Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very interesting experience with my local MB Dealership (MB of Long Beach, CA). It was my second service visit and, unlike my first experience with this dealer, it did not go well. Let's just say an overzealous staff member went way overboard. To fix a leak in the right rear tire, he replaced the two rear tires (I acquiesced on this, as I was tired of dealing with the leak). He failed to tell me that there would be an extra $150.00 charge to align the wheels after the new tires were put on. He told me my battery needed changing because it was 'a little slow' in starting. I said no, but my wife said to get it anyway. The car was not ready on time (after my wife dropped me off to pick it up at the appointed time). I was given a bad loaner, because I was on my way to dialysis. When I got back, the car was presented as ready to go, but the top cover in the trunk was loose and a piece was missing. When I got home I read the bill, and the first the I saw was "Battery tested good." The second thing I saw was "left front and left rear wheels are bent. Recommend replacing." Funny how the customer service guy never even mentioned that.

I wrote a letter to the Service Manager, with a copy to MBUSA, detailing my very bad experience (in a nutshell, I got the "Joe's Garage" experience rather than the "MB Dealer" experience.

I am pleased to report that the Service Manager contacted me, apologized for my experience, and asked for the chance to "make it right." And he did. He removed the charge for the wheel alignment and the battery, and offered to repair or replace the damaged wheels at not cost to me.

I not only accepted, I went ahead and ordered the new front bumper (protruding bolt in a concrete bumper in a parking lot).

I don't know why I had the initial horrible experience, but I must say that the dealership affirmatively acted to rectify the situation and turn that experience around. My hat is tipped to them today, and will be even more when I get my baby back on Monday (I do not like the brand new GLK 350 they gave me to drive while they fix my SLK).

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,370 Posts
Glad things worked out the 2nd (or was it the 3rd time :D)!

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
1,274 Posts
Good on the Service Manager for making it right. It would appear that your service writer, if still employed, is due some remedial training in the fundamentals of his job. Among other things, it's obvious that he didn't communicate with the technician about what the real problems were with your wheels and was way off base in insisting on an alignment merely because wheels were off to replace tires. If the alignment were recommended as a result of having discovered bent wheels, that's entirely different and appropriate. Wheels are tough; if they are bent or cracked it's because they've smacked something hard...hard enough to do that damage and possibly tweak the alignment as well. But that isn't what you're intrepid upseller told you.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
Glad that the MB service dept made it right. I have had nothing but seedy experiences so I rather take it to an Indy shop that specializes in MBs. They treat me good and give me fair advice.

Reactions: aaaaaal
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.