Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dealership broke my C Pillar Panel?

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Avel Du 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi friends,

So I brought in my car to the dealership about a month ago to replace the back C pillar panels. I got my car back a week later and everything was smooth sailing until I put the top down for a joy ride one day and it was probably a day or two after that I was driving with winds on the freeway and heard a loud bang sound coming from the car which scared the **** out of me. After I had parked my car and was about to head over to work, I noticed that my back C pillar was missing! And upon closer inspection you can see there are no clips and there‘s glue residue.. why is there glue?! The dealership is claiming that the clips/screws were probably broken by “someone else” and that when they replaced the pillars they just placed the glue in the wrong areas. Is this correct or did they damage my panel/pillar? I never had an issue with my back panels the whole 2-3 years I’ve owned this car.
I brought my car back in yesterday for them to replace the C pillar, was told it would be a 1-day job, but now they are saying they’re looking for stronger adhesive and will probably need to keep the car longer! I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is an inconvenience as I have a super busy schedule and I am currently using a rental car which I only planned to rent for a day (out of my own pocket). Why didn’t they plan this out before I brought my car back in. I gave them a couple of weeks to prepare and to find a solution, but they are still having trouble. Any advice or words of encouragement for me? I’ve also attached a picture below.

Thank you

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

See less See more
#2 ·
The dealership is claiming that the clips/screws were probably broken by “someone else” and that when they replaced the pillars they just placed the glue in the wrong areas.
Whatever else is argued, they just coughed to using the wrong procedure.

@WoZ53 You know the USA market better ;)

#5 ·
you need to get the part number (from us) and purchase one or 2 of the C pillar covers :D

#6 ·
#7 ·
This is how it is removed/replaced
this is for a r171 but should be the same

#19 ·
Reference:

Regarding:
procedure in post 7 above for r171 fyi
I was just about to say the same thing regarding the R171, it is slightly different to R172, same principal though.
The R172 photos the OP has posted looks to have 3 broken clips on the car side of the retainer, two at top and one at bottom, normally you would not need any adhesive etc to attach this trim it just slides on, unless they (your workshop) replace two parts 1. The whole C pillar side cover. 2. The cover trim, you won't have any other option but to use something stronger such as neoprene or windscreen sealant, and mostly at the top, and scuffed so it wont come apart like it did in the first place. This is all good to stay there but it will give you trouble if you even need to remove it. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
see post 7 above for diy
no glue is needed unless clips missing

#12 ·
I think the clips were broken which is why they used glue :/ and tried to cover it up haha. My pillars never had an issue before so I’m assuming the clips were in place before I brought my car in to the dealership to replace the pillars for the first time.

#11 ·
post your vin and get free datacard :D

#13 ·
I am no expert but I know the panel clips on to the roof on the 172 and not glued on like the 171.
To remove that panel you would lift the bottom left hand side ( a round hole there for the clip) and slide it up slightly to release it.
Looks to my old eyes that some of the clips on the left are broken, the first one up from the bottom looks ok but not sure about the others?
Has someone perhaps treated it like a 171 and tried to prize it off?

#23 ·
I am no expert but I know the panel clips on to the roof on the 172 and not glued on like the 171.
To remove that panel you would lift the bottom left hand side ( a round hole there for the clip) and slide it up slightly to release it.
Looks to my old eyes that some of the clips on the left are broken, the first one up from the bottom looks ok but not sure about the others?
Has someone perhaps treated it like a 171 and tried to prize it off?
171 does not use glue.

#15 ·
Thank you all for the responses. It’s been a tremendous support so far. I have no clue as to what really happened, but the dealership is saying the previous old pillar had already been glued on and that the clips were already broken way before. I’m the second owner of the vehicle, but never had an issue with the pillars coming loose. I don’t want to play the blame game so I will just leave it at that. They said they are using a stronger adhesive now and need to let it cure overnight. Will see how these next few weeks go, I guess. Hopefully I won’t have another surprise in the future.

#17 ·
They are not extortionately expensive to replace with new - but they are challenging to fit. I did both of mine a few weeks ago, and it wasn't as easy as i expected, and with too much force the clips I would think are easily broken. If glue doesn't work - get a new pair.

#18 ·
procedure in post 7 above for r171 fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.