45mph fishtailing all over the place, my car looked like this:

Some pictures of the Mesquite Sand Dunes.

Dan had taken a slightly different route vs Paul and I, as you can see in this shot :D:

Some ruins in Rhyolite:

and a scary mine shaft!

The SLK front-end on display in the Sourdough Saloon in Beatty, NV. Sorry I was wrong as Kevin confirmed: it is not an AMG nose. Still though, what are the chances!!??!

In this bar, people mark up paper currency, mostly dollar bills and staple them to the wall. So we did one for this trip, and stapled it right next to the SLK of course.

A permanent token to remember the trip by. If anyone ever finds themselves in Beatty, go to the Sourdough Saloon and check it out!

Well guys, I just arrived home at 8:30pm...hope the rest of you got back safely.
I got home at 8:30p as well. I took the 15 and it was not bad. My sooper-sekret backroad to bypass the agriculture-checkpoint on I-15 didn't work to my advantage this time, as I ended up behind Peter and Kevin, but I caught up with them again soon after. I lost both again in the traffic congestion on the Cajon Pass descent. I think I saw Paul wizz by when we were almost in Escondido.

Attachments

·
4,919 Posts
Breakfast at Mel's Diner across the street from our hotel. Excellent choice by Dan picking this place.

Brembo Big Brake kit on the 20-mule borax train on display in the Harmony Borax Works.

Kevin in one of the slot canyons at Golden Canyon.

The gang at Artist's Palette.

Snow on the top of Telescope Peak. Hard to understand when it was quite a boiler in the valley itself today (90+ degrees).

The line-up. I'm sure more pictures will be posted of this locale.

Cool salt crystals on the dry lake bed at Badwater.

On the way out of the park, we got some "spirited" driving under our belts and after that it was time for the final meal of the trip in Shoshone at the Crowbar. We got a great table outside. It was a nice way to relax a little after a pretty full day of sightseeing and driving.

Thanks everyone for coming. It was a great trip and I had a fantastic time. It was good to see the old faces and meet Kevin who was there for the first time for a SoCal event, even though he had been to the '09 Vegas event, and is of course a forum veteran. Really good meeting you Kevin, and it sounds like we'll meet again next month in Tahoe!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip! Wondering how there can still be dirt roads in a major destination such as this. D:
I remember our adventure around Mammoth, that was a bit jarring...

·
4,919 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip! Wondering how there can still be dirt roads in a major destination such as this. D:
I remember our adventure around Mammoth, that was a bit jarring...
I think it was just road construction. But it was not announced in advance when we still had a chance to take an alternative route.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Awesome trip. It was great to see Eddy, Durk, Paul and Peter and meet Kevin for the first time.

Some highlights:
- Driving through one of the valleys away from Trona, heard multiple roars from a jet engine, very loud even with the top down at 65 mph. Eventually saw an F-18 or F-22 fly directly overhead.

- Driving from Trona to Death Valley was the infamous unmarked construction area. Checked for closed/under construction roads before we left. Apparently they didn't feel the need to report this one. Took it at 25 mph to try and keep the rocks off the fenders. Glad to have a silver car, dirt was almost invisible.

- Sand dunes in the park were fun to climb on. Not used to having so much sand were there is no ocean. Got a little overheated, thankful for the A/C system in the 280.

- Had fun exploring different areas of Rhyolite including a very creepy old mineshaft.

- Stapling the "SLK dollar" to the Sourdough Saloon in Beatty.

- Going from 56 F temperatures in Beatty to 88 F in Death Valley over the span of approx 1 hour. Removal of layers was required.

Good food, good friends and no downpours on the way home made for a good trip. Loosely drove with other group members on the drive home, stuck with Paul for a bit on the 15 until the traffic hit at Adelanto. Then stayed with Eddy until the last part of the Cajon Pass. Eventually saw him again pulling into the toll plaza on CA 241.

And now the photos:

Paul and Durk on the other side of the sand dune:

Raiders of the Lost Ark, SLK World edition:

Old train station in Rhyolite ghost town:

Overview of the ghost town:

Ruined bank with a photo of how it once looked:

The official group photo:

Another view of the group with the snow capped montains in the background:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts